Donnie Darko

NNY

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2003 03:47 pm
I saw the film last week. It's great, it's the first movie I've actually enjoyed in a while. While the movie and the philosophical thoughts stand on their own to make a great movie, I still can't help but look for good old symbolism.

Frank and the whole trip to the golf course was symbolic for Alice in Wonderland. The golf course has a hole, he followed the rabbit, How deep does the rabbit hole go? Another parallel to Alice in Wonderland was when he took his placebos, He went into a dream state (Alice/Dream) and when he took the pills his confidence grew, much like how Alice grew when she took the cookie.

Now while I see that, I'm still ignorant to the complete meaning of other seemingly obvious point.

The large asian student seems to be clairvoyant. She seems to know and hear everything, and as she serves no true purpose to the storyline, it's on the tip of the tongue what she is there for.

There is something that strikes me about Sparkle Motion... I don't know, I just think there's something behind it.

The Water and Metal theme throughout the whole movie is pretty great.

I don't know, help me out if you know something I don't, or just discuss the movie, it's a really great Indy film.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 974 • Replies: 5
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2003 03:58 pm
I loved it too, and I am desperately searching for the thread where the movie was discussed. Maybe someone can help me out. I believe it was one of littlek's topics.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2003 05:28 pm
Oy, another I'm putting on my NetFlix queue. Here's IMDb's page:

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0246578/combined

Ebert gives it **1/2 which is thumbs up with reservations:

http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_reviews/2001/10/102602.html
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2003 05:36 pm
As far as teen flicks go, I certainly preferred it to most I have seen. In terms of coherence, it was a tad loose, but a strong debut effort from the director, IMO, for the genre. Let's face it, most movies aimed at the teen audience just don't even try anymore. I have long not been a teen, but I appreciated Donnie Darko. Also, the soundtrack brought back memories. I was a big Echo and the Bunnymen fan in high school.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2003 08:30 pm
Yep, I had a thread on the movie a while back. I loved it too. Let me see if I can find a link....

Here it is: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12963
0 Replies

Jacci

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 05:45 pm
Couldnt do it
I just recently saw this movie....and I was horribly disapointed. I really WANTED to like it...only I couldn't.
Funny, I didn't pick up on the Alice in Wonderland bit, though I guess it seems obvious. I thought it was more a nod to Harvey.
Okay, my main issue with the movie was that it seemed neither random nor calculated. The end of the movie just went back to the middle(ish) in a loop. A lot of people I talked to missed that, that it wasn't a do-over, it was a loop. But the point it relooped, I guess, didn't seem significant enough to me. And too many chacters existed for no real purpose. For example, Drew Barrymore's sole justification of existence was to show Donnie the phrase, "cellar door" (well, that and the fact that she produced the film...isn't it strange how she can manage to **** up the line, "****?").

Basically, what I got was that the filmmaker had a lot of really good ideas that he tried to cram into one movie, unsure if he would ever get the chance to do it again. A noble attempt, but a failed one, I think.
0 Replies