Wikileaks Founder: "Right now we are sitting on history-making stuff"

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 05:17 am
This article on the Manning-Lamo-Poulson affair is an incredible read.

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2010/06/18/wikileaks/index.html

Quote:
He basically destroyed a 22-year-old's life in order to get his name mentioned on the Wired.com blog.

Apparently, Lamo, the guy who turned in Manning turned him in without the slightest indication that Manning had done or leaked anything to harm national security.

He also assured Manning that he was an ordained minister (he isn't) and thus would be compelled to keep anything Manning shared with him under the strictest confidence.

He further assured Manning that he was a journalist and is offering him confidentiality for everything they discussed under California's shield law.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,178 • Replies: 7
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 05:35 am
@Centroles,
On June 6, Kevin Poulsen and Kim Zetter of Wired reported that a 22-year-old U.S. Army Private in Iraq, Bradley Manning, had been detained after he "boasted" in an Internet chat -- with convicted computer hacker Adrian Lamo -- of leaking to WikiLeaks the now famous Apache Helicopter attack video, a yet-to-be-published video of a civilian-killing air attack in Afghanistan, and "hundreds of thousands of classified State Department records."

keep quiet, first thing you do when you **** with the government, i think that people should **** with the government at every opportunity, bur if you got a way with it, shut up and keep your head down

admittedly the guys that ratted him out are scumbags, but you buys your ticket and you takes your chances
Centroles

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 06:12 am
@djjd62,
Did you read the link above? Wired's blog editor was friends with Lamo and did everything he could, including using charged language like "boasted" to make Manning look bad.

In reality, Manning only revealed what he did to Lamo AFTER he was assured by Lamo that he is both a minister and a journalist and anything told to him would have to be kept under the strictest confidence, by law.

That Wired's blog refused to post the excerpt of the chat log where Lamo made these claims makes it look even worse on Wired's part.

Quote:
(12:54:47 PM) Adrian: What sort of content?
(12:56:36 PM) Adrian: brb cigarette
(12:56:43 PM) Adrian: keep typing <3
(12:59:41 PM) bradass87: uhm... crazy, almost criminal political
backdealings... the non-PR-versions of world events and crises... uhm...
all kinds of stuff like everything from the buildup to the Iraq War during
Powell, to what the actual content of "aid packages" is: for instance, PR
that the US is sending aid to pakistan includes funding for
water/food/clothing... that much is true, it includes that, but the other
85% of it is for F-16 fighters and munitions to aid in the Afghanistan
effort, so the US can call in Pakistanis to do aerial bombing instead of
americans potentially killing civilians and creating a PR crisis
(1:00:57 PM) bradass87: theres so much... it affects everybody on earth...
everywhere there's a US post... there's a diplomatic scandal that will be
revealed... Iceland, the Vatican, Spain, Brazil, Madascar, if its a
country, and its recognized by the US as a country, its got dirt on it
(1:01:27 PM) bradass87: i need one myself
(1:10:38 PM) bradass87: its open diplomacy... world-wide anarchy in CSV
format... its Climategate with a global scope, and breathtaking depth...
its beautiful, and horrifying...
(1:10:38 PM) Adrian : I have more messages than resources
allocatable to action them. Please be very patient.
(1:11:54 PM) bradass87: and... its important that it gets out... i feel,
for some bizarre reason
(1:12:02 PM) bradass87: it might actually change something
(1:13:10 PM) bradass87: i just... dont wish to be a part of it... at least
not now... im not ready... i wouldn't mind going to prison for the rest of
my life, or being executed so much,
if it wasn't for the possibility of
having pictures of me... plastered all over the world press..

I was looking to get people's thoughts on Lamo's assurances to Manning that he was an ordained minister and thus would be compelled to keep anything Manning shared with him under the strictest confidence. And his further assurances to Manning that he was a journalist and is offering him confidentiality for everything they discussed under California's shield law.

More damningly, I am looking to get people's thoughts on Wired.com's refusal to publish the part of the chatlogs where Lamos made these assurances.

**** like this happens frequently...
Quote:
i had an interpreter read it for me… and when i found out that it was a benign political critique titled "Where did the money go?" and following the corruption trail within the PM’s cabinet… i immediately took that information and *ran* to the officer to explain what was going on… he didn’t want to hear any of it… he told me to shut up and explain how we could assist the FPs in finding *MORE* detainees…

There was a similar incident of iraqis being dragged to Guantanamo and being detained for six years because of a piece of satire that was critical of the iraqi governnment.
djjd62

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 06:38 am
@Centroles,
if i had messed with the military industrial complex i wouldn't confide in jesus if he manifested in front of me, i still stand by keep your mouth shut, he got his info out there and people saw it, job done
Centroles

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 07:26 am
You don't know WHAT you would've done in that situation.

Psychologists have long studied the burden of knowing such an important secrets and the human nature to unburden yourself and confess. It's very difficult to not tell anyone something of this nature.

We are talking about a 22 year old kid. The fact that he chose to unburden him to another hacker who led him on, and assured him that he was an ordained minister and required by law to keep the conversation private, doesn't surprise me.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 12:18 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
if i had messed with the military industrial complex i wouldn't confide in jesus if he manifested in front of me, i still stand by keep your mouth shut, he got his info out there and people saw it, job done

Especially if you had a security clearance, which means Pfc. Manning (since he did have said clearance) also knew the penalties for disclosure. This kid will be lucky if he doesn't end up getting sentenced to a zillion years in Leavenworth. Yikes.
Centroles

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 07:59 am
@Irishk,
Yeah I would hate to be in his shoes right about now.

I got to say though, when I read his explanation as to why he's leaking the logs, I feel really bad for him...
Quote:

(02:31:02 PM) Manning: i think the thing that got me the most… that made me rethink the world more than anything
(02:35:46 PM) Manning: was watching 15 detainees taken by the Iraqi Federal Police… for printing “anti-Iraqi literature”… the iraqi federal police wouldn’t cooperate with US forces, so i was instructed to investigate the matter, find out who the “bad guys” were, and how significant this was for the FPs… it turned out, they had printed a scholarly critique against PM Maliki… i had an interpreter read it for me… and when i found out that it was a benign political critique titled “Where did the money go?” and following the corruption trail within the PM’s cabinet… i immediately took that information and *ran* to the officer to explain what was going on… he didn’t want to hear any of it… he told me to shut up and explain how we could assist the FPs in finding *MORE* detainees…
(02:35:46 PM) Lamo : I’m not here right now
(02:36:27 PM) Manning: everything started slipping after that… i saw things differently
(02:37:37 PM) Manning: i had always questioned the things worked, and investigated to find the truth… but that was a point where i was a *part* of something… i was actively involved in something that i was completely against…

There was a similar incident of iraqis being dragged to Guantanamo and being detained for six years because of a piece of satire that was critical of the iraqi and US governnment.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 01:13 am
Taliban hunt Wikileaks outed Afghan informers

By Jonathan Miller
Updated on 30 July 2010

Exclusive: The Taliban has issued a chilling warning to Afghans, alleged in secret US military files leaked on the internet to have worked as informers for the Nato-led coalition, telling Channel 4 News "US spies" will be hunted down and punished.

Speaking by telephone from an undisclosed location, Zabihullah Mujahid told Channel 4 News that the insurgent group will investigate the named individuals before deciding on their fate.

"We are studying the report," he said, confirming that the insurgent group already has access to the 92,000 intelligence documents and field reports.

"We knew about the spies and people who collaborate with US forces. We will investigate through our own secret service whether the people mentioned are really spies working for the US. If they are US spies, then we know how to punish them."

http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/uk/taliban+hunt+wikileaks+outed+afghan+informers/3727667
0 Replies