• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,995 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Sabz5150

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 11:41 am
@Curmudgeon,
For a moment I was wondering if the Cons were warming up the engines on its usual "War on Christmas" machine.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 05:59 pm
@Sabz5150,
holiday means "holy day" so quit complaining
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 06:33 pm
@Curmudgeon,
HMMM. I wasn't complaining, just reminding people of the reason for the season.
I know the word holiday comes from holy day.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 07:11 pm
@Curmudgeon,
It's Christmas, dang it. CHRISTMAS. Yeah....get over it.
Freeman15

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 09:45 pm
@Pinochet73,
Let's examine the "other holidays" shall we? You know, the ones everybody is supposed to respect as equal to Christmas in significance.

Kwanzaa:

Not even a real holiday. This "holiday" spans Dec 26 - January 1 of every year and has done so for eons and eons.....since 1966. It has no religious significance AT ALL, is not a recognized federal holiday, and AT MOST is celebrated by 13% of the US population (that's the percentage of population that are "black", but as we know, many blacks are devout adherents to Chrstianisty and Islam, and thus relegate Kwanzaa to the "other" holiday position if practiced at all).

Hanukkah:

Legitimate religious holiday, celebrated Dec 4 - Dec 12 (this year, the days vary annually). Celebrated by Jews, who comprise roughly 1% of the US population. The degree to which Hanukkah is celebrated, I couldn't find, so I'll assume ALL Jews celebrate it.

Now, religion has NO PLACE on government property, on that issue I don't disagree. However, when businesses start wishing us all "happy holidays" so that they don't offend AT MOST 14% of the population, of whom I doubt most would be offended, there is something seriously wrong with our society.

The US uses a calendar based on what? Christ.
The US government's offices are closed on what day? Christmas
78% of Americans identify themselves as? Christians (with 10% who don't identify with a religion, but likely still celebrate the holiday (like ME)).
The founding fathers celebrated? Christmas.

I always say "Merry Christmas", **** whiney minorities. It's not about discrimination, it's about showing some ******* respect for a holiday that is very important to MOST of your countrymen. During the month of December, suck it up, and pipe down, because it's CHRISTMAS SEASON.

Happy Christmahannakwanzaa everybody.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 10:13 pm
@Freeman15,
it doesn't bother me that whether people say "happy holidays" or "Merry christmas" , one is not a subsitute for the other

"merry christmas" is just for christmas

"happy holidays" is for Christmas, Kwanzaa, Hannukah, and New Years

so i don't see what the big deal is, saying happy holidays is NOT an attempt to remove religion or degrade christmas. In fact Privately owned businesses are free to support any goddamned holiday they so please, it is only the government that cannot support any particular religious holiday over the others but we both know that they do anyways...but who gives a ****?

i've heard much more criticism towards those who say "happy holidays" than "Merry Christmas", but from the way most people talk i would think it was the other way around!

why is everybody up-in-arms?
0 Replies

Drakej

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 09:09 pm
@Curmudgeon,
What I think a lot of people are up in arms about is how PC every thing has become. No Christmas tree's in public places? Santa cant say Ho Ho Ho? I think it is just really lame that so many companies are wussing out all of a sudden. Plus people in general have become more and more whinny and wanting to sue everyone who does not cater to there specific needs.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 09:22 pm
@Drakej,
Drakej;46850 wrote:
What I think a lot of people are up in arms about is how PC every thing has become. No Christmas tree's in public places? Santa cant say Ho Ho Ho? I think it is just really lame that so many companies are wussing out all of a sudden. Plus people in general have become more and more whinny and wanting to sue everyone who does not cater to there specific needs.

christmas trees can be in public places, just not government places! But i don't see what's so bad with trying to be more inclusive!? Who cares if someone says happy holidays or merry christmas, i've never heard anyone complain about someone saying merry christmas. Stores have been doing "Christmas sales" and "Christmas events" for hundreds of years, it sounds to me like christians are just complaining because they are no longer the favorite child who gets their every need tailored too.
0 Replies

Drakej

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 10:12 pm
@Curmudgeon,
Some Airport made an announcement that they will not but up any "discriminatory" holiday decorations, mainly Christmas trees.

WorldNetDaily: No Christmas at Seattle airport
0 Replies

BOB101

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 05:39 am
@Curmudgeon,
As a child I did not ask for much stuff for Christmas because I was happy with what I had got. Yes Christmas is getting out of hand because children want the latest phone or console but remember it is a holy day.
What we should be doing is coming together as a family, enjoying each other’s company and not be worrying about buying expensive presents. The only winner is the Banks when we borrow money for these large unnecessary gifts which don’t buy true friendship.
I do enjoy the holiday bit of Christmas and it great to get two weeks of school especially the snow we get. The only worst part of Christmas is being forces to do the food shopping and the presents shopping as well.
The fun part of Christmas is decorating the Christmas tree and the house with lights and glitter, ribbons and a cross on top.
Christmas should be a relaxing time of the year and any way we can reduce the stress is positive. Also the funny part of Christmas is seeing your family and friends and showing them what you got for Christmas also I nice thing about Christmas is watching all your dvd that you got.
0 Replies

elis park

Reply Tue 2 Apr, 2013 05:53 am
@Curmudgeon,
As a child I did not ask for much stuff for Christmas because I was happy with what I had got. Yes Christmas is getting out of hand because children want the latest phone or console but remember it is a holy day.
What we should be doing is coming together as a family, enjoying each other’s company and not be worrying about buying expensive presents. The only winner is the Banks when we borrow money for these large unnecessary gifts which don’t buy true friendship.
I do enjoy the holiday bit of Christmas and it great to get two weeks of school especially the snow we get. The only worst part of Christmas is being forces to do the food shopping and the presents shopping as well.
The fun part of Christmas is decorating the Christmas tree and the house with lights and glitter, ribbons and a cross on top.
Christmas should be a relaxing time of the year and any way we can reduce the stress is positive. Also the funny part of Christmas is seeing your family and friends and showing them what you got for Christmas also I nice thing about Christmas is watching all your dvd that you got.
0 Replies