Understanding and living with Autism

RexRed

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 08:26 am
Today I realized I probably have the condition known as Autism. I saw a documentary about a woman who somehow can sense through her Autism how a cow feels. As she described her particular phobias, I realized I have had the exact same behaviors all the way back to childhood. Except, I talk to rocks and birds instead of cows. I somehow feel relieved to finally know what it is that besets me. This has made me feel alienated from life in several ways. This is a discussion about what it is that Autism is to ourselves and others. I hope to learn about this condition through the input here. I have lived with it for so long and never knew what it was that was causing me to experience life in my own sometimes unorthodox ways. Thanks in advance for any contributions to this discussion. I somehow feel like I can wear this autism as a badge but actually it has made my life difficult in the area of getting along with people. It also comes along with a feeling like you are always trying to figure out everything all at once.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,504 • Replies: 4
No top replies

salima

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 09:49 am
@RexRed,
RexRed,
i think there are a lot better places you can go on the internet for support with this condition. i know a good deal about it because of the experience with my son, but that was a long time ago.

please do a google search and you will find out you are not alone and how other people cope with this.

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 09:53 am
@RexRed,
i would get a professional opinion
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 10:00 am
@RexRed,
This is meant to be a quick but hardly definitive note. Having difficulties with inter-personal relations is hardly a diagnosis of autism. Having a few parallels is also not a clinical diagnosis. It's admittedly a superficial guess, but it seems even doubtful that you are even a High-functioning autistic.

Please understand that Autism is a spectrum of disorders, one of which is Asperger's syndrome. Perhaps you would do yourself a favor and research more. Why not use a search engine such as Wikipedia or Google and feed in keywords such as Asperger syndrome and Autism disorders.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 10:37 am
http://neurodiversity.com/autobiography.html
0 Replies