whats the reason of her popularity?

Green Witch

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 04:51 am
The songs have a good beat and are easy to dance to.

I like to think she was a Jewish girl from Long Island who was captured young and raised by transvestites.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 09:34 am
Beyond the larger and more general topic of sex, she has challenged some gender norms, and not just for women. Much of her style and appeal comes from her confidence in confronting heteronormality. She is a vocal advocate for gender and sexual equality.

It's not the pants that makes the man, nor the lack of pants that makes the Gaga.

A
R
T
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 10:38 am
What I like about her, and I love her, is that she is the real deal under all that costuming. Like Madonna, and before her the Divine Miss M, Lady Gaga played in ten thousand bars before ever garnering any attention, other than what she said was "every version of no." and "you can't sing, you can't play...."

She is also fun, fun to look at, fun to listen to, fun to dance to and fun to run to. (I know people think I'm nuts but I do do some dance moves while running to her music. .....Ahem. Bad Romance is great for going up hills... )

Joe(why is that runner smiling?)Nation
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 11:26 am
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
What I like about her, and I love her, is that she is the real deal under all that costuming. Like Madonna, and before her the Divine Miss M, Lady Gaga played in ten thousand bars before ever garnering any attention, other than what she said was "every version of no." and "you can't sing, you can't play...."
She works hard, looks good, she knows a catchy tune, and she knows how to get attention...everything else remains to be seen. Britney has been hugely successful and all she has is work ethic and looks, so GaGa should do fine.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 11:54 am
@failures art,
Quote:
, she has challenged some gender norms, and not just for women. Much of her style and appeal comes from her confidence in confronting heteronormality. She is a vocal advocate for gender and sexual equality.

You are losing me there Art. This is kind of stretching it.

The manipulative, controlling woman part of her character has been around since at least Mae West, Lady Gaga is not making a dubious political statement. She is an entertainer constructing a well crafted stage persona for the purpose of selling tickets.

Lady Gaga is at her core, a sex symbol.... I don't see how you can make a sex symbol into a a feminist icon.

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 12:12 pm
@ebrown p,
Quote:
Lady Gaga is at her core, a sex symbol.... I don't see how you can make a sex symbol into a a feminist icon.
On account of her being extremely masculine....on purpose. In the telephone video at the beginning after she is thrown in the cell the jailers walk away after stripping her saying "see, I told you she didn't have a dick"...this is GaGa admitting that she is plays up the masculine.

Me, I dont think women trying to be men make for good feminists icons, but many people disagree with me on that.
sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 12:27 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hawkeye wrote:
"see, I told you she didn't have a dick"

That also goes to GreenWitch's comment, which I loved... both Madonna and Lady Gaga are kind of female drag queens. (And unsurprisingly have significant gay male fan bases.)

Gaga plays up the jolie-laide (sp?) thing more than Madonna -- Gaga's less afraid to look ugly, I think.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 12:35 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
-- Gaga's less afraid to look ugly, I think.
That has been said lately
A major piece from the WP
Quote:

The fashion industry has found a kindred spirit in Mistress Gaga, as she is willing to wear the most dramatic - and at times, absurd - runway creations onstage. Her choices are well beyond the range of average pop stars who choose their costumes for effect but also with the unwritten rule that those costumes must make them look good. There doesn't seem to be any such governing principle in Gaga's decisions. She gives herself over to shock and showmanship.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/style/fashion/articles/2010/07/02/20100702lady-gaga-not-fashion-icon-yet.html#ixzz0svdQsPGt
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 12:40 pm
http://alanjamesburns.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/ladygagagagaorbit21.jpg

She actually managed to sit down at a piano and play music wearing this thing.
Intrepid

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 01:06 pm
@DrewDad,
GaGa appears more of a drag queen than a feminine fashion statement
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 01:31 pm
I like lady gaga too Joe.

chai(what's wrong with expressing yourself?)tea
failures art

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 02:00 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:
Losing the forest for the trees Mr Brown?

A
R
T
aidan

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 02:08 pm
@failures art,
Do men find her sexy?

I think she has an amazing figure - but her voice has a sort of robotic edge to it that strikes me as distinctly UNsexy - she seems a little mechanized - like a machine.

Madonna has a pretty face - or did, before she had her plastic surgery. Her eyes are amazing. Lady Gaga sort of hides her face to the point that you can't really tell what she looks like- maybe it's all that mystery that makes her sexy to people, but I always wonder what she's trying to hide.
ebrown p

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 02:31 pm
@failures art,
Quote:

I don't know what forest you are talking about Art. But, let me put it this way. I don't see Lady Gaga as a good role model for my daughter.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 02:36 pm
@ebrown p,
Quote:
I don't know what forest you are talking about Art. But, let me put it this way. I don't see Lady Gaga as a good role model for my daughter
is she any worse than Christina, Britney, Miley....????
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 02:42 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

, but I always wonder what she's trying to hide.

A goitre?

Laughing
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 02:45 pm
@aidan,
I think men AND WOMEN find her sexy.

It's not the slut and the madonna routine either. She's not presenting herself as some sexual treasure for someone else's enjoyment. There's a really great article that sums up why Lady Gaga is a far greater positive female role model than Miss singin' in the bleachers Taylor Swift.

Enjoyable read --> Click!
From the article:

Quote:
Let’s bring it back around to the lady that obvs should’ve won: Lady ******* Gaga. Lady Gaga is viscous hungry sex in hellfire. She’s more theatrical than Broadway and every night she sings in romantic open fists. Lady Gaga opens her dress, extracts her gut, assembles it in shapes splashed in sinister glitter and then shatters her dangerous violent diamonds onto the piano and screams FIRE and it sounds like bad romance. She wants your ugly, she wants your disease, and she’s everything Taylor Swift will never be. Punks don’t win awards, they eat awards.

And so that’s what I hope for my hypothetical unborn children, whether it’s from Gaga or another powerhouse female who owns it on stage: pop music that shuns tired Dawson Leary cliché in favor of your drama, disease, love, revenge, and (when you’re ready) your dangerous ambisexual kiss in the motherfucking sand.

I'd say one of Madonna's greatest features has and will always be the gap in her front teeth. Reducing Gaga's appeal to her physical features isn't the point. She IS sexy, and it is the kind of sexy that so many people deny themselves because they feel they aren't entitled to it.

A
R
T
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 02:49 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Quote:

I don't know what forest you are talking about Art. But, let me put it this way. I don't see Lady Gaga as a good role model for my daughter.

Since when has being a sexual symbol disqualified a person from being a feminist icon?

Who would you prefer your daughter look too? What about Lady Gaga is so terrible that your daughter should not view her as a role model? Why can your daughter not have multiple influences and draw from them what she desires?

A
R
T
aidan

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 03:06 pm
@failures art,
I like Madonna's gap too. I also love her eyes - I think they are just incredible.
I never liked her voice until once in the mid-nineties I was listening to the radio and the song 'Take a Bow' came on and I was thinking WHO is singing this? Her voice had deepened in tone from that shrill, squeaky 'Like a Virgin' sound to this really rich and multi-toned alto.
I don't hear that potential in Lady Gaga's voice - but maybe that's just me. I think Lady Gaga has a much softer and more womanly figure than Madonna - who's gone overboard with the weights - but I think it's gone past sex appeal and into health with Madonna now.
I just don't find that whole theatrical, dramatic persona sexy. I don't find Russel Brand sexy either - although I think he's amazingly handsome in terms of his bone structure and his coloring. I find genuiness more sexy hands down than theatricality.
As a woman if I had to pick a woman I might find sexy, I'd choose someone like Juliette Binoche- nothing to hide - she is what she is.
http://www.noelkingsley.com/blog/99_686439155_poeme_H154710_L.jpg

For real - do you call this sexy? Too each his own I guess - but I find all her dramatics a little sad myself.
http://idolator.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Lady-Gaga-Graduation.jpg

URL: http://able2know.org/reply/post-4271696
Green Witch

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 03:07 pm
Mae West was certainly a feminist and a sex symbol. The two do not have to be exclusive of each other.
0 Replies