What do you know about tire treatments.

roger

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 11:51 pm
What I'm looking for is something to protect tires from sun, ozone, and dog urine. I don't drive so much that the tread wears out before I get cracks and deterioration on the sidewalls, and it's not especially important the the tires look black, shiny, or wet. Just well preserved.

Maybe I should just have a fire hydrant installed for the neighbors dogs?

View best answer, chosen by roger
farmerman

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 03:46 am
@roger,
SOmebody threw a whole bag of groceries on the rod near my property. Maybe they just lost it from the back of a pickup. ANyway, there was a can of tire treatment. It was to be rubbed on to protect and give a nice "not too wet" look to the tire walls. It semeeled mostly like a toluene mixed with something else.(I would imagine that it was good for huffing, if I were so inclined).

I put some on the tires and watched it as it wore for a few days of normal driving. Youd have to keep repplying this stuff every day or so. Im not sure that it does anything but to give the illusion of newness for a few hours.
Id just get myself some pepper spray and nail the dog with that.

HAve you tried the concept of filling your tires with nitrogen gas? That actually works to keep the tire inflated to the spec pressure for much longer than air. Air can escape at a specified rate whereas nitrogen will keep inside the tire without any slow leakage due to heating and cooling.

Our state is giving grants to service centers to install these nitrogen machines. Also, the places that do fill your tires with nitrogen charge a pretty hefty fee.

dyslexia

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 06:32 am
@roger,
My suggestion is to get the tire covers sold at RV dealers, usually a vinyl cover that slips easily over the tire and protects the tire from sun "major cause of dry rot". But I'm thinking would also protect against ozone and doggie pee. Just my thought as I guess that "tire dressings" just are for appearances. I have often seen tire protectors cut from 1/4" plywood perhaps painted white for reflection.
roger

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 02:30 pm
@dyslexia,
But dys, I'm American. No way am I putting on, and removing tire covers several times a day. The treatments I have used are (I think) silicone oil based. Swell, except they are way to glossy and attract dust like round, black magnets. Furthermore, I don't know if they have any affect.

I like the pepper spray idea, farmerman, except these bug eyed little rodent looking things belong to very close neighbors who are quite tolerant of my cats' depredations. I discarded the taser idea for the same reason.

Somehow, the nitrogen treatment sounds like a very old Candid Camera skit involving an innocent looking Dorothy Collins taking the car to the service station to get the air in the tires changed. Anyhow, the issue is external cracking and weathering.

Help out with this old cycling legend while you're here though. They say that the tire inflaters using CO2 are not good because it passes through the permeable tubes faster than air. Now, CO2 is a much larger molecule than most things found in normal air. Are they just sitting around repeating stories to each other till it sounds believeable?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 03:31 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Help out with this old cycling legend while you're here though. They say that the tire inflaters using CO2 are not good because it passes through the permeable tubes faster than air. Now, CO2 is a much larger molecule than most things found in normal air. Are they just sitting around repeating stories to each other till it sounds believeable?

Most cyclists will tell ya that CO2 tire inflation is a road or emergency-use only device. I don't know the reasoning behind it, but I do know that it is very difficult to get the proper inflation using such a method.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 03:56 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

HAve you tried the concept of filling your tires with nitrogen gas? That actually works to keep the tire inflated to the spec pressure for much longer than air. Air can escape at a specified rate whereas nitrogen will keep inside the tire without any slow leakage due to heating and cooling.

Our state is giving grants to service centers to install these nitrogen machines. Also, the places that do fill your tires with nitrogen charge a pretty hefty fee.

Nitrogen's no good. What happens if an assassin forces you off the road into a pond or the ocean and he stays around waiting for you to surface.

You can't take any breaths from the tires if they're filled with nitrogen. So with your plan, you run out of air, return to the surface and then? Blammo!! Shot in the head! The assassin wins!
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 05:34 pm
@tsarstepan,
That makes sense to me, tsarstepan. Um, dude, have you taken your meds today?
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 05:42 pm
@realjohnboy,
Nope. I guess I forgot to take em. Rolling Eyes
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=177764
Razz
roger

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 05:44 pm
@realjohnboy,
Makes sense to me too, but I'm more concerned with weathering and deterioration, which happens primarily from the outside in, rather than the inside out - unless one is inflating tires with oily ozone.
0 Replies

dadpad
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 06:13 pm
Armor all.

Blend of ingredients (principally silicone derivative) presented as an aerosol.

21-year-old polymer chemist named Joe Palcher invented a milky-white "miracle" formula to protect rubber, plastic and vinyl surfaces from UV radiation and ozone.
roger

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 07:44 pm
@dadpad,
Thanks for the solid answer, dadpad.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 09:08 pm
@roger,
keep it off your paint...
roger

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 09:29 pm
@Rockhead,
Yep
0 Replies

Stugotz

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 05:55 pm
@tsarstepan,
There was a man arrested for going around and letting the air out of tires in California.
When he was before the judge, the judge noticed that all of the cars that he had vandalized were from Texas. The judge asked him why texas cars? The man answered, I just wanted to have a sniff of that good old Texas air once again.

I'll be here all the week lol
roger

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 06:11 pm
@Stugotz,
I'm not at all sure I believe that one Stugotz, but I've seen some of your other posts today. I hope you're planning on staying around for more that one week.

Anything to add to the tire treatments, by the way? Right now, my left rear tire is a test bed for dog urine. That highly favored tire seems to be holding up as well as the others in terms of visible corrosion.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 10:58 am
@roger,
Stugotz, Be nice to Roger who lives in Farmington NM, He's a good friend of Butrflynet and BBB.
Stugotz

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 09:31 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Ok mom. Roger get some red pepper or cayan pepper in powder form.
Take this pepper and make a line of tooth paste about 6" long. Ad the powered pepper to the tooth paste, and mix it together real good. next go out to your car, and apply the mixture all around the lip of the rim, and this should stop fido from doing his thing.
0 Replies

shreetyres

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 12:11 am
Have you tried the concept of filling nitrogen gas in tyres? Shree Tyres provide tyre services like nitrogen filling in tyre Pune which allow best result for your vehicle.
farmerman

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 12:23 am
@shreetyres,
Since 2010 (when mr rogers published this request) Ive amended my opinion re" N2 in tires. Its probably a scam. Our atmosphere is already like 80% Nitrogen so wed only be paying money for an additional 20%, and so what?

Keep tires properly inflated and they'll wear better.

roger

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 12:29 am
@farmerman,
I agree on the N2. They (the good ones) inflate and deflate several times, and they do marginally increase mileage. My former boss's wife drive the Jag to Albuquerque to have it done by the dealer. She wanted it done right, you know. I have no idea what she paid, or how much gas she burned to get it done, but as long as she thought she was getting better mileage she was happy.

Actually, when I posted this, I was doing so little driving that my tires were suffering from weather and sun deterioration long before the tread was noticeably worn.
0 Replies