Oh Brother Where Art Thou

McTag

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 07:06 am
I fulfilled an ambition I have held for some time by seeing this film this week.
It was very enjoyable, and very strange. based on Greek legend, they say, Homer's Odyssey.
But I didn't see any donuts, and Marge was nowhere to be seen.

The music of the soundtrack was fascinating, not only authentic bluegrass but a weird version of "You got to walk the lonesome valley" which was very different from any versions of that song I had ever heard.

Is that the "original" way it was sung? Anyone any comment on the film, the genre, the music in general or particular points?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,707 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 07:11 am
er, no because I haven't seen it. Should I? Question
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 07:14 am
Steve- I've told you not to email me when I'm at work......
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 07:16 am
Is that what you call it?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 07:52 am
I really enjoyed the movie, and the soundtrack, despite the absence of The Simpsons. As for the version of the song you mentioned, well, in typical 'folk' tradition, different interperetations are pretty much a free for all. I have a recording of 'O Death' by a band called Hesperus, which mixes medieval music with Appalachian tunes. It's fantastic. I also love Ralph Stanley's acapella version from the movie.
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 07:54 am
i remember reading an article once on christian music and how "oh brother where art thou" is the way it should be done.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 03:40 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Is that what you call it?
Certainly. Taking my lunch in the office (al desko), I can allow myself a little peep into the etherworld.
Do yourself a favour, get it out on DVD, they'll be writing PhD thesiseses on it for years to come.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 03:47 pm
The type of music, called Sacred Harp was used in a number of songs in the movie. Songs like "Down to the River to Pray" These songs rely on harmonics, similar to the music of the Luvin Brothers (Theres a new album called Livin Lovin Luvin which features a number of the Luvin Brothers songs in harmonic and octave harmonies) Its a sound that, once you get used to it, you really love it.

I used to work near Mingo West Virginia and I would actually go to church on Sundays just to listen to the hymns. (Boy if they only knew)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 05:44 pm
Ahhhhh, wonderfully authentic music in that film. One of the only 'grown-up' movies I've really enjoyed in the last, hmmmmm, 3 or 4 years.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 06:29 pm
I loved the movie too. Had no idea what it was about when I went into the theater. That's a good way to see most flicks. Anyway, some friends of mine are off to see the Blind Boys of Alabama tonight.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 06:32 pm
ohh, the Blind Boys. I'm so peeved with myself that I didn't check the 'what's happening in Columbus, Ohio' site before I went down last week. They were there on Saturday night with Mavis Staples, and I would have LOVED to be at concert.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 06:40 pm
I can't wait to hear about it.....
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 08:13 pm
The mysticism running through this movie works well, what with the blind oracle; the sheriff, who I think represents the devil, or Poseidon wreaking his revenge on Odysseus; the Sirens, etc. It doesn't get hokey. It just lends itself to a bemused befuddlement, like when Ulysses sees the cow on the tin roof, and shakes his head realizing the completion of the oracle.

I've noticed there's a strong current of mysticism in quite a few movies recently, like most of M. Night Shyamalan's movies; Frailty, who's mysticism was unsettling; etc.

I like the mysticism in Like Water for Chocolate.

Another very mystical movie is Miracle in Rome written by the "magic realist" himself, Gabriel García Márquez.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 09:12 pm
WOW....so that explains that movie!!!!.....Watched it.....liked it...love the music.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 10:43 pm
Mavis Staples?! Now that's a name I haven't heard in a couple of decades. Glad to hear she's still performing. That woman can blow!
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 12:22 am
I just ripped-off some songs* from the soundtrack, am listening to them right now. Upon hearing these folkloric songs again, especially the spirituals, it's obvious that the strength of this movie is it's music, and that is what lends a certain amount of credence to the misticism. At least for me, that's why it dosen't get hokey.

*will delete files in twenty-four hours.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 03:37 pm
InfraBlue, can you tell me how to rip-off songs from the soundtrack?
(And delete soon after, obviously)

I nearly bought the film on DVD in a music shop today. I may do this when I get a DVD player. Smile

McT
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 04:37 pm
PhDthesiseses

Thanks McTag, I haven't bought a DVD in a while, and unlike you I do have a DVD player

Was Phydythedeeses a Platonist?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 11:33 pm
I ripped off the songs through Kazaa.
0 Replies