What is the best animated feature film for 2003?

couzz

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 07:29 pm
The Academy has announced 11 films will compete for the Animated Feature Oscar. Three of these features will receive the nomination. Since the Oscar ceremony has been moved up, the nomination decision will be announced by the Academy on January 27, 2004. I am betting "Nemo" will be in the top three.

Which of these following films is the front runner?

The films are:

"Brother Bear"
"Finding Nemo"
"Jester Till (Till Eulenspiegel)"
"The Jungle Book 2"
"Looney Tunes: Back in Action"
"Millenium Actress"
"Piglet's Big Movie"
"Pokèmon Heroes"
"Rugrats Go Wild!"
"Tokyo Godfathers"
"The Triplets of Belleville"

"Jester Till (Till Eulenspiegel)" and "Tokyo Godfathers" will open on December 5.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,201 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Charli

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 10:37 pm
AND THE WINNER IS . . .
And the winner is . . . "Finding Nemo." What happened to "Monsters" and "Shreck"? Smile
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 06:36 am
Hello Charli:

Time does fly....
Animated films "Monsters, Inc." and "Shrek" were released in 2001.

The Academy awarded "Shrek" best ANIMATED FEATURE FILM of 2001.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 05:55 pm
Hand's down "Finding Nemo" (just got it an rewatched it on DVD -- what an enjoyable film but it did make me go up and clean my aquariums!)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 05:56 pm
Also just rewatched "Sprited Away" -- what a wonder!
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 10:26 pm
Oops!
Hi, Couzz:

Oops! I MEANT "Shrek" - but, then, you knew that! (Darn these keyboards anyway that can't spell worth a hoot!) Seems like only yesterday . . . Seriously, from all reports by the media, "Finding Nemo" has received the number one spot. However, sometimes the public likes immensely a film - animated or otherwise - the media have panned. For example, the old ('50s, '60s ?) "Cleopatra." For some reason, the media gave it really bad reviews and it ended up making mega bucks. Probably lots more, but that one comes to mind.
:-)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 10:41 pm
Actually, the Liz Taylor "Cleopatra" after many months in the theaters barely made a modest profit internationally and on re-releases, domestically only making $26M on a $44M production cost. "The Longest Day" bailed out 20th Century Fox as the film nearly bankrupted the studio. Originally, Mankiewicz wanted to make two films, "Caeser and Cleopatra" and "Anthony and Cleopatra," but Zanuck brought in Elmo Williams who cut the film down to it's released length. The unique thing about the story is that the footage still exists and they are working on a new cut and two parts on DVD.

"Finding Nemo" opened to almost all great reviews and is without a doubt the best Pixar film technically and artistically. At least I think -- oh, Hell, I don't remember... Very Happy
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 10:07 am
OOPS, AGAIN!
Oops, again!!! (Gotta research for the facts!) Thanks, Lightwizard. We'll check out "stuff" next time. We were repeating the wrong media.

"You win a few, you lose a few. Some get rained out. But you got to dress for all of them." -- Satchel Paige
[/color] Smile Smile Smile
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 11:22 am
Actually none of the filmings of the Cleopatra saga have been critical and box office successes. It's fun to read reviews today of the Liz version:

http://www.mrqe.com/lookup?^Cleopatra+(1963)

The Claudette Colbert is strickly camp, the Vivien Leigh production of "Caeser and Cleopatra" almost totally lackluster (perhaps she was simply miscast).

The real Cleo was likely very exotic looking and the English face doesn't give one a sense of authenticity (although I guess Claudette is of French ancestory -- just as incongruous).

Back to "Nemo," the DVD set has a special feature -- an on screen aquarium featuring scenes and characters from the film! Really fun.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 11:25 am
BTW, there's a new three DVD pristine digital transfer of the Liz "Cleo" with loads of special features. Martin Landau is featured and he comments on the two three hour films being melded into one four hour film.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 12:00 pm
"Finding Nemo" just received a Golden Globe nomination in the Best Musical or Comedy Film category.

This will keep "Nemo" in the news leading up the the Academy announcements.

I have been having difficulty trying to get some of my adult film friends to view this film because they believe it to be only suitable for younger viewers.

It's hard to describe why this film touches so many people.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 07:49 pm
I still love the dialogue and the voice over talent is outstanding. The DVD has a lot of extra features showing how they got the digital underwater ambience.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 11:46 pm
Just saw "The Triplets of Belleville". Director/writer Sylvain Chomet did have some clever ideas but the problem was he just kept repeating them.

I don't think it will topple "Nemo".
0 Replies

daleliop

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 06:56 am
Well, this is just a comment to animated films - I saw Anastasia for the first time last year and I thought it was pretty interesting in that it wasn't all fuzzy feeling like most disney movies, but actually depicts some more realistic emotions, reactions, and situations...like the Russian Revolution. Anyway, it was still very much a children's film, but still, quite enjoyable for that particular reason.
0 Replies