THE "WINK" WHAT DOES IT IMPLY???

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:17 am
The "wink". Have you ever given or received one?

Have you ever bothered to analyse what it is a "wink is suggesting -

A) TO The receiver?
B) OF The sender?

I will divulge the Nature of the "Wink" at the end of this thread, unless you guys happen to hit the nail on the head beforehand.

All of your replies are gratefully received
Thank you All, and have a terrific day.
Mark...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 10 • Views: 17,454 • Replies: 177

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:29 am
I'm mostly curious what any of the tags have to do with the thread / title - other than "general".
mark noble

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:34 am
@ehBeth,
Hi Ehbeth,
When I divulge the nature of the thread, it will become clear that all apply.
Thank you for asking though, any opinion to offer?

Have a great day Ehbeth.
mark...
ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:38 am
@mark noble,
I think of winking primarily as having a social/societal function (if it's a deliberate wink of course).

0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:39 am
@mark noble,
There seems to be an assumption that there is a Singular Wink, the True Nature of which you have figured out. I don't think that's true.

Me winking at my kid randomly: "Hi sweetie, I have nothing specific to say to you right now but here's a little piece of private communication to let you know I think well of you."

Me winking at my friend as she's about to give a speech: "You can do it! Don't be nervous. I'm rooting for you."

My husband winking at me when I utter a "that's what she said" sort of line: "That's what she said -- but I can't say that in front of the kid 'cause she'll start asking what I mean."

Me winking at any number of people: "Yes, I was being ironic."

And that's, like, 10% of the possible meanings of winks I give or receive in everyday life.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:40 am
what does it mean when my cat winks at me?

it makes me nervous, mostly...
chai2

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:44 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

what does it mean when my cat winks at me?

it makes me nervous, mostly...

It means he's got a hairy eye
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:49 am
Hi All,
I can submit that "Anger" or "greed" are both delivered in thousands of varying formats. But they remain acts of "anger" and "greed".
Mark...
sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:51 am
@mark noble,
Well, yes.

But furrowing one's eyebrows can mean anger, or greed, or being worried, or concentrating, or...

And winking (like furrowing one's eyebrows) is an action. Anger and greed, by themselves, are not. They're expressed through actions.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:53 am
@mark noble,
are anger and greed physiological functions?
djjd62

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:56 am
it means, 'i'm just sayin' is all"
HexHammer

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:58 am
@mark noble,
A wink with the eye can have many meanings, and are very situational.

It can mean, good job, job well done.

It can be a feel good expression, usually with 2 eyes, but can also be with 1 eye.

It can have sexual meaning, a flirty or instigate a sexual act.
mark noble

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 11:01 am
@sozobe,
Hi Sozobe,
Nice to meet you, by the way.
Anger and greed are examples of the root-source of said actions.
The "wink" is an action, the result of ????????????. What is the root-source?
Have a brilliant day sozobe.
Mark...
mark noble

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 11:05 am
@HexHammer,
Hi Hex,
What is the underlying root of all of these displays.
Best wishes.
Mark...
sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 11:05 am
@mark noble,
Nice to meet you too, Mark.

I already addressed your question, though. The root sources -- the information being conveyed by a wink -- are legion. What does it imply? Many, many different things.

If you're getting at merely "a wink is a form of communication," you're wrapping it in a lot of pretentious gobbledygook. Wink *

*There the wink means, don't take offense, even though I am not super-impressed with your reasoning thus far. Wink*

*Same. (This could go on for a while.)
mark noble

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 11:08 am
@ehBeth,
Hi Ehbeth,
Is any human function not physiological?
Mark...
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 11:23 am
@sozobe,
Hi Sozobe,
This is not a game. I am not tending any reasoning. I have given clues so as to aid not hamper.
Of course, the wink has many different implications but, ultimately, it is an intentional deference of eye-contact, regardless as to it's intended motive.
Why have people lost the ability to fathom for themselves? All answers must be on a plate nowadays with full details supplied therewith.
I might as well just start a thread that reads like "Why do things fall out of trees? Because of gravity!"
That would certainly be a waste of time, do you think?
Anyway, without asking, how would you know? So thank you for asking.
I assure you this is not going to end stupidly.
Thank you sozobe, have a great day.
Mark...
A Lyn Fei

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 11:31 am
@mark noble,
I am not one for winking, and this is actually important to my answer. A wink implies that there exists information that is being processed beyond the initial perception of a situation. In all of the examples given thus far as to why people wink at one another, the link between them is some sort of secret information.

A wink suggests to the receiver that they must pay attention to specific information in their present situation.
A wink from the sender suggests they have a need for someone to pay attention to specific information in their present situation.

I am very curious as to why religion is a tag on this post. I might postulate that it's because a wink is a statement of faith that there is more to a conversation than meets the eye.

I do not wink because I am the bearer of many secrets and one wink would give away a million of them.

I am aware that I have not figured out the implication of a wink to which you are referring. However, I will ponder further and see if anything else comes to mind.
djjd62

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 11:36 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

it means, 'i'm just sayin' is all"

my response was for the emoticon ( Wink ) only

in real life, winking is creepy
mark noble

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 11:39 am
@A Lyn Fei,
Hi A Lyn,
I am fascinated as to how you always manage to deduce in like fashion. I am so relieved that an intellect, such as yours is active here.
You have the crux, now deliver the resulting answer to this thread.
I would PM you with the "religious tag" reason. But it would likely supply you with the ingredients you lack in your resolve - so I will not reveal, as of yet.
You're brilliant, have an amazing day A Lyn.
Mark...