What are you listening to right now?

glitterbag

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 09:00 pm
@vonny,
I love the Eagles, they are even better as they have matured.

Right now I have a CD 0f the Staple Singers playing, listening to Pops Staples singing 'Tryin' Time' he oozes soul. The song before was 'Respect Yourself', Mavis singing lead. Oooooh baby
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 03:17 am
I'm listening to rain on the window, the dog snoring, an airplane overhead and a couple of cars splashing down the road outside... and seagulls too.
Is that a train I hear?.

Definitely time for a tune.
0 Replies

usmankhalid665

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 04:16 am
patakha Guddi (male version) Highway
vonny

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 01:48 pm
@usmankhalid665,
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 25 May, 2014 11:59 am
@glitterbag,
Mavis Staples has got a set of lungs...I might mosey on over to Set's Singy Girls thread and post one of her tunes.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 01:31 pm
vonny

Reply Sat 31 May, 2014 04:20 am
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Sat 31 May, 2014 04:22 am
trying2learn

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 07:51 pm
@vonny,

vonny

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 02:28 pm
@trying2learn,
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2014 06:24 pm
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2014 06:49 pm
@panzade,
I saw Marvin Gaye live in a night club when I was about 21. He was extremely handsome and wore a snappy tux, very elegant.

I'm going to pull out one of the Marvin Gaye CD's, because I'm listening to Southern Culture on the Skids, suddenly I'm in the mood for some Marvin.
panzade

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2014 06:59 pm
@glitterbag,
What a sad loss of talent
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2014 07:02 pm
Davis Byrne(Talking Heads) put together a trio of Brazilian pop albums.
This is from the second one O Samba.

My road soundtrack.
hingehead

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2014 07:55 pm
@panzade,
Byrne's been doing Brazil comps for decades - I own this own:
http://www.discogs.com/Various-Brazil-Classics-3/release/1981155

currently playing everything I haven't rated in WMP (that should be a few years listening

0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2014 03:42 am
@vonny,
I'm in a sort of sad tune mood these days. This one is a current fave:

panzade

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2014 08:42 am
@najmelliw,
Even if one doesn't care for Nashville product these days, they write some powerful songs.
I found this background by the two writers Bill Anderson and Jon Randall interesting:
Quote:
"Jon Randall and I wrote the song together. Jon was going through some pretty rough times back then.

He had gotten a divorce and lost his writing deal and his record deal all within just a day or two of each other. And he went over to a friend's house and crashed for a couple of weeks.
When he decided to sober up and come back and join the living again, he apologized to his friend.
He said, 'Man, I'm sorry for the way I've acted the last couple of weeks.' And his friend said to him, 'That's alright Jon, I've put the bottle to my head and pulled the trigger a few times in my life.'

So when Jon came to the writing session, that was fresh on his mind. I went to the writing session with the idea to write a song called, 'Midnight Cigarette.' Basically that turned out to be the first line of 'Whiskey Lullaby': 'She put him out like the burnin' end of a midnight cigarette.'

That was what I wanted to write the whole song about. Jon loved that line so we wrote it down and then he said, "Here's a line here: 'He put that bottle to his head and pulled the trigger.'"
I said, 'Well, let's forget about the 'Midnight Cigarette.' Man, you've got the perfect idea for the song there.' And it just kind of flowed [from] there."
najmelliw

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 10:39 am
@panzade,
I fell instantly in love with the simple lyrics. The chorus (or bridge, or whatever the technical term for it is) is amazing. And Brad Paisly and Allison Kraus sound really good as well... Her voice is amazing!

Thanks for the post. I was wondering how they came up with such lines Smile

to keep in line with sad songs... there's this one as well:
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2014 01:31 pm
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2014 01:32 pm
0 Replies