Why People Seek Solace In Gods.

mark noble

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2016 06:56 am
@AugustineBrother,
Everything I say is contrary to what you suppose.
If you think about it for long enough - It Will come to you.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2016 11:08 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Third party prayer doesn't work.

Why would that matter to a believer when first party prayer does?

If you don't have enough conviction to talk to him yourself, why would God bother to answer?

And tempting God to jump through hoops for the sake of an academic study is kind of rediculous isn't it?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2016 12:06 pm
@Leadfoot,
It's not god that heals. It's the mental state of the person who prays.
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2016 02:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
That is one hypothesis and I'm sure a comforted state of mind IS better for healing.

But you seem fixated on prayer for healing. That happens sometime, but God would rather have you pray for understanding and wisdom which are useful for the next world rather than be fixated on the things of this one.

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2016 03:07 pm
@Leadfoot,
"Next world?" That's the problem with religion. They brainwash humans into thinking there's a life after death.
I have a few questions for you. Do people who go to heaven go at their earth age?
Do people have children there? Does anybody get old in heaven? Any death?
My sister is a christian, and was married twice. Does she get to live with both husbands?
Smileyrius

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2016 05:50 pm
@cicerone imposter,
See I am more of the mind that we will be returned to Adam and Eves state before they train wrecked humanity, so no heaven for me, however if heaven is the reward and not the earth, Jesus spoke of the angels as neither marrying nor being given in marriage, so as the marriage contract is completed upon death, I can imagine your sister will have the pick of all the fancy young men. (Do angels have gender? Now there is a point for study)

As for age, the bible speaks of a man as being fully matured at 30, before that he is still spoken of as in his bloom of youth. I imagine that any state of man beyond death would be around that age. There are tons more questions to speculate over, and not all of them have definitive answers. That doesn't stop speculation tho eh 😀

What is the difference between teaching and brainwashing? Is it nothing but matter of perception?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2016 05:55 pm
@Smileyrius,
Wasn't it legal in some countries to marry as a young teen?
Smileyrius

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2016 06:36 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Legality wise, I believe it was legal in many countries of the time. There were many cultures that married for many different reasons, money, power, inter family relAtions and the like, in some cultures a girl might have been betrothed as soon as she reached puberty, while some others you may find them betrothed from birth.

The Hebrews marriages involved a process through which a girl would be taken to the home of her husband to be, after which they would have a six month period in which they would trial the relationship, a bedding in period, that is, six months or until he literally beds her in. The marriage was official on consummation, so if after six months it wasn't working and they hadn't smushed their parts together, she would be free to leave. So it was kind of try before you buy thing
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2016 07:21 pm
@Smileyrius,
I think Japan had a similar process. Most marriage arrangements were made by the parents when the children were young.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2016 01:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
"Next world?" That's the problem with religion. They brainwash humans into thinking there's a life after death.

If you are right there isn't much use in asking specifics about it, but as long as you're game for the discussion...
Quote:
I have a few questions for you. Do people who go to heaven go at their earth age?
Age will be an irrelevant thing in our new 'bodies' whatever form they take.
Quote:
Do people have children there? Does anybody get old in heaven? Any death?

Opinions vary so I'll just give you my own understanding. No more children in heaven. Again, age is no longer a factor so no old age and hence, no death.

Quote:
My sister is a christian, and was married twice. Does she get to live with both husbands?

Jesus was asked this very question and he answered it explicitly. "There is no marriage in heaven." 'Till death do us part' is apparently a valid part of the vows.

These are some of the points I disagree with in JW doctrine. They apparently believe all the slots in heaven are already taken and we live on right here.
mark noble

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 09:29 am
@cicerone imposter,
Nice quote, Cic.
Is it yours?
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 09:33 am
@cicerone imposter,
Energy is ageless, Cic.
Organisms are not.
But they make for an important vehicle that allows energy to diversify.
Another thread, maybe...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 10:48 am
@Leadfoot,
"New bodies?" ROFLMAO
How did you arrive at this conclusion? If you arrive in heaven as a different person, it doesn't matter because your past is completely gone.
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 11:45 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
"New bodies?" ROFLMAO
How did you arrive at this conclusion? If you arrive in heaven as a different person, it doesn't matter because your past is completely gone.

That's just what the book says.

Haven't you ever heard of 'cloud storage'? Your past will be recovered error free and exactly as it was.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 11:47 am
@Leadfoot,
Your attempts to compare human accomplishments with your god is an oxymoron. Prove that your god exists. We can then talk about comparisons.
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 01:02 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Your attempts to compare human accomplishments with your god is an oxymoron. Prove that your god exists. We can then talk about comparisons.

I already told you that you are under no obligation to talk about this. If you find it interesting enough to post don't bitch because someone else has a different opinion.

BTW, simply saying 'it ain't so' is for 4 year olds. Got anything better?
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 01:11 am
@Leadfoot,
I agree with all of that, also - Energy is indestructable - And everything (My God) is 'Energy' in every possible form/state.
That 'every slot is 'taken'' means that everything is everywhere already.

You are already in 'heaven/hell' (depending on your outlook) these 'locations' are 'here and now', not 'pending a later date'.
ALL THAT EXISTS, ALREADY EXISTS.

But you/me/everyone/everything is limited to its own form - and to understand EVERYTHING we need to be everything. And we are.

For those who prefer to believe that the 'ride' ceases upon organic 'death' - So be it - Nothing ventured nothing lost/gained.

If your lifeforce has a positive/negative frequency (by any level of degree) in 'like-state' you will reside.

Bring forth that which is within you - And it will save you
Do not do so - And the same will destroy you

Gospel of Thomas attributes the above phrase to Jesus (Or words similar).
I am not currently a christian, btw.

Leadfoot

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 06:57 am
@mark noble,
Quote:
Bring forth that which is within you - And it will save you

Even atheists often make the point that 'decency' is something inborn, although they attribute it to evolution or practicality.

But it's more than just 'energy'. Energy undirected accomplishes nothing except entropy. The energy within us is anything but undirected. It is the quality of the being at the controls that gives energy its glory, not the other way around.
mark noble

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 08:37 am
@Leadfoot,
And what does 'entropy' beget?
What came first - The energy or the flesh?
What cannot cease to be - The energy or the flesh?

Alas we lean unto semantic planes
cheers for participating, lead - I'm going to unblock you a while - To see how it goes.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 02:09 pm
@Leadfoot,
I think practicality covers it pretty well. Humans should be able to do anything they please except hurt others.