Do we actually want anything?

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 12:50 pm
When people used to ask me "what do you want to be when you grow up?" I'd say, "an artist, a doctor, or a lawyer". I had no idea what I was talking about.

I eat food I don't want all the time. I say yes when I really mean no to many many things. And I find myself saying that I want to do this-or-that when I don't have any desire to.

I do have hedonistic desires, but intellectually, I never know what I want.

My question is, why do we say we want things that we don't want? And if we are always saying things that we don't want, what do we want, if anything?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,959 • Replies: 3
No top replies

HexHammer

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 01:12 pm
@A Lyn Fei,
We often react and respond to those induced values we have learned, either through group think, flock instinct. It can be mass marketing, parents, leaders or even movies and other such stuff.

Some are indiviualistic enough to create their own goals, and thereby these afore mentioned values.
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 02:10 pm
@A Lyn Fei,
We reach for what we think we'll want - we're a species condemned to mistake the symptom for the disease (so to speak).
0 Replies

A Lyn Fei

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 03:35 pm
I suppose there is a simple enough answer to my question, but the implications of not knowing what one wants, only believing to want certain things because we are programmed to, are many. We put so much stock into the "should" and not much into the "is" that we forget to remember that there is no purpose to our existence except that which we create. And in such a way, we have so much freedom and responsibility.
Is all want primal and our intellectual pursuits are just the manipulation of those? A person wants money so that they don't have to work so hard for their food. A person wants to have a flashy car or phone so that they can attract a mate or friends in order to not be lonely. And now I've gone and answered my own question. Thanks for the responses, though.
0 Replies