What are you listening to right now?

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 07:28 am
Shahrazad (that's the anglicized version of the Farsi name, not sure how the Russians spell it--they pronounce it Sha-hair-ra-zad)

Nikolai Rimsky-Korsikov

okbye
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 08:03 am
Setana- Don't even MENTION Sheherazade in my presence. Years ago, I lived on the first floor of a garden apartment. The couple who lived above me had no carpeting on their floors. They had a kid who would ride on his toy car for hours on end. In addition, they appeared to have only one record, SHEHERAZADE. Day after day, night after night, I would listen to that same piece until I wanted to scream.

Now don't get me wrong, Sheherazade is a nice piece of music. After my experience though, I could not listen to it for over 20 years! Rolling Eyes
Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 09:58 am
I don't blame you one bit, P32890, I feel the same way about Eine Kleine Nacht Musik. My mother played that far too often, and in the sixties & seventies, it seemed that no one knew of Mozart having written anything else. Back about 1990, i was in a "techno" store looking at a 'puter, and the clerk pointed out what she thought was a nifty feature, a key on the keyboard which would automatically play a "pre-selected" tune. They had "pre-selected" EKNM--i froze up, turned, and walked out without another word. I'm sure that poor woman thought that either i was crazy or that she had committed some monstrous faux pas which she could not discern . . .
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 10:07 am
Setana- I know EXACTLY what you mean!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 10:23 am
"Lara's Theme" from Doctor Zhivago will do that to me. It sounds just like the music an organ-grinder with a pet monkey on a chain would grind out on a street corner. They used to play it ad nauseam on one of the stations I used to listen to when I was living in NH. If I remember correctly, I broke one of my radios, hurling it against a wall!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 11:28 am
My local public radio station plays "theme" music, based on the possible significance of the date. Today is the birthdate of John Phillip Sousa, and of Adolph Saxe, whom they claim invented the saxephone. As you might well imagine, i've had a rousing good morning, musically speaking . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 04:03 pm
Ohmygodno . . . now they're gonna play a TANGO by Sousa . . . help me . . . help me . . .
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 04:22 pm
What station are you listening to? GEEK-FM?

As far as "Scheherazade," I could understand overdosing on any music played over and over. I bought the early stereo recording by Fritz Reiner and the Chicago Symphony on RCA (the old Living Stereo series of demo recordings) and it's hard to beat. Also has Stravinksy's "Song of the Nightingale" on the same CD. You can find it often at under $10.00.
Literally a hair raising performance.
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 11:52 am
On the way to work this morning, I bought the CD that a local radio station produces once each year. This is the eighth year. "On The Mountain 8" is the name of the CD. It's a compilation of live performances in the radio station's own little sound studio. Whenever a musician is in town for a concert, the radio station invites the musician to the studio for an interview and a recording. The annual CD's are wonderful!! This CD has.... Norah Jones, Big Head Todd, Jack Johnson, Bruce Cockburn, Suzanne Vega, Martin Sexton, Delbert McClinton, just to name a few..... I love the acoustic live versions....

So, that's what I'm listening to today.....

Very Happy
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 12:12 pm
Cspan, does that count?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 01:43 pm

It's just after after 6am, Saturday,so I turned the 'puter sound way up, and played the Reveille download, that I think Swimpy posted a few days ago.
Now I'm listening to I Musici CD - Pearls of the Baroque - it's just finished Corelli, and it now onto Pachelbel's Canon.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 02:00 pm
Anyone who listens to Pachelbel's Canon at 6 a.m. can't be all bad. Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 02:49 pm
Merry Andrew- How 'bout the cannon in the 1812 Overture?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 02:55 pm
Oh, yes -- the cannon in the Dorati/Mercury or blow up your speakers with the Telarc recording! I'm listening to a Blue Note reissue of Kenny Burrell called "Midnight Blue." Most of it are Burrell's own compostions including "Midnight Blue" and "Saturday Night Blues." I bought this on a special price along with a reissue of the vintage Bernstein recordings of Copland's "Symphony No. 3" and "Organ Symphony" with E. Power Biggs on the organ. I'll listen to that later on and might play the Saint Saens Organ Symphony just as a comparison. By that time, the neighbors might be home so I'll have to do my Sony earphones (thank gawd for earphones).
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 03:02 pm
Lightwizard- Are you referring to Saint-Saens Symphony #3? That's my most favorite piece in the whole wide world. The first chord that begins the last movement never fails to scare the_____ out of me!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 03:04 pm
Anybody familiar with Harry Partch?

His Marimba Eroica, played at about 102db, used to rattle the glass on my pinball machine!?

Picture of the Marimba Eroica

If you click on the marimba on the bottom, you can hear it play. But you cannot begin to appreciate without a great sound system, with a subwoofer. Boy, does that thing "woof"!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 03:22 pm
Yes, the Saint Saens "Organ" Symphony is No. 3. The recording I put on more than others is Charles Dutoit and the Montreal.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 05:22 pm
"Twern't me, Margo. Would the person who posted the link to Reveille please stand up?

Right now I'm listening to this crazy Flaming Lips. Any fans out there?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 05:58 pm
Beethovan
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 11:37 pm
'Devil's Dance' from Metallica. (I hit repeat on the cd player about an hour ago.....what does that tell ya?)
0 Replies