Those wild, dappled darlings,
feet in the earth,
face on the sun,
smiles popping up everywhere
for nothing.

But I also grow weary of petals open to the sun
but closed to the moon.
Horny little beggars
waiting for buzzing bees and butterfly kisses...

Where are those night-blooming daturas
smiling in the moonlight?
Virgin white bells
waiting for chirping chiropteras,
leather-tight wings
and velvet tongues chasing echoes in the night...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 12,500 • Replies: 7
No top replies

mark noble

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 08:34 am
@qwertyportne,
Hi Bill !

I'm not sure I would have found this without direction first.

A gem! If I may say so. Makes me want to go and lay on the grass and watch the stars. I find a sense of universal oneness when I do so.

Sever not the remnant
Of a flower's ageing quest
To pretty-up thy parlour's essence
Truthfully undressed

Have a great weekend Bill.
Mark...
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 08:39 am
A very nicely imaged poem. I look forward to seeing more from you.
qwertyportne

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 08:51 pm
@mark noble,
Yes, and I often watch the stars lying on, well, we don't have grass here but a drop cloth or two amd we're fine! Makes me remember a poem I wrote many years ago after an evening of doing exactly that. I initially titled it Outside, then retitled it Somewhere Safe to Sea. I'll post it in this forum. Hope everybody likes it...

--Bill
qwertyportne

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 08:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thank you for your kind reply. It bothered me that Letty said we have a dearth of poetry here, and would like that to end. I'll post another in this forum in a few minutes in response to what Mark said...

--Bill
Letty

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 04:36 am
@qwertyportne,
Fantastic to have a poet among us again. Loved the gestalt type verse, and then the alliteration brings the notion of a wild rose to life. I like the title of your poem as well qwertyportne. Welcome and never stop your writing. What was your inspiration?
qwertyportne

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 08:48 am
@Letty,
Letty,

My hikes in the desert, where I frequently see Sacred Datura, a flowering plant that in some places is called Indian Apple, Thorn Apple or Jimson Weed. It is quite beautiful, at least to me. Native Americans make a tea from the leaves to "enhance" their vision quests. The name Jimson Weed comes from a story that in the Revolutionary War, soldiers made a tea from the plant but didn't realize how dangerous it can be. Some died from an over dose. I have a bit of Choctaw in my blood and have always been intrigued by the native American, what, philosophy? So I feel some identification with the plant and its history. My walks also tend to make me identify with wild flowers more than store-bought ones. I'll post a poem called Weeds that probably inspired me to write Night Blooms. Can't remember for sure. Thanks for your kind comments.

--Bill
0 Replies

qwertyportne

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 08:52 am
@qwertyportne,
Mark,

Thought I posted Somewhere Safe to Sea in the Poetry forum but discovered that it is in the Original Writing forum. Not sure how that happened because I started in the Poetry forum. Sorry... http://able2know.org/topic/153650-1
0 Replies