So, seriously, what is philosophy anyway?

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 07:00 pm
@Huxley,
I like a witty rejoinder. You're now on my list . . . i'm gonna get you for that . . .
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 09:18 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Fido wrote:
We are no longer refugees... We have been assimilated... We are one with the borg...

I'm believin' that . . . so, are you now wearing vinyl lingerie for men?

Only in your wildest wet dreams...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 09:20 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Quote:
What is true is that the etymology of the word, "philosophy" comes from the ancient Greek meaning "love of wisdom". But why would that mean that the word, "philosophy" means, "the love of wisdom"? The etymology of the word, "lunatic" comes from the Latin meaning "influenced by the Moon". But you don't think that when we call Kim Jung Il a lunatic, that we are saying that he (or his behavior) is influenced by the Moon. Do you?
The definition of one word and its usage has what to do with a different definition of a different word in a different usage ?

Every philosopher defines the word: Philosophy.... Was it ever the same after Socrates or Nietzsche???
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 09:32 pm
I've been interested in all the new philo posts, while admitting I am not trained in all that. On the other hand, I am not stupid. My father was a philo major, not me, but an influence.

After this bunch of days, I remain interested, but with more discernment.
I don't take it that putting a tag for yourself re philosophy re any damned subject means I need to pay attention. Seems like I could grasp near anything and call it philosophy.
dlowan

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 10:17 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

Setanta wrote:

I understand words in the English language at last as well as you do, and from the evidence of what you post, probably better. There has been a philosophy forum at this site since its inception in late 2002--that you can't find it is no fault of mine. The refugees (Duh) are those from the now defunct web site which was absorbed here. If you can't understand things this simple, what are you doing online?

We are no longer refugees... We have been assimilated... We are one with the borg...

Who you calling Borgia?

I ain'y no poissoner!
ossobuco

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 10:20 pm
@dlowan,
My italian teacher was from the borgia family (and I wonder how she is);

She would probably like a2k.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 10:49 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I've been interested in all the new philo posts, while admitting I am not trained in all that. On the other hand, I am not stupid. My father was a philo major, not me, but an influence.

After this bunch of days, I remain interested, but with more discernment.
I don't take it that putting a tag for yourself re philosophy re any damned subject means I need to pay attention. Seems like I could grasp near anything and call it philosophy.

It would be a mile stone for me at 56 if I could feel what you say: I am not stupid... I have learned everything from my mistakes except how not to make them....
ossobuco

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 10:53 pm
@Fido,
I still make mistakes. I have less patience for (I'll leave this blank). I'm 68.
0 Replies