The Football of Ethics

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 10:48 am
My short thesis on Ethics and its relevence today.

Ethics is best described in todays times by the way it is fiddled with. Ethics has been shred to its barest minimum, making it naked as the dog is or is a kind of football to be tossed around from one pitch to another.

The soccer ball tournament - of which a World Cup is currently going on in South Africa - is to me, an appropriate analogy to compare how humans use Ethics today. In the present tournament we see how blatantly rules of the game is floated. Fouls have become a natural occurence, but worst is the fact that players and coaches today have no qualms in feigning an injury or hurt or harm even if no such foul was committed by the opponent player.

Has football become so competitive, that it is okay for players, team coaches, owners and clubs, officials and organizers, and the general public - to feel that it is alright if someone acts or displays pain without being actually pained.

Is it alright to cheat by such dramatics in the field. Don't you think that such efforts to take undue adavantage is infact spoiling the spirit of the game - even if the stake is as high as the World Cup itself.

Has cheating become acceptable today?

In the last thirty years of watching and playing soccer (i was a lousy mid-fielder), i have seen the deterioration the quality of football. The skills have gone down.

The field of football and the field of human behaviour has some parrallels.
Does human societies and its individual persons behave in a similar fashion as the footballers do on the field?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,822 • Replies: 4
No top replies

fbaezer

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 08:22 pm
Interesting topic, I'll come back on Monday.
0 Replies

Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 12:16 pm
whats m8, and ty.
I am scratching.
talk72000

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 01:14 pm
@Jackofalltrades phil,
m8 = mate or ozzie 'myte'

It is the corruption of money that places winning above all else. Sports developed from war to keep warriors busy between wars. Honor was paramount as the generals didn't want his men killing each other in sports. The honor was the code of Roman soldiers.

However, in modern times greed has taken over and honor has been displaced with dishonor with winning taking top spot. In the long run it is bad for society. It is a short term goal. Teams need to win but in a global society a country that tries to win at all costs loses honor and becomes a pariah. That is what GWB did to America.
Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 12:13 pm
@talk72000,
Thanks mate!

Good you have connected it to society at large. It brings us to an often debated subject whether means justifies the end, or whether end is all that needs to be justified not the means.

BTW, it is corruption of the mind, and not of money. Money is just an instrument.
0 Replies