My mother and the attack of the conmen.

BillRM

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 08:15 am
There should be the death penal for anyone trying to con an elderly person out of money in my opinion.

My mother received a call a few weeks ago that she own a 149 dollars for an extension of a magazine subscription that she does indeed subscribe to and she needed to give them a credit card number or her banking information at once or they would turn it over to a collection agency.

She is 89 years old but she know better then to give out banking information on a cold call for any reason and so she stated that she does not think that she own them any money but send a bill by US mail along with some proof that she own them money and she would look at it.

They got a little nasty and she hung up.

Checking with that Magazine subscribe department she found she does not own any money and when I was visiting her she got another call over the holiday weekend that was upsetting her over the same issue.

I got on the phone and told the man where to go and hung up and the asshole recalled and stated that her account would be turn over to a collection agency.

I told him to feel free to turn it over to anyone but she is not going to pay a bill that she does not owe and she surely is not going to turn over a credit card number or banking info over the phone and hung up once more.

Looking forward to see if these conmen will drop it as a bad investment or if someone claiming to be a collection agency will call.

Told her to just demand a name and a mailing address and a phone number for this “collection agency” if she does get such a call and not to get upset.

Damn shames that some conmen can buy a mailing list and then used it to try to embezzle funds from people they assume are defenseless.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,453 • Replies: 4
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 08:23 am
Can you call your local prosecutor or even state rep. or congressperson about this?

My mother, then age 83, used to get all these calls. Thank goodness she said that her daughter handled all her affairs, and she had no money.

They left her alone. however when she was in re-hab for 9 months, her social security number was used to open another phone line, so that was a real mess trying to get her phone activated again.

This just makes me sick . . . victimizing senior citizens!!!
jespah

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 08:33 am
@PUNKEY,
How terrible all around. Definitely - use caller ID and start getting the authorities involved.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 08:34 am
@BillRM,
Sorry to hear this, Bill.

You might also let the local media know that scam artists are operating in the area.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 11:27 am
Thank everyone for your concerns.

My mother does not have caller ID on her land line enable and even if she did they more then likely would had been blocking it.

They seem to being careful and does not seem to wish to to any actions that would get the post office involved as in by mailing a false bill.

I can only wait and see if they will keep pursuing this or leave my mother alone.
0 Replies