How to repair a pull-out kitchen faucet hose that wont retract?

Mon 5 Jul, 2010 06:26 pm
We have a pull-out spray style kitchen faucet that looks similar to this photo:

http://www.bombayharbor.com/productImage/Pull_Out_Kitchen_Faucet/Pull_Out_Kitchen_Faucet.jpg

The problem is that the hose won't retract. I've read several handy person/repair type sites and they refer to a weight that is supposed to be attached to the hose to help it retract. The problem is they don't specify where this weight is located and how to get to it once the faucet is installed and in use.

Do I need to dismantle the faucet parts above the sink or under the sink to locate these weights? If there is a weight attached, what do I need to adjust to get the hose to retract again?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 31,545 • Replies: 5
Topic Closed
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Butrflynet
Butrflynet

Mon 5 Jul, 2010 06:50 pm
@Butrflynet,
Never mind. I found it and fixed it. It is under the sink. The weight and hose got hung up on all the junk under the sink.
tsarstepan

Mon 5 Jul, 2010 06:53 pm
@Butrflynet,
Well then give yourself the question answered ribbon already!!
Razz
0 Replies

Region Philbis
  Selected Answer

Tue 6 Jul, 2010 02:45 am
@Butrflynet,

ours gets caught on the water-pipe valve all the time.
usually i can jimmy it free... on rare occasions i gotta get down there and unhook it...
0 Replies

ReidFoster

Fri 4 Oct, 2013 12:38 am
@Butrflynet,
It's so funny Butrflynet.
0 Replies

BrianMcCallister1

Fri 31 Jan, 2014 01:07 am
@Butrflynet,
Turn off the water to the faucet. Locate the shutoff valves for the hot and cold water supply within the cabinet underneath the sink. Alternatively, turn the water off at the main shutoff valve.
Find the small hose weight hanging from the chrome pullout hose below the sink. Some weights are comprised of plastic and are looped through the pull-out hose; other weights are brackets screwed to the hose. If your weight is screwed on, remove the weight, using a flathead screwdriver. If the weight is a plastic loop, leave the weight alone for now.
Turn on the faucet and allow any residual water in the pipes to drain into the sink. Pull out the faucet spray wand from the spout and unscrew it from the chrome pullout hose. Be careful not to drop the small washer inside the nozzle of the hose end. Unscrew a very tight connection, using the adjustable wrench. Wrap a layer of electrical tape around the jaws of the wrench to avoid damaging the screw.
Pull a few inches of the pullout hose through the spout into the sink to prevent the hose from dropping into the cabinet.
Go beneath the sink. Loop the plastic hose weight onto the hose, if necessary. Remove the hose plug. Reattach the pullout hose to the flexible, water-supply faucet hose. Tighten the connection until it is snug but not overly tight, using the adjustable wrench. Reattach the hose weight bracket with the screwdriver, if necessary.
Turn on the water supply.
Edit:Moderator(link removed)
0 Replies