Does the liguistic copula have more than a gestural meaning?

Razzleg

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 03:06 am
The topic is contained within the title. When I say something like, "The dawn is red" and "The dawn becomes red" am I saying distinct things, or the same thing twice over? Do different uses of the copula mean different things, or do different events happen to which the same verbal gesture apply? ...Feel free to criticize the question...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 5,852 • Replies: 61
No top replies

fresco

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 09:39 am
@Razzleg,
The two examples alone you give clearly imply different descriptions. "is" implies " a state already existing", whereas "becomes" implies "a gradual transition". But contrast of two "sentences" separated from the events they describe, or the linguistic context in which they are embedded becomes academic. Note that grammarians differ as to their favoured focal element. Some (e.g. Chomsky) took the "sentence" whereas others (e.g. Halliday) took the whole discourse. Furthermore from philosophical points of view the status of a linguistic string ranges from "structural coupling" (="social dancing" Maturana) through "correspondence theory" (early Wittgenstein) through to "reality structuring" (Foucault).
Razzleg

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 03:16 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

The two examples alone you give clearly imply different descriptions. "is" implies " a state already existing", whereas "becomes" implies "a gradual transition". But contrast of two "sentences" separated from the events they describe, or the linguistic context in which they are embedded becomes academic. Note that grammarians differ as to their favoured focal element. Some (e.g. Chomsky) took the "sentence" whereas others (e.g. Halliday) took the whole discourse. Furthermore from philosophical points of view the status of a linguistic string ranges from "structural coupling" (="social dancing" Maturana) through "correspondence theory" (early Wittgenstein) through to "reality structuring" (Foucault).

Before I begin, thank you for your response. I suppose I was posing my question to point out a breakdown between the semantic and grammatical "levels" of language. While on the semantic "level" there is a barely adequate difference between the terms to make a distinction between them, there is no immediately obvious grammatical circumstance in English that makes the terms un-interchangeable. Both "becoming" and "being" are generic terms, without a specific corollary. Perhaps, one might make a distinction between the terms on the basis of context, but this scenario assumes the intermingling of both of these "levels". I was trying to pose the question, although in a inferior, round-about way, as to whether the use of one term in preference to another was a response to anything aside from an extra-linguistic event.

When I thought of it, I was trying to get a response as to whether one believed such a prospective substitution implied merely a cultural difference or only/also a physical difference between the "halos" of relatively empty terms like becoming and being.

I am familiar with both Wittgenstein and Foucault, but not Maturana. I have to confess that I have not researched your original sources re: my question. And perhaps my question is a misleading, dead-end inquiry tha I would easily identify based on further research. But if you could respond to my now-further developed question from your sources or your own thoughts, I would appreciate it.
fresco

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 11:29 am
@Razzleg,
I think the key issue is that the act of contrasting two sentences, is different from the act of uttering or writing either one separately.
Maturana (for whom language was "no big deal") would describe these two acts as different "structural coupling events". Such a view comes from his particular take on biology and "cognition as the general life process". Neither of the terms "grammar" or "semantics" would have much significance from that point of view. unless there is a linkage to language as re-presentation (re-living of events) as opposed to conventional representation of events.

If interested, try,
http://www.enolagaia.com/M78BoL.html
or
http://dissertations.ub.rug.nl/FILES/faculties/ppsw/1998/a.l.goudsmit/c2.pdf

with the proviso that this is counter-intuitive stuff.

0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 10:35 pm
@Razzleg,
Razzleg wrote:

The topic is contained within the title. When I say something like, "The dawn is red" and "The dawn becomes red" am I saying distinct things, or the same thing twice over? Do different uses of the copula mean different things, or do different events happen to which the same verbal gesture apply? ...Feel free to criticize the question...

My problem is that I don't think I understand the sentences, "the dawn is red" or "the dawn becomes red". Perhaps I understand the first as, meaning that the dawn looks red (poetically, a "red dawn"). But I really don't have much of a grasp of , "the dawn becomes red". Do you, perhaps mean that the dawn started out looking gray, but then began to look red? I wonder why, if you were interested in the semantic value of the copula, you did not choose as examples simple sentences like, the dog is brown, so that we can concentrate on the issue and not be diverted by the peculiarity of the example. After all, it is the issue, not the particular example that we want to discuss. Don't we. Classically, the copula which connects subject and predicate is some form of the verb "to be". So that "becomes" is not even a copula. So that is a problem right from the start. I mean that your use of the term "copula" is not a clear one, since you imply that a verb which is not a copula is one.
GoshisDead

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 10:56 pm
@Razzleg,
I'm still not exactly sure what you are getting at with the question, but here's a more obscure example to chew on.

I work with a language family that has a true copula, meaning there is no word for is/am/are be/being/become as an isolated word if i were to say 'I am old' i would just say 'I old' possibly adding an aspect suffix to make an aspectual determination such as duration or change of state. This brings me to my comments on the function of be versus becoming. These languages and many like them with true copulas, employ a dummy verb of sorts, a place holder on which they can affix needed parts of the sentence like the suffix for becoming, (change of state) or the suffix for duration (has been for a long time and will stay that way for the foreseeable future) So functionally the difference between be and becoming is not in the verb itself but more the aspect of the state of being of the noun, as the verb is basically inert in a copulate sentence.
fresco

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 11:23 pm
@kennethamy,
NB Googling yields
Quote:
The term copula is generally used to refer to the main copular verb(s) in a language. In the case of English, this is the verb to be. The term can also be used to refer to some other verbs in the language which fulfill similar functions. Other English copulae include to become, to get, to feel, and to seem
0 Replies

Razzleg

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 01:56 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

My problem is that I don't think I understand the sentences, "the dawn is red" or "the dawn becomes red". Perhaps I understand the first as, meaning that the dawn looks red (poetically, a "red dawn"). But I really don't have much of a grasp of , "the dawn becomes red". Do you, perhaps mean that the dawn started out looking gray, but then began to look red? I wonder why, if you were interested in the semantic value of the copula, you did not choose as examples simple sentences like, the dog is brown, so that we can concentrate on the issue and not be diverted by the peculiarity of the example. After all, it is the issue, not the particular example that we want to discuss. Don't we. Classically, the copula which connects subject and predicate is some form of the verb "to be". So that "becomes" is not even a copula. So that is a problem right from the start. I mean that your use of the term "copula" is not a clear one, since you imply that a verb which is not a copula is one.

Well, first, I agree my examples were not carefully chosen. They were very off the cuff sentences wherein I thought the two examples of the different copulae seemed grammatically interchangeable. (You may be uncomfortable with the expanded definition of "copula", feel free to disregard the term. I felt that in the case being considered the two words belonged to the same family of words due to the similarity of use.)

But I'm not convinced that the two example sentences are totally opaque to you, since you unpacked them quite handily. The first, "the dawn is red", does seem to paraphrase into the sentence "the dawn seems red" without suffering too much damage, but it seems to me to have lost some of its semantic implications. For example, the use of "is" in this sentence seems to imply that red is a perceptible attribute of the dawn, while the use of "seem" seems to attribute the adjective to the perception. Surely a pedantic distinction, but indulge me.

Similarly, saying "the dawn becomes red" could be restated as "the dawn looked gray, and now it seems red". I think the two sentences are near cognates, but some of the implications are subtly different. For example, in the first it seemed to describe a process we might name "the dawn" and red being a particular attribute of this process, or possibly describes a "reddening" as being a supplementary process to the larger "dawning" process. Whereas when one says that "the dawn seemed gray, and now it seems red" the semantic implications are different. For example, in the "becoming" sentence there would be no reason to confuse the term "dawn" and "sky", but in the second "seeming" sentence there isn't any apparent reason why the two couldn't be interchanged.

You were confused by the two sentences, and had to unpack them for them to seem appropriately precise to you. But I can imagine two people saying my original example sentences to one another without needing to supplement them with explanations. Are they simply examples of lazy grammar, or do they harbor a particular set of preconceptions about objects, perception, and psychology as a consequence of the way they were phrased?

The two words also seemed readily interchangeable to me on a purely grammatical level, thus why I consider them to both be copulae. "Becoming" names no specific process, nor "being" an actual relationship. If they don't have concrete referents, nor are grammatically differentiated in usage, to what do we ascribe their different meanings? Is it simply a case of convention, or do their different meanings have metaphysical implications?

All of these questions that I am developing are idle questions, and probably quite frivolous. I'm not broaching them with a particular argument in mind. I'm just kind of running with the line of inquiry as it evolves, hoping for useful references or contributions from others. My examples may be misleading fringe cases of word usage, but they seem to be examples of a linguistic situation that crops up often enough to warrant my interest. I don't presume that they will be of interest to anyone else.

By the way:

kennethamy wrote:

Don't we.

Was this a question, or were you just being stern with me? * Insert appropriately stupid emoticon here*
Razzleg

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 02:12 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

I'm still not exactly sure what you are getting at with the question, but here's a more obscure example to chew on.

I work with a language family that has a true copula, meaning there is no word for is/am/are be/being/become as an isolated word if i were to say 'I am old' i would just say 'I old' possibly adding an aspect suffix to make an aspectual determination such as duration or change of state. This brings me to my comments on the function of be versus becoming. These languages and many like them with true copulas, employ a dummy verb of sorts, a place holder on which they can affix needed parts of the sentence like the suffix for becoming, (change of state) or the suffix for duration (has been for a long time and will stay that way for the foreseeable future) So functionally the difference between be and becoming is not in the verb itself but more the aspect of the state of being of the noun, as the verb is basically inert in a copulate sentence.

I'm not exactly sure what I am getting at with the questions yet either. I have the feeling that some thought is fermenting in the back of my mind, but I haven't tasted it yet.

Your example is interesting. I have been afraid that wherever I am going with this, the way I'm looking at it may be too language-specific. I studied French when I was young, and studied Classical Greek for a few years in college, but my mind is apparently a sieve fit only to hold onto my clunky mother-tongue. However, perhaps there are enough cross-language analogs for some of my thoughts to have some sort of inter-linguistic relevance, I guess I'll find out if I develop any.

Are there any cases, off the top of your head, in the language you work with where the prefix for duration and that for becoming could be used interchangeably without requiring supplemental interpretation? I know that I am having a hard time making myself clear here. And I don't want to inconvenience you by trying to persuade you to answer a question that has no obvious answer, so please tell me if my question seems that way or if the translation just wouldn't be very illustrative.

I tend to get on the forums late at night, and a better way for phrasing everything usually occurs to me after I've turned off the computer and try to fall asleep. It's extremely irritating.

William

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 02:49 am
What if (and please forgive me in asking such a thing, ha) speech were questionable thing as we effort to read each other? Would we need that speech?

We have long since thought of what mental telepathy is and what if that is where we are going? All we need do is GESTURE and the eyes do the rest. They laugh, and allow us to soul to soul communicate with each other as we all hear the music that life is in it’s harmonic nature together. That would be tuning up, wouldn’t it!? There would surely allow us to know what “PEACE AND QUIET AND HARMONY” means, huh, ha!

Ha, with all this texting going on today it seems as if that is were we are going. That’s is reasonable I suppose considering what we say can be held against us and if we didn’t say anything another would have a difficult time holding anything against anyone else. After all it is said “silence IS golden”. That’s one gold no one can hoard or adorn/adore.

William

Ha, I just noticed that little squiggly red line under the word "texting". It's not even considered a word, lol? Oops!? So is lol, get the picture, ha! S.W.I.M. The eyes, not the 'I" has it as in aye aye, mate.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 06:02 am
@Razzleg,
Razzleg wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

Well, first, I agree my examples were not carefully chosen. They were very off the cuff sentences wherein I thought the two examples of the different copulae seemed grammatically interchangeable. (You may be uncomfortable with the expanded definition of "copula", feel free to disregard the term. I felt that in the case being considered the two words belonged to the same family of words due to the similarity of use.)

But I'm not convinced that the two example sentences are totally opaque to you, since you unpacked them quite handily. The first, "the dawn is red", does seem to paraphrase into the sentence "the dawn seems red" without suffering too much damage, but it seems to me to have lost some of its semantic implications. For example, the use of "is" in this sentence seems to imply that red is a perceptible attribute of the dawn, while the use of "seem" seems to attribute the adjective to the perception. Surely a pedantic distinction, but indulge me.

Similarly, saying "the dawn becomes red" could be restated as "the dawn looked gray, and now it seems red". I think the two sentences are near cognates, but some of the implications are subtly different. For example, in the first it seemed to describe a process we might name "the dawn" and red being a particular attribute of this process, or possibly describes a "reddening" as being a supplementary process to the larger "dawning" process. Whereas when one says that "the dawn seemed gray, and now it seems red" the semantic implications are different. For example, in the "becoming" sentence there would be no reason to confuse the term "dawn" and "sky", but in the second "seeming" sentence there isn't any apparent reason why the two couldn't be interchanged.

You were confused by the two sentences, and had to unpack them for them to seem appropriately precise to you. But I can imagine two people saying my original example sentences to one another without needing to supplement them with explanations. Are they simply examples of lazy grammar, or do they harbor a particular set of preconceptions about objects, perception, and psychology as a consequence of the way they were phrased?

The two words also seemed readily interchangeable to me on a purely grammatical level, thus why I consider them to both be copulae. "Becoming" names no specific process, nor "being" an actual relationship. If they don't have concrete referents, nor are grammatically differentiated in usage, to what do we ascribe their different meanings? Is it simply a case of convention, or do their different meanings have metaphysical implications?

All of these questions that I am developing are idle questions, and probably quite frivolous. I'm not broaching them with a particular argument in mind. I'm just kind of running with the line of inquiry as it evolves, hoping for useful references or contributions from others. My examples may be misleading fringe cases of word usage, but they seem to be examples of a linguistic situation that crops up often enough to warrant my interest. I don't presume that they will be of interest to anyone else.

By the way:

kennethamy wrote:

Don't we.

Was this a question, or were you just being stern with me? * Insert appropriately stupid emoticon here*

What does " the dawn seems red" mean? How about switching to, "the dog is brown", a sentence I firmly grasp? Now, just what is it that you want to ask about that sentence? The standard view is that the "is" in that sentence is the "is" of predication. The predicate "brown" is being predicated of the subject term, "dog". And, in terms of traditional logic, the sentence, "the dog is brown" states that the class of dog is included within the class of brown things. But that the converse is not true. But you seem to have some further question about this. Could you say what that question is?
GoshisDead

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 10:13 am
@Razzleg,
Yes, the aspect affixes were my primary point. The are placed syntactically the same unless they are used together. if you would like to use interchangable in syntax, yes they are, however they are not semantically interchangeable as much as a inflected morphemes can have meaning. they don't change the verb or copula, they simply refer to its current state of being in time and form. Much like the English suffix -s is an infelected morpheme for plurality they bear not specific semantic load, and provide little in derivation, they are primarily grammatic features.
Razzleg

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 10:44 pm
@GoshisDead,
Thanks, this info is making me reconsider my own examples in a couple of different ways. I know that my question probably seemed a little simple minded, but since I am not familiar with the languages you were referring to I didn't want to make any assumptions.
GoshisDead

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:09 am
@Razzleg,
No worries, Often I am ashamed to admit that I have not studied up on the philosophy of language. I'm sort of a functionalist nuts and bolts type guy
0 Replies

Razzleg

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:12 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

What does " the dawn seems red" mean? How about switching to, "the dog is brown", a sentence I firmly grasp? Now, just what is it that you want to ask about that sentence? The standard view is that the "is" in that sentence is the "is" of predication. The predicate "brown" is being predicated of the subject term, "dog". And, in terms of traditional logic, the sentence, "the dog is brown" states that the class of dog is included within the class of brown things. But that the converse is not true. But you seem to have some further question about this. Could you say what that question is?

Well, I can't understand why you don't understand what "the dawn seems red" means while you are able to understand what "the dog is brown" means? But if you'll allow it, perhaps we can use your incomprehension to further the conversation: What is the difference between these two statements that makes one the object of understanding and one the cause of confusion? They seem to be similarly structured sentences. I do not think that "seems" carries any exotic "philosophese" overtones that "is" lacks. "Red" and "brown" both name colors. "The dog" and "the dawn" also both serve nominal roles. What do you perceive the difference to be? I'm not saying there isn't a difference, but what is it from your perspective? If both statements operate in similar ways why is only one accessible to you, what blocks your access to the other sentence?

Does the statement, "the dog seems brown," mean anything to you? It seems similar to me to "the dog is brown", although the copulae have slightly different connotations. Would you say that the "seems" dog-sentence has a logical structure that you could diagram in a similar way to the "is" statement? What if I suggested that the term "seems" classified dog as a brown thing, so that the end result is much like the "is" statement. But "seems" does so by classifying both under things under appearances, with dog being placed in the subcategory of subjects and brown in the subcategory of an adjectives. The use of seem is conditional, and refers only to a particular case in which this adjective applies to this subject, although it need not apply. Does this mean anything to you? If not, how would you correct my mistake? Since both "is" and "seem" seem to be used in similar ways, does this make them semantically interchangeable? Or could the substitution of one for the other mean something different despite their similar use?

I'm not sure that "the dog is brown" alone quite displays the ambiguity I am trying to track. If for no other reason that it lacks an obvious complementary sentence, like my two "dawn" examples. How about these statements: "The weather is wet" and "The weather is getting wet."

Consider a hypothetical situation: Two people are leaning against the outside of a building together, drops of water begin to fall from the dark clouds above. One turns to the other and says, "This weather is certainly wet." And the other person responds, "It's sure getting there." Both statements are doubtlessly displaying some use of a local idiom, but I think the dialect is diffuse enough that any native speaker of English shouldn't have any problems understanding our two speakers.

What is the relationship between these two statements? Is the second a less than emphatic agreement with the first? Is the second statement qualifying our "is" pronouncement? Is the "getting" comment disagreeing with the first, possibly redefining basic terms?

Let's adjust our imagined situation: Person 1 is walking down the street, drops of water start to fall from the dark clouds above. Person 1 takes a small tape recorder from an inside pocket and records the statement, "This weather is certainly wet," and then shuts off the microphone. A few blocks away and out of earshot, Person 2 feels a few raindrops hit the shoulders of their jacket. Person 2 quickly makes a note in a small writing tablet: The weather is getting wet out here.

Both statements have a similar use, but do each of them draw the same picture? If the pictures are different, how so? Does their difference have semantic implications? The two statements obviously play different roles depending on the situation, but are the roles of each statement in one context related in some way to their roles in another?

Obviously I'm lobbing a lot of verbiage and questions at you. I won't be insulted if you don't address all or any of them. And I won't be surprised if you say that you don't understand most of my above statements.

Hmmm...I invite you to consider a final hypothetical. Imagine you and I have stumbled onto a group of children playing on a sports field. They seem quite organized, but I'm not sure what they are doing. I am trying to figure out the rules, roles, and relationships just from watching the action on the field. Do you think they are just running around?

kennethamy

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:54 am
@Razzleg,
Razzleg wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

Well, I can't understand why you don't understand what "the dawn seems red" means while you are able to understand what "the dog is brown" means? But if you'll allow it, perhaps we can use your incomprehension to further the conversation: What is the difference between these two statements that makes one the object of understanding and one the cause of confusion? They seem to be similarly structured sentences. I do not think that "seems" carries any exotic "philosophese" overtones that "is" lacks. "Red" and "brown" both name colors. "The dog" and "the dawn" also both serve nominal roles. What do you perceive the difference to be? I'm not saying there isn't a difference, but what is it from your perspective? If both statements operate in similar ways why is only one accessible to you, what blocks your access to the other sentence?

Does the statement, "the dog seems brown," mean anything to you? It seems similar to me to "the dog is brown", although the copulae have slightly different connotations. Would you say that the "seems" dog-sentence has a logical structure that you could diagram in a similar way to the "is" statement? What if I suggested that the term "seems" classified dog as a brown thing, so that the end result is much like the "is" statement. But "seems" does so by classifying both under things under appearances, with dog being placed in the subcategory of subjects and brown in the subcategory of an adjectives. The use of seem is conditional, and refers only to a particular case in which this adjective applies to this subject, although it need not apply. Does this mean anything to you? If not, how would you correct my mistake? Since both "is" and "seem" seem to be used in similar ways, does this make them semantically interchangeable? Or could the substitution of one for the other mean something different despite their similar use?

I'm not sure that "the dog is brown" alone quite displays the ambiguity I am trying to track. If for no other reason that it lacks an obvious complementary sentence, like my two "dawn" examples. How about these statements: "The weather is wet" and "The weather is getting wet."

Consider a hypothetical situation: Two people are leaning against the outside of a building together, drops of water begin to fall from the dark clouds above. One turns to the other and says, "This weather is certainly wet." And the other person responds, "It's sure getting there." Both statements are doubtlessly displaying some use of a local idiom, but I think the dialect is diffuse enough that any native speaker of English shouldn't have any problems understanding our two speakers.

What is the relationship between these two statements? Is the second a less than emphatic agreement with the first? Is the second statement qualifying our "is" pronouncement? Is the "getting" comment disagreeing with the first, possibly redefining basic terms?

Let's adjust our imagined situation: Person 1 is walking down the street, drops of water start to fall from the dark clouds above. Person 1 takes a small tape recorder from an inside pocket and records the statement, "This weather is certainly wet," and then shuts off the microphone. A few blocks away and out of earshot, Person 2 feels a few raindrops hit the shoulders of their jacket. Person 2 quickly makes a note in a small writing tablet: The weather is getting wet out here.

Both statements have a similar use, but do each of them draw the same picture? If the pictures are different, how so? Does their difference have semantic implications? The two statements obviously play different roles depending on the situation, but are the roles of each statement in one context related in some way to their roles in another?

Obviously I'm lobbing a lot of verbiage and questions at you. I won't be insulted if you don't address all or any of them. And I won't be surprised if you say that you don't understand most of my above statements.

Hmmm...I invite you to consider a final hypothetical. Imagine you and I have stumbled onto a group of children playing on a sports field. They seem quite organized, but I'm not sure what they are doing. I am trying to figure out the rules, roles, and relationships just from watching the action on the field. Do you think they are just running around?

I don't believe that any fluent English speaker would ever say, "The weather is wet" or "The weather is getting wet". It is just not English. Why use as examples to get at how the copula is used, such dubious examples of English? Why not use clear examples of English like, "the dog is brown"? I expect you have a theory, and that your theory is supported by dubious examples, and not supported by clear examples. And that fact alone makes whatever theory you are trying to push, dubious.
fresco

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 01:04 am
Quote:
I don't believe that any fluent English speaker would ever say, "The weather is wet" or "The weather is getting wet". It is just not English.

Laughing

I'm beginning to get the picture that you just put up rubbish like this as a hobby!
I hope I'm wrong .
kennethamy

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 01:36 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Quote:
I don't believe that any fluent English speaker would ever say, "The weather is wet" or "The weather is getting wet". It is just not English.

Laughing

I'm beginning to get the picture that you just put up rubbish like this as a hobby!
I hope I'm wrong .

Why is pointing out that a sentence being used to support a view about the meaning of sentences in English is not an English sentence, rubbish? Perhaps you had better say why you think that is rubbish, since just calling it rubbish and thinking that proved it is rubbish is, itself, rubbish. The question is, why, if we are discussing the use of the copula, are we avoiding the sentence, "the dog is brown" which is standard English, and insisting on a sentence like, "the weather is wet" which is certainly not standard English? What is it that "the weather is wet" has over "the dog is brown"? Except that the former is not anything that a native English speaker would ever say? And that raises the question, why insist on using as an example for discussing some issue of meaning something that is of dubious meaning, rather something of clear meaning? What is the agenda here? If you consider that question "rubbish", be prepared for more of the same. And do try to say why you think it is rubbish. I hope you realize that saying it is rubbish does not make it so.
Razzleg

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 01:42 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

I don't believe that any fluent English speaker would ever say, "The weather is wet" or "The weather is getting wet". It is just not English. Why use as examples to get at how the copula is used, such dubious examples of English? Why not use clear examples of English like, "the dog is brown"? I expect you have a theory, and that your theory is supported by dubious examples, and not supported by clear examples. And that fact alone makes whatever theory you are trying to push, dubious.

Well, it seems to me that you might be exploiting a combination of the vegetable fallacy ("Ye shall know them by their fruits.") and the Argumentum ad logicam in your last few statements.

I don't have a theory, or at least not just one. I have a variety of thoughts, and I think that my questions give some idea of where they are going, but nothing that deserves to be called a theory. I agree that my examples are dubious uses of words, meaning they incite doubt. That is why I am using them, they seem to me to be fringe cases of certain forms of use that might be...well, for lack of a better term, interesting. Perhaps you live your life speaking in nothing but perfect syllogisms, many people do not and I think their language (and it's mine as well) must work somehow.

If my thoughts are dubious, which I'm sure many are, perhaps you could help me clear the cobwebs by addressing some of the questions in the quote below. Since part of it is addressing your own preferred example of the copula, perhaps something you would say about my questions would be relevant to both of us and a more constructive discussion could ensue. I assure you that I am not trying to trick or trap you. How could I, and what would be the benefit? I'm putting forward no arguments, nor making an attempt to persuade.

Razzleg wrote:

0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 01:56 am
@kennethamy,
What I mean by rubbish is that the sentence "The dog is brown" only tends to occur in ESL primers for foreigners*, or stretching it...to a notice about a missing dog, whereas "the weather is wet" is common usage for native speakers. By common usage, I mean it is used on a daily basis by parents explaining to their children why certain family activities will or won't take place.

The point is, as another member of your former group pointed out, you appear to be here merely to attempt to derail threads.

*As in French Book1 ..... Le chien est brun . La porte est brune....regarding the agreement of adjectives with noun gender in comparison with English