Are you pro or con Arizona's new Law on Immigration?

raidi

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 07:54 am
I can't believe America is against immigrants, when it solely was created by immigrants:(((

The act is scheduled to go into effect on July 28. Referendum requires filing 76,682 voter signatures.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 4,145 • Replies: 28

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 10:48 am
@raidi,
I think the law sounds similar to a law under Nazism that required Jews to always carry documentation with them and allows them to be punished even if they haven't done anything wrong.
Anton Artaud

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 11:15 am
@raidi,
raidi;71905 wrote:
I can't believe America is against immigrants, when it solely was created by immigrants:(((

The act is scheduled to go into effect on July 28. Referendum requires filing 76,682 voter signatures.

For decades there has been immigration guidelines until the Liberals saw that by shifting these regulations there is a voting impact. Since the late 1960's, they have loosened the immigration restrictions to generate a Democratic base and it has worked.

Arizona is not against immigration. They want us to return to the laws that are on the books and honor those who have dedicated money and time to become legal citizens.

Also, immigration has traditionally meant living, working, and keeping money in this country. Today, illegal aliens ship millions of dollars back to their home country depleting our tax base while demanding services--that is a real problem getting worse.
0 Replies

Anton Artaud

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 11:18 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;71913 wrote:
I think the law sounds similar to a law under Nazism that required Jews to always carry documentation with them and allows them to be punished even if they haven't done anything wrong.

Do you carry a drivers license?

There is nothing wrong with documentation. It is what the government uses it for that separates the good from the bad.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 11:50 am
@Anton Artaud,
Anton Artaud;71915 wrote:
Do you carry a drivers license?

There is nothing wrong with documentation. It is what the government uses it for that separates the good from the bad.

Any police officer can ask anyone he suspects of being an illegal (aka anyone Hispanic) and if they don't have documentation on them he can detain them as a criminal, whether they are or are not illegal. So even legal residents who are suspected of being illegal immigrants are subject to this....is that a good use?
Anton Artaud

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 12:13 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;71916 wrote:
Any police officer can ask anyone he suspects of being an illegal (aka anyone Hispanic) and if they don't have documentation on them he can detain them as a criminal, whether they are or are not illegal. So even legal residents who are suspected of being illegal immigrants are subject to this....is that a good use?

Great! If you have nothing to hide--what's the problem? By the way, this happens daily now. Anytime, any cop sees anything suspicious they can ask for ID.

Years ago I was visiting a small mountain town when a cop pulled me aside and asked me to fill out a "Visitors" information card. And, a I am not a minority.

Also, everyone profiles everyone else. It is natural, practical, and is an act of self-preservation.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 01:37 pm
@Anton Artaud,
Anton Artaud;71918 wrote:
Great! If you have nothing to hide--what's the problem?

Being detained unjustly, is the problem. You've just opened a can of worms. I've heard the same fallacious argument to justify extreme government surveillance, or unwarranted police invasions of the home. If you have nothing to hide, then what's the problem?

The new law WILL be abused, this I can guarantee you. If you're a police officer, you can harass just about anyone you want if you know they're not in a place where they have access to such documents, especially if you have personal or racial reasons to do so.
Anton Artaud

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 04:04 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;71925 wrote:
Being detained unjustly, is the problem. You've just opened a can of worms. I've heard the same fallacious argument to justify extreme government surveillance, or unwarranted police invasions of the home. If you have nothing to hide, then what's the problem?

See how you exaggerate? They are talking about suspicions found within the practice of daily law enforcement. We are not talking about "extreme government surveillance." If that was so, I would be on your side. Neither are we talking about "police invasions" either.

The new law WILL be abused, this I can guarantee you.

Where there is human decision and authority--there is abuse. Does that mean we should eliminate law enforcement?

If you're a police officer, you can harass just about anyone you want if you know they're not in a place where they have access to such documents, especially if you have personal or racial reasons to do so.

I am not a police officer and most do not waste time harassing people. Although, we both know it happens. The best you can do is regulate it.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 10:56 am
@Anton Artaud,
Anton Artaud;71926 wrote:

See how you exaggerate? They are talking about suspicions found within the practice of daily law enforcement. We are not talking about "extreme government surveillance." If that was so, I would be on your side. Neither are we talking about "police invasions" either.

The point I am making is that "If you have nothing to hide--what's the problem?" is a very poor justification.

Why would this be a valid argument in this case but an invalid argument in the examples I gave? It wouldn't. In debate if I can use your argument to support other absurd conclusions, I have destroyed your reason for your current conclusion.

Quote:
Where there is human decision and authority--there is abuse. Does that mean we should eliminate law enforcement?

If you're a police officer, you can harass just about anyone you want if you know they're not in a place where they have access to such documents, especially if you have personal or racial reasons to do so.
I am not a police officer and most do not waste time harassing people. Although, we both know it happens. The best you can do is regulate it.

The problem don't you see is that there is no specific requirements for enacting such a sweeping power. To enter a person's home you need a warrant, to give someone a speeding ticket you need to see them speeding.

For all this law all you need is "suspicion" !? Pretty easy to detain people when all you need is suspicion. I wouldn't talk back to the officers in Arizona, they might suddenly become suspicious of my citizenship.
Anton Artaud

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 08:39 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;71930 wrote:
The point I am making is that "If you have nothing to hide--what's the problem?" is a very poor justification.

This is a minor inconvenience give the emergency of the situation. keep in mind, Arizona is only attempting to enforce a new law that enforces an old law that the Liberals have purposely encouraged politicians to ignore. We have had fixed maximum numbers of aliens to be permitted in the country for decades. And these numbers corresponded by country. And, these numbers concerned LEGAL immigration and certainly not illegals.

Why would this be a valid argument in this case but an invalid argument in the examples I gave?

You gave rhetoric not examples.

It wouldn't. In debate if I can use your argument to support other absurd conclusions, I have destroyed your reason for your current conclusion.

As usual, you have first exaggerated your effectiveness ( "destroyed" ) an secondly, offered a vacuous response lacking any credible content.

Cops giving out traffic tickets can be abusive. Does that mean we should dismantle the highway patrol? For that matter, priests abuse their authority through child molestation. What would you suggest here?

The problem don't you see is that there is no specific requirements for enacting such a sweeping power.

That's just wrong. Every new law comes with pages of restrictions and guidelines. There has never been an exception. You are relying on tabloid information or your friends are misinformed.

To enter a person's home you need a warrant, to give someone a speeding ticket you need to see them speeding.

Again---no one is entering anyone's home. Where do you get this? In order to have raised suspicion, you also have to "see." You don't have a clue how this works--do you? This is very basic criminal law.

For all this law all you need is "suspicion" !? Pretty easy to detain people when all you need is suspicion. I wouldn't talk back to the officers in Arizona, they might suddenly become suspicious of my citizenship.

Yes, you are disillusioned on this or too young to have these conversations. Which is it?
0 Replies

Anton Artaud

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 08:15 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;71930 wrote:

Why would this be a valid argument in this case but an invalid argument in the examples I gave? It wouldn't. In debate if I can use your argument to support other absurd conclusions, I have destroyed your reason for your current conclusion.

The problem don't you see is that there is no specific requirements for enacting such a sweeping power. To enter a person's home you need a warrant, to give someone a speeding ticket you need to see them speeding.

Now, if the airport security guard finds you "suspicious" he or she can detain you. Now,if you are loitering around a government building, a guard can detain you if there is suspicion. Even a DUI begins with suspicion.

This is not a perfect world but we need to curb illegals in this country. We must act and act now. If not, more money will be funneled out of the country, leaving the citizens to pay for services, raising our taxes. Money is a very simple way to gage and predict the results of social engineering.

If illegals send money back home and fail to pay taxes here, we pay for all their entitlements. Since you like to mention abuse, how about entitlement abuse? Millions are known to be given to illegals now in benefits, money and schooling.

Also, a huge number of Mexican Americans are for the Arizona law. After all, why should the illegals get a break? They ask, why did I spend all that money and time to do it right?

What makes them special. Well, they're not! They have a political representative who will "make money" off of them by getting their votes. These politicians are always Democrats. The southern border is a voting machine to them--nothing more. They are the ones making money off of the poor and destitute.
0 Replies

Anton Artaud

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 08:24 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;71913 wrote:

The difference is Arizona simply wants the federal government to honor the laws that are now on the books. The law wants the federal law to obey its own law. Also, the reasons for immigration policy is found in sound economics. We can't simply keep on paying for everyone else.

It has never been said here that people are against immigration but illegal immigration.

The Nazis did not follow a law. They did not base their behavior on statistical facts. Their position was based on erroneous superstition.

And, we are asked for our "papers" all the time. Its' called a Drivers License. Grey Davis (Ex Governor of California) was kicked out of office for passing amnesty permitting illegals to possess a valid license without due process.
0 Replies

EmperorNero

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 03:24 pm
raidi wrote:

Nobody is against immigrants. They are for immigration; legal immigration. This is about having a border, to keep out drug gangs and Al Qaeda. Every nation has a border, whether we let people in is another question. If you want free migration, then make that argument, but you are suggesting that we shouldn't even have a border, and equate pro-border with "anti-immigration".

Fatal Freedoms wrote:

It sounds very similar to the law that Germany has right now, and the law France has, and Iceland, and it's the federal law in the US too. No country just lets people walk in without regulation.

Fatal Freedoms wrote:
Any police officer can ask anyone he suspects of being an illegal (aka anyone Hispanic) and if they don't have documentation on them he can detain them as a criminal,

The problem is that you think this law is something which it is not. It says that the police officer is allowed to ask for papers if the person committed another crime. If someone runs a red light or is driving drunk, then the police is allowed to ask then for papers. Nobody is walking around looking for Hispanics. The law specifically prohibits that.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 07:28 pm
@raidi,
PRO-S1070!!!

The Mexicans have no right to be there; sneaky invaders.

David
ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 07:29 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Honey, there were here first.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 07:54 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
I know. That doesn 't count. That 's Y thay had to sneak in.

David
dyslexia

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 08:04 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

ossobuco wrote:

David
no comprende senor. if they were here first how did they sneak in?
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 09:21 pm
Pro. If the courts strike it down I am going to have a fit. It will be another argument for why our government needs to be replaced.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 09:30 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

ossobuco wrote:

David
no comprende senor. if they were here first how did they sneak in?
That 's clever.
rabel22

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 09:20 am
@OmSigDAVID,

this law is bs. If you want to stop illegal immagration fine anyone who hires illegals.
0 Replies