salvation starts with rice.

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 10:44 am
last evening the door bell rings, I answer it. 2 teenagers with a sign that signs raising money for bible-school. "Hi, would you be interested in buying some rice to help us pay for summer bible school?
They show me a bag of rice, appears to be about 1 pound.
I say "what kind if rice?" the girl answers "regular rice, normal white rice."
"Well, I say, how much is it?"
"$10,00 per bag" he says.
I say "I can't afford that much summer bible school" They shrugged and left.
I probably need to go look at our curb to see if they left "666" to warn other summer bible schoolers.
How much should a pound of normal white rice cost?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 15 • Views: 4,080 • Replies: 28

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 10:46 am
@dyslexia,
I bought a 5-pound bag yesterday for $3.00, long-grain Basmati.

So, yeah. A little markup there.

Cycloptichorn
Rockhead

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 10:46 am
@dyslexia,
a buck and a half, till you add the jesus.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 10:47 am
@dyslexia,
less than a buck

they're not selling rice - they're asking for a donation - and giving you the rice

going back a decade or two, fund-raisers figured out that they got more donations if the donors got something back for the donation

in a lot of jurisdictions, the idea is to keep the amount of the individual donations below the point at which they have to issue charitable donation receipts for tax purposes - the paperwork on that eats up too much of the donation
dyslexia

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 10:59 am
@ehBeth,
you know I might have considered a donation (not $10) but a few bucks had they just asked for a donation. In spite of my reputation I don't hate christians, puppies, californians or mormons.
snood

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 11:14 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

you know I might have considered a donation (not $10) but a few bucks had they just asked for a donation. In spite of my reputation I don't hate christians, puppies, californians or mormons.

I have information that suggests you do hate puppies.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 11:26 am
You might have bought ten pounds in Roger's name.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 12:08 pm
I hear we're taking up a collection to send Roger to summer bible school...

I'm in Wink
George

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 12:13 pm
. . . how about sending Dys to a rice paddy?

I'll sell bibles to help pay for it.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 12:29 pm
And think of the money we could make if we had pictures of Dys working in the Bible Summer School Rice Paddy.?

Joe(mebbe we could get him to wear one of those big hats?)Nation
roger

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 12:52 pm
@JPB,
Sponsored by The Church of Holy Craps, Las Vegas, NV

Rog(can't win if you don't play)er
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 01:07 pm
That boy has to refine his marketing style.

Driving through Rollingwood (population 1,403, median family income $117,851) yesterday, I noticed they had the sign up in front of the Baptist church for "Vacation Bible School"

3 words that ought never appear together.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 01:08 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

And think of the money we could make if we had pictures of Dys working in the Bible Summer School Rice Paddy.?

Joe(mebbe we could get him to wear one of those big hats?)Nation

yeah, we could post pics of The Dys working in the rice paddy right next to the Summer Bible School students also working in the rice paddy (I'm sure it's air conditioned) to be fair there are many christians who do work in rice paddys (and other odious labours) in their ministries to the poor.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 04:56 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Last rice I bought was Cal-Rose, a Japanese short grain rice, 5 lbs for something like $3.50..Y

You're a nice guy, though, Dys. I don't answer the door..
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 05:37 pm
@dyslexia,
Uh huh. I know one that is part of a house building group. Witness or Advenist, or something like that. I think they're kind of weird, but they do put their money where their mouths are, in a manner of speaking.

They don't sell rice - or houses, for that matter.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 11:40 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

dyslexia wrote:

I have information that suggests you do hate puppies.

Word! And kittens, damn you.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 06:40 am
And what about the printed address stickers you get in the mail from the animal rights people, gardent groups, veterans, girls' homes, etc. etc.?

All printed with my name (gads, where do they get all my name versions (Sue, Susan, Susan Kay) and the name of my little business I had years ago?)

I figure it's a gift but then feel guilty using them. Figure if I use them I should send a donation. But by doing so, then I have joined their cult.
Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 07:02 am
@dyslexia,
Quote:
last evening the door bell rings, I answer it. 2 teenagers with a sign that signs raising money for bible-school. "Hi, would you be interested in buying some rice to help us pay for summer bible school?

That is quite a spin on begging, which is really what the whole thing was about. Maybe I could go around with bags of popcorn to help pay for a trip to a spa. That would help me spiritually more than a vacation Bible school! Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 07:05 am
@PUNKEY,
IMO, anything like the name labels that you describe that you get in the mail is a gift. You have absolutely no obligation to pay for them. You did not ask for them. Thing is, those groups that send out the labels are counting on people feeling guilty.

I give to certain charities of my choice. That choice has absolutely NO correlation with them sending me anything.
roger

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 09:19 am
@Phoenix32890,
You mean, you don't even pay people who rush out at intersections and scrub your windshield with a greasy rag?