Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 04:21 pm
I have recently started the process of quitting smoking, and I am using the patch.
It seems to keep me awake at night and makes my sweat feel dirty.
Any one got a natural remedy or a better alternative?
Thanks any words are welcome.
sometime sun

roger

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 04:35 pm
@sometime sun,
I've used Nicotrol gum. It takes a little getting used to. I should mention that I did not quit smoking.

For what it's worth, there are reliable vendors in Australia and NZ that are usually competitive with US retailers. Let me know if you want me to dig up an address or two.
sometime sun

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 05:09 pm
@roger,
Oh I tried the gum and it made me gag, actively gag, it was horrible.
But you say get used to it, so I may give it a go.
I live in the UK how useful would your information be to me?
If at all yes I would be grateful for any assistance.
And I still have had a few cigs today just a lot less than my usual.
It wont be long until my pride and determinisms and obsessive compulsion kicks in and I do away with any crutch.
But in the meantime,
please,
someone help me (sun smile)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 05:12 pm
I just tapered off. People did not allow me to smoke in peace at my job and I did not smoke inside my home. So I ended up smoking less and less, until I totally forgot to buy my tobacco products. Sorry I don't know a way that will help others.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 05:15 pm
not trying to brag or anything but i quit cold turkey (twice) after smoking two packs a day, the first time i'd smoked for about 10 years, quit for about two and started up again for about 8, have been quit now for about 10 years, i had a few cigarettes the first few months each time i quit if i was out drinking
sometime sun

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 05:24 pm
@djjd62,
That is pretty much how I will inevitably do it.
Frigid poultry.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 05:26 pm
@djjd62,
Me too, also twice, after up to three packs a day for twenty years. The second time took, and that was in '82. But people vary re the difficulty.

I suspect I was already jogging or long walking and I just felt enough better to avoid them. I remember hanging on to a toothpick with my teeth for about a week, very fetching. I also remember deciding cigarettes had nothing to do with me, other people did that - and that was when there were extravagant displays of them at cash register areas. But again, not to act virtuous, I know people have a terrible time with the quitting.

djjd62

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 05:26 pm
@sometime sun,
it sucks, but it can be done

both times i made changes in my life, first time moved to another city, seemed like a good time to quit, second time i changed jobs so it was a good time to quit then too, since then the smoking ban in public places has made things even easier as the years go by
roger

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 05:36 pm
@sometime sun,
Here's the link to their smoking page, and I just noticed they have something not involving nicotine. Nicotrol is identical to Nicorette, but costs less and is better packaged than the same stuff at US retailers. I think their home page includes the option to set up pricing in a number of currencies.

http://www.netpharmacy.co.nz/stop-smoking

Pricing is dependent on currency fluctuations, and I have no idea how NZD stacks up to UK sterling. I've always paid for insured shipping, and never for express shipping. All orders received in NM USA within 7 to 10 days, which is good enough for me.

That's all I've got to offer.
sometime sun

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 05:38 pm
@ossobuco,
This is actually very helpful.
Tooth pick, fantastic idea.
I work out quite a lot and since smoking again (it has only been 4-5 months)
this was the first thing to go.
And yet the less I do smoke the more active I am.
And I don't sleep in as long either, even though the patch is keeping me up later.
It may actually end up helping me rise earlier, shrug.
Thanks for your words
sometime sun

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 05:38 pm
@djjd62,
Yes I am going away this summer so I will have to have had it done by then.
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 05:41 pm
@roger,
I wanted to say this answered this question but there may be more, more, more alternatives so did not mark it as so.
But just a big thank you for what you have provided.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 05:41 pm
@sometime sun,
It wasn't my original idea - someone else in our lab who had quit a few months before me walked around the labs adorned with a toothpick for a couple of weeks. I don't remember if it was the first or second time I quit, but I think I used the toothpick thing both times.

Adds, when I started again after the first quit, it happened when I was sitting in a boring lecture in a conference room next to my boss, who smoked my brand. I asked him for one, which improved the lecture but.. I went out and bought a pack. Next time I quit was, eek, six years later.
sometime sun

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 06:07 pm
@ossobuco,
I do have one of those nicotine inhalers but they hurt the back of my throat and taste awful.
Just something to chew and twiddle with my fingers,
simple but effective.
And of course gum.

I don't want to sound rude, but I wonder if smoking is not a phallic act?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 06:21 pm
@sometime sun,
Well, probably, or at least mouth feel has much to do with it. So do various accessories and practices. I missed my silver lighter, a gift that the first time I used it set my hair on fire, almost as much as the cigs; I actually liked ashtrays. Remember, I'm an oldie, so I had my parents' ashtrays from the thirties, ashtrays as hotel freebies in Mexico, ashtrays of berserk 1950's designs - they were almost as designed as cars. I missed cigarette cases. Even matchbooks. So, it wasn't just missing nicotine, but all the accessories and the routines that go with it. I never used to make a phone call without lighting up first, and so on.
Krumple

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 06:28 pm
@sometime sun,
the trick is to change your routine, well the "ritual" of sorts that you would take with smoking and replace them with something else.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 06:34 pm
@Krumple,
I agree with that.

That might be something good about the patch, in that you can separate the mouth feel thing, the rituals, the basic question of what to do with your hands (doodle? actually draw?) from the separation from nicotine. I'm the get it over with type, but people differ.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 06:35 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun wrote:

I have recently started the process of quitting smoking, and I am using the patch.
It seems to keep me awake at night and makes my sweat feel dirty.
Any one got a natural remedy or a better alternative?
Thanks any words are welcome.
sometime sun

I quit, 6 years off, using the patch.

I recommend the Nicorette clear patches - which you then cut in half. I used the clear ones, middle strength ones, cut in half. Worked great. Saved money too.

However, they DID give me the most fantastic, enjoyable, scary, vivid dreams of my life. Completely lifelike and at times lucid. The patches I had specifically said that some people couldn't wear them at night and recommended just taking them off at night - have you tried that?

BTW, if you're on the patch, quit chipping. Seriously. I know a dude who had a heart attack.

Good luck!

Cycloptichorn
PaddyH

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 09:36 pm
@sometime sun,
I quit almost 7 years ago ago using patches.Said patches came in different strengths for the period the quitter was at in their attempts (21g:14g:7g).
Having a real desire to quit I had defeated my craving before I'd completed the maximum strenth patches.This after 50 years of smoking up to 75-80 a day.
When I was admitted to a hospital (with a heart complaint) here in Melbourne, just on four years ago the Doctors told me if it hadn't been for the fact I'd quit 3 years before I probably wouldn't have made it.
Perservere with your efforts,Good Luck.
Pompy

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 01:54 am
@sometime sun,
even while you still are smoking cigarettes, you mine as well get and electronic cigarette. they have no additives, no tar, no carbon monoxide, and no second hand smoke so you can smoke them anywhere. What it does is vaporizes the nicotine, and you still blow out "smoke". It's not smoke though, it's vapor. they range from 45-100 dollars. they truely work. i mean, i don't smoke cigarettes anymore, but i smoke an electronic cigarette. My lungs feel alot lighter, my voice isn't raspy like it was, and i just feel all around better. you only smoke cigarettes for the nicotine, so why not just smoke nicotine vapor. I hope this helps you Smile