Pawn shop shopping

boomerang

Mon 28 Jun, 2010 09:43 am
That "Pawn Stars" show is pretty cool. Thanks buterflynt!

I only have had a chance to watch one episode and they didn't show anyone coming in to buy anything. I'd like to see that side of things
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 28 Jun, 2010 05:57 pm
Diane and I went into one here a few years ago, because it was the only place in the phone book fairly close by said to fix watches, and we both had watches needing batteries, mine with a completely impossible to open back-of-the-case.
It was faintly scary. We are both victims of jewelry attraction, so we each bought a small thing. Mine was a silver scarab bracelet for $19.00.
We didn't look at cameras.

I have seen pawn shops as where someone runs with stolen goods (or at least used to). I get avoiding them for the use-the-poor aspect, and will look harder for a regular jeweler next time I need a change for my Fossil watch (original osso buyer price at a regular store, $79.00). I also see pawn shops as places I might have to use for some of my goods at some point. (See black cloud overhead).

On cameras, I don't know them like you do, Boom, but I really like the one (Canon) I got at about half price at Amazon some years ago. Clearly unused, all the directions, original packaging, etc. I don't remember about its return to sender fine print - that was probably in 2005. If I remember correctly, it was a camera store seller.

boomerang

Mon 28 Jun, 2010 07:36 pm
@ossobuco,
After starting this post I was worried about the "use the poor" aspect of things and that's why I started reading about pawn shops.

Truly, it doesn't seem like there are many things the poor might be selling that a pawn shop might be willing to take. But then again, I don't know -- I've never been to one.

Stolen items don't seem to be a problem. They have to turn in reports each day listing serial numbers so stolen property would show up.... that is, of course, IF the item has a serial number and the person who had it stolen had bothered to record it.

I'm pretty comfortable in buying a used camera IF I can hold it and shoot it and look it over. I don't think I want to buy online. The layout and "feel" of the camera are probably more important to me than most of the bells and whistles available on a lot of cameras.
roger

Mon 28 Jun, 2010 07:42 pm
@ossobuco,
I get my watch batteries replaced at walmart. Probably because it's free.
ossobuco

Mon 28 Jun, 2010 08:17 pm
@boomerang,
A painting was stolen from a gallery next to ours. A few hours later, found at a pawn shop some blocks away.. that's where I got that take on there being potentially some stolen stuff, although I suppose I also got it from my reading police procedurals.

On the poor, some of the poor now - especially lately - weren't always completely poor, and do have things to sell.

I get you on the camera's feel on usage.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 28 Jun, 2010 08:17 pm
@roger,
Now there's an idea..
0 Replies