Ten Eighties Remakes That Actually Deserve to Happen

ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 04:40 pm
I haven't seen many remakes, seemingly being congenitally against them for batches of reasons, but from reviews I've read over time, I perceive people usually like the first film better.

On the other hand, I know there are some old classics remakes that did pass muster, though I can't just blurt their names.
ragnel

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 06:52 pm
@ossobuco,
I think Johnny Depp is the greatest thing since sliced bread - but I will never see the need for his 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' remake.

Hollywood should stick to the old motto - If it aint broke don't fix it.
LionTamerX

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2011 08:27 pm
I'll see your A Team, and raise you a Cop Rock.

0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 10:24 am
@ragnel,
I thought Charlie's Angels was CRAPTASTIC. The only part of that film that was mildly funny was Bill Murray moldling soap-on-a-rope to make it look like a gun.

I didn't see the appeal of the new Get Smart movie. The original made-for-tv movies that came out in the 80s were funny.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 11:18 am
Some of the American remakes of French comedies have been awful. The original of the Tall Blonde Man with one red shoe was a mindless, amusing delight. The remake with Martin Short was abysmal.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 12:47 pm
@plainoldme,
Though I don't remember ever seeing the original French film, Robin William and Billy Crystals version of Father's Day is a travesty of an alleged comedy.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 12:53 pm
@tsarstepan,
Do we REALLY need a NEW Star Trek movie?
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 01:53 pm
@JGoldman10,
The cat's out of the bag I suppose. They're now working on the franchise reboot sequel scheduled for 2012 release.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 03:13 pm
The first reboot Star Trek movie was pretty good. My 12-year old nieces saw it and became instant Trekkies--it was amazing. And they've been devouring the original series on DVD since. Yeah, we need a new Star Trek movie.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 03:22 pm
@plainoldme,
Ha, I remember the original..
plainoldme

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 09:59 pm
@ossobuco,
Tall Blonde Man original or Star Trek original? Two conversations wove together!
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 11:30 pm
@MontereyJack,
WHY? The old '80s Star Trek movies were good enough.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 02:53 am
The movie, "The Birdcage" with Robin Williams and Nathan Lane was a remake of the French-Italian film, "La Cage aux Folles". Both films were equally good and quite funny.

The 1978 film, "Heaven Can Wait" with Warren Beatty and Julie Christie was a remark of the 1941 film, "Here Comes Mr Jordan" with Robert Montgomery and Claude Rains, and still another remake, "Down to Earth" with Chris Rock was done in 2001. I didn't see that last one, but the other two were equally good.
A basically good story can benefit from some updating and a new cast, so the remake can be as just enjoyable as the original, but with a fresh take.

The 1957 film, "An Affair to Remember" (a movie I love) with Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr was a remake of the 1939 film, "Love Affair" with Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer. In 1994 it was again remade as "Love Affair" with Warren Beatty and Annette Benning, but I didn't think that version could hold a candle to the other two.

plainoldme

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 09:14 am
@firefly,
Sometimes, a remake can benefit from superior camera work. And the personality of an actor(s) can make a difference. I love repertory theatre because it provides an opportunity to see the same actor play different parts, but, I go to see as many productions of Shakespeare as I can. I love to see what directors and set designers do with the same material. It's also interesting to see how a beloved character, like Puck or Rosalind or Kate the shrew or Hamlet, changes with the actor portraying that character. I've taught Henry V and Twelfth Night and have encouraged my students to watch more than one version of the play on DVD.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 01:47 pm
Mr. T said he hated the new A-Team movie- the original series was a family-friendly show. He didn't like the fact they despoiled the movie by putting sex scenes in it. He is a man of God and I don't blame him.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 08:08 am
@plainoldme,
All plays are written with the intention that they will be performed repeatedly with changing casts. And that is part of the enjoyment of seeing a play more than once with a different cast or a different approach by a director.
Sometimes a movie script is well enough written that it merits another cinematic treatment with different actors or an updating setting, or the script is taken directly from a successful stage play and the material is good enough to warrant more than one movie treatment (and that's certainly the case with Shakespeare).

But, why they continue to remake things like King Kong (1933 original, remade in 1976 and 2005) eludes me.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 08:15 am
@firefly,
cuz great big giant monkeys are eternally cool.

duh...
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 08:48 pm
@firefly,
I had no idea there was a 2005 King Kong. There was also Mighty Joe Young, a pseudonymous remake.
firefly

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 09:02 pm
@plainoldme,
Yup, the 2005 King Kong starred Jack Black, Adrien Brody, and Naomi Watts.
0 Replies