Misquoting Jesus

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 07:06 am
@Musky Hunter,
Musky Hunter;60967 wrote:
The newer translations are actually more accurate than the old ones in that they are going back to earlier texts and translations that have been discovered since the earlier translations.

what good does it do if they attempt to interpret the meaning of the book for you? :dunno:
Musky Hunter

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 08:43 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;61002 wrote:
what good does it do if they attempt to interpret the meaning of the book for you? :dunno:

Can you read Hebrew and Greek?
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 08:52 am
@Musky Hunter,
Musky Hunter;61006 wrote:
Can you read Hebrew and Greek?

I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the newer bibles that have the meaning of a passage printed in the margin, i'm talking about bibles that are written in "laymen's terms" or are dumbed down so people can understand it.
Musky Hunter

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 10:32 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;61009 wrote:
I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the newer bibles that have the meaning of a passage printed in the margin, i'm talking about bibles that are written in "laymen's terms" or are dumbed down so people can understand it.

As long as one understands that this is commentary, I think that it is very good. Commentary from scholars who know more than we do allows us to better understand the context.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 10:48 am
@Musky Hunter,
Musky Hunter;61030 wrote:
As long as one understands that this is commentary, I think that it is very good. Commentary from scholars who know more than we do allows us to better understand the context.

but in the dumbing down, is there not message changed or lost in this conversion?
Musky Hunter

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 12:59 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;61034 wrote:
but in the dumbing down, is there not message changed or lost in this conversion?

To a degree, certainly. This is particularly true if we allow that "dumbing down" to remain unchecked or unrecognized. It does not have to be a matter so much of "dumbing down" however, but rather a matter of taking ancient examples of moral issues and making those same moral issues relevant to today's situation.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 05:27 am
@Musky Hunter,
Musky Hunter;61042 wrote:
To a degree, certainly.

'Tis all I ask.
Musky Hunter

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 08:19 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;61109 wrote:
'Tis all I ask.

OK. You have that. But there is also the realization that in any translation of one language to another, there is always a certain amount of message lost or changed. The realistic attempt should be to minimize those losses or changes to the degree possible.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 03:27 am
@Musky Hunter,
Musky Hunter;61200 wrote:
OK. You have that. But there is also the realization that in any translation of one language to another, there is always a certain amount of message lost or changed. The realistic attempt should be to minimize those losses or changes to the degree possible.

The reason you shouldn't accept any book as a word-for-word literal truth.
Musky Hunter

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 04:11 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;61223 wrote:
The reason you shouldn't accept any book as a word-for-word literal truth.

Valid point. I guess that is why I see my belief in scripture as a belief in the literal meaning of the Bible within the constraints of human subjective knowledge and interpretation.

There is wiggle room but just not much.
0 Replies

marcus cv

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 04:33 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;60958 wrote:
Oooh by "uncertain" do you mean "different from original"?

Uncertain, that it could be questionable in the original language.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 11:32 am
@marcus cv,
marcus;61777 wrote:
Uncertain, that it could be questionable in the original language.

That would make a big difference considering I don't find the original all that certain.
marcus cv

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 05:21 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Wouldn't original mean 100% certainty?
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 05:36 am
@marcus cv,
marcus;61907 wrote:
Wouldn't original mean 100% certainty?

If you have faith in the bible, which I do not.
marcus cv

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 05:55 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Faith is a big word, isn't ? Smile
It all comes down to it, and the greatest thing about a man that we can chose what to believe in. And what we believe it makes us who we are.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 07:04 am
@marcus cv,
marcus;62021 wrote:
and the greatest thing about a man that we can chose what to believe in.

We no more choose what we believe in than we choose the foods we like or the music we enjoy. It is a combination of environment, up-bringing, and personality that determines those things. I cannot choose to be a christian anymore than you can choose to be an atheist.
0 Replies