"Master and Commander" a different kind of action film?

couzz

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 08:29 pm
Peter Weir's direction of "Master and Commander" is refreshingly different from all other current "spectacle style" directing. Instead of the big explosion followed by the close up of a character's reaction to the explosion, we actually view events unfolding in a more natural sequence with a minimum of cut in reaction shots.

Director Weir guides the actors in this film with a subtle touch and there are no false notes in any performance. It has the feeling of repertory acting with Russell Crowe never going over the top. The naval combat scenes are invigorating. The medical aspects of the characters also play an important role with most of these scenes lead by the ship's doctor played by Paul Bettany.

This may be the best film released in 2003. This is a great feat considering three major studios backed this film. God only knows what pressure Peter Weir had to put up with during the course of making this film....he must have stuck to his guns.

British actor Paul Bettany held his own as Dr. Stephen Maturin opposite Mr. Crowe. You may remember Paul's performance in "A Beautiful Mind" as the roommate to Russell Crow's character, John Nash. Since that film Paul and actress Jennifer Connelly have married and he has completed two films to be released in 2004: "Wimbledon" Paul plays a tennis pro and costars with Kirsten Dunst plus "The Reckoning".

Russell Crowe will play boxer Jim Braddock in his next film "Cinderella Man" directed by Ron Howard.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 670 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 06:26 pm
Hope they have a seat reserved for me at the local Krikorian Cineplex -- I know this film has to be seen on the big screen! Ever since I saw Crowe portray a gay man in "The Sum of Us" (the actor playing the father was no slouch either), I've been following his career. A marevelous actor even if he's had some personal image problems. I sense another nomination for this role.
0 Replies