What is the best TeleVision Show that you have watched?

NocturnalMistress

Wed 1 Jan, 2014 04:46 am
@Riddler101,
LOST is my answer. This show always captivated me and took me to "the island" with all of the characters. I have watched this show so many times through! Lol.

Second in line is Sons of Anarchy. This show has me wanting more and more after each episode! It's currently in between seasons so I have to wait another year!! Sad
0 Replies

rachel542

Wed 26 Feb, 2014 03:48 am
@djjd62,
good to see this thread,and I want to see the above shows .
Thank you so much ~~
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Wed 26 Feb, 2014 09:24 am
I started eagerly watching 'Under the Dome' becuae the plot sounded great-- an alien dome descends on an American town-- but I gave up on it after a few episodes because it degenerated into a stupid soap
Romeo Fabulini

Wed 26 Feb, 2014 09:27 am
I like Donald Trumps Celebrity Apprentice because of the way he tears into the famous celebs when they deserve it, showing them no mercy
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Wed 26 Feb, 2014 09:54 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
it degenerated into a stupid soap
the book is vastly superior...
Lordyaswas

Wed 26 Feb, 2014 10:43 am
I watched Two and a Half Men for the very first time last night. I have no idea why I haven't watched it before, as it's really quite funny.

I now have approx. Three thousand episodes to catch up on.

(Insert appropriate cheer noise here)
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Wed 26 Feb, 2014 12:06 pm
Quote:
Romeo said: Under the Dome degenerated into a stupid soap
Region said: the book is vastly superior

Yes it's because books "paint pictures on the inside of our skulls" and are a hard act to follow.
For example I read the Lord of the Rings Trilogy 30 years ago and was delighted when Jackson's film came out, but sadly it's a flop compared to the book and I could never enjoy the film.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Wed 26 Feb, 2014 12:54 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

Quote:
it degenerated into a stupid soap
the book is vastly superior...

I would have to disagree with you on that account. The book was too long and many of the characters were too annoying (especially the black and white antagonists). They're more rounded and human in the TV series (even the whacko son isn't ubermonstrous).

The TV series still has soap opera tendencies but they're prime time soap tendencies and polished production values (with solid acting) rather then daytime soap sensibilities and production values AKA the worst on television.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Wed 26 Feb, 2014 02:06 pm
Under the Dome also lacks a strong central 'community leader' character.
Big Jim seemed okay at first, but when he discovered that girl in the bunker who his son had chained up down there, he turned round and just walked off. That killed the show for me because Charlton Heston, Bruce Willis or the Lone Ranger would never have just walked off!
0 Replies

gungasnake

Wed 26 Feb, 2014 02:41 pm
@Riddler101,
All time favorite? Probably Honeymooners. Recently, probably Blacklist.

If for some reason I had to be stuck on an island for a year with my choice of any actress I'd ever seen, it would probably be Audrey Meadows.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Wed 26 Feb, 2014 02:45 pm

i couldn't stand watching UtD because i was expecting it to more closely follow the book.

i thought the characters were shallow and the dialogue was dumbed down, and after four or five episodes i was done.

i am glad it was succesful and is being picked up for another season, but i won't be watching...
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Wed 26 Feb, 2014 02:53 pm
It's about time Doctor Who was phased out, it was terrific in the 1960's/70's, but later doctors have been little more than overgrown schoolboys and I don't watch it any more.
If it was cancelled BBC could spend the cash on a brandnew adult sci-fi series in the mould of their great 'Blakes Seven' of 30 years ago.
Incidentally B7's Avon (Paul Darrow) is in his 70's now and said in an interview he wouldn't mind being Dr Who if they asked him, adding "but I'd do it MY way!"

Avon clips-
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Wed 26 Feb, 2014 03:06 pm
I liked The X-Files at first when it was mostly about UFO's and aliens, but it later degenerated into gory killings and became little diferent from a boring "murder for entertainment" cop show, no wonder Duchovny wanted out of his contract.
0 Replies

nazia08

Wed 2 Apr, 2014 03:55 am
Twin Peaks or Lost. its a toss up.
0 Replies

raprap

Thu 3 Apr, 2014 03:10 am
It's a toss up

or

Rap
elenahao

Wed 17 Sep, 2014 02:22 am
@MontereyJack,
I also like it,so interesting!
0 Replies

raisingirl

Tue 30 Dec, 2014 08:13 am
@raprap,
I see you are a fellow Muppet fan. I love the DVD pop-up commentary feature.

Soap was always a favorite, forbidden when I was a kid and then a daily pleasure when it reran in the 90's. My all-time favorite sitcom, though, is Parks & Recreation. The entire cast is a scream.

Someone here mentioned Chuck, which I loved. I'm surprised Breaking Bad hasn't had more nods, as it is finely acted, written and produced television. Six Feet Under was also excellent, as have been several HBO and Showtime series. I'm eagerly awaiting season three of Showtime's House of Lies and the second of HBO's True Detective.

It's refreshing to see so many big named actors on the small screen these days. I loved Frances McDormand in HBO's adaptation of Elizabeth Strout's Pulitzer Prize winning Olive Kitteridge. TV sure isn't what it used to be, and I'll bet the box office is smarting from the revolution.
0 Replies

SumitaSofat

Tue 6 Jan, 2015 04:52 am
@Reyn,
Tarak mehta ka oolta chashma is the best television show...
0 Replies

cozyswan

Fri 27 Mar, 2015 01:41 am
@Riddler101,
Dos 2 broke Girl$ count?
i love Max, she is so cool.
0 Replies

Thomas33

Mon 25 Jul, 2016 02:45 pm
Maybe Lost. Maybe Penny Dreadful. Truth is that both shows were about as awful as they were good. Lost had irritating main characters, that became more and more unlikeable as the show progressed. Penny Dreadful didn't necessarily have unlikeable characters, but they didn't service the fiction either.

Other tv shows? The ITV miniseries The Enfield Haunting was good, and even Downton Abbey had its moments.

The first season of Peaky Blinders is also good, though in the long run I wasn't bothered about the depressing and grim tone.
0 Replies