Pawn shop shopping

Sun 27 Jun, 2010 10:04 am
My camera finally wen't kaput and I've decided I'd like to look at some used cameras at pawn shops.

I've never shopped in a pawn shop before so I have a few questions I'm hoping someone can help me with:

How does a person select a good pawn shop to look in? Or, are they all essentially equal?

Will a pawn shop allow you to "test drive" something? If not, are purchases returnable?

Are the prices generally fair? (I realize I could probably get a better price buying from an individual but I'd like to avoid running all over town, visiting strangers.

Would a pawn shop have fairly recent models of cameras?

About how much less should they be from new?

Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 4,347 • Replies: 25
Topic Closed
No top replies

Rockhead

Sun 27 Jun, 2010 11:15 am
@boomerang,
Pawn shops vary a LOT.

I'm pretty sure the rules vary from state to state too, so I will speak in generalities...

I rarely shop pawn shops, because I have dealt with them on the other side of the coin.

they buy, (really cheap) or own after default on payments, stuff from poor folks.

then resell it at a couple times what they have in it.

most are owned by people that I would not consider as socially responsible as you or I.

yes, great deals can be found. most of the merchandise (there are scoundrels) is in good shape, because they only buy or loan on good stuff) they pass on a lot of merchandise.

doubtful as to a test drive, but then again, each one is different in how the owner plies his trade.

I would ask around and find someone who has dealt with the pawnbrokers in your area.

bad news travels fast.

good luck...
roger

Sun 27 Jun, 2010 12:59 pm
@Rockhead,
Yeah, there could be an honest pawn broker, somewhere.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Sun 27 Jun, 2010 01:07 pm
@boomerang,
Have you taken a look at the used cameras available in local camera stores? I googled for some in Portland and it looks like there may be a good selection of stores to choose from.
0 Replies

boomerang

Sun 27 Jun, 2010 04:18 pm
So... you're saying it is unethical to buy from pawn shops?

They're pretty heavily regulated, nobody is forced to use their service -- where does the dishonesty come in?

After reading the responses here I did a little reading around and I don't get where the problem is.

I'm serious with these questions, not trying to justify anything. I've never used a pawn shop so I don't know.

There seems to be a lot of pawn shops -- what would happen if they all closed shop? What would the impact be?

Portland has some good camera stores with absolutely shitty service. The only one I was really willing to do business with closed. Seriously, I doubt they're any more ethical than a pawn shop.
Rockhead

Sun 27 Jun, 2010 04:21 pm
@boomerang,
I'm just saying be careful...

these are not naive people you are dealing with.

they are regulated for a reason.
0 Replies

roger

Sun 27 Jun, 2010 04:22 pm
@boomerang,
No problem, so long as you know the worth and condition of what you are looking at.
0 Replies

boomerang

Sun 27 Jun, 2010 05:49 pm
That's really true of buying anything used, from anywhere, isn't it, roger?

I bought a bike from Goodwill the other day and took it by the local bike shop for a look over to see if it was worth the price. They noted a few things that could be "improved" but nothing seriously wrong with it -- they thought it was a bargain for the price. I did this because I don't know anything about bikes. I do know a bit about cameras though.

Do pawn shops tag the items with prices or do you say "How much?" and they say "$XXX.xx"? I know I'd be more comfortable with price tags.
GoshisDead

Sun 27 Jun, 2010 05:54 pm
@boomerang,
A lot will tag a lot won't nearly all pawn shop prices are negotiable. They have sometimes up to 200% markup to play with.
Rockhead

Sun 27 Jun, 2010 05:56 pm
@boomerang,
Just think of pawn shops as the evil step brother of Goodwill, and you will be ok...
boomerang

Sun 27 Jun, 2010 06:02 pm
@GoshisDead,
So does that mean I should try to negotiate?
0 Replies

boomerang

Sun 27 Jun, 2010 06:03 pm
Hey! Do they ever do trades?

I have some ultra cool photo gear (not cameras) that I'm not using anymore.
0 Replies

boomerang

Sun 27 Jun, 2010 06:04 pm
@Rockhead,
Well.... every resale shop/person is the evil brother of Goodwill and related charities!
Rockhead

Sun 27 Jun, 2010 06:07 pm
@boomerang,
pawn guys loan shark, and deal in weapons.

I kinda like my local bike reseller.

no guns or diamonds in his back room.
plainoldme

Sun 27 Jun, 2010 06:55 pm
I've never been close enough to a pawn shop to go into one. I think I would be a tad frightened. I do like second hand shops. I have so many great articles of clothing from thrift shops. Where I live now, some woman who is my size keeps sending her stuff . . . all from Talbots or Pendelton . . . to the shop that raises money for the local VA hospital and the hospice.
boomerang

Sun 27 Jun, 2010 07:38 pm
@Rockhead,
Well I've been to a jewelry store and I think most of them probably have guns somewhere to protect from robbery.

And I've been Wal-Mart and they have guns.

Yes, I understand that it is a type of loan-sharking but people willingly seek out the service.... kinda like those pay day loan places.
0 Replies

boomerang

Sun 27 Jun, 2010 07:41 pm
@plainoldme,
I agree that it is a bit intimidating. That's why I'm trying to find out what to expect.

I love resale, thrift, charity and consignment shops. I also love Craigslist and considered using them to find a camera. But I don't like to go to stranger's houses, especially dragging Mo along, and I want to be able to find the person and have a few assurances about my purchase -- that doesn't happen with Craigslist.
Butrflynet

Sun 27 Jun, 2010 07:54 pm
How Pawnshops Work

On this site you can watch some of the episodes from Pawn Stars to get a feel of how it all goes down:

http://www.history.com/shows/pawn-stars
0 Replies

Rockhead

Sun 27 Jun, 2010 08:39 pm
@boomerang,
not sure about Oregon, I didn't spend enough time there to notice, but here in no man's land, there are some big pawn places that are in neighborhoods that are better than the seedier small ones in the hood. they advertise with fancy signs and encourage more upscale purchasers. they also do pay-day loans.

this is probably a better kind of place for a rookie.
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Sun 27 Jun, 2010 10:12 pm
@boomerang,
yea always negotiate, and don't be shy about it or they might figure you for a sucker.
0 Replies