How to Lose Weight at the age 13

ehBeth

Mon 23 May, 2011 09:47 am
@ddominique,
Bring the facts here if you want anyone to listen to you.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 23 May, 2011 09:50 am
@ddominique,
Pop culture references are not science.
ddominique

Mon 23 May, 2011 09:57 am
@ehBeth,
No she hasn't. I looked at her links she gave me. Her links don't counteract my statements at all. Did you even look at my websites that I gave you? Cause if you did, you might actually see that I'm right about my case. If your gonna try to prove me wrong, please do so.
ehBeth

Mon 23 May, 2011 11:08 am
@ddominique,
http://www.dietfraud.com/Dietcraze/scams_bodysolutions.html
Region Philbis

Mon 23 May, 2011 11:22 am
@ddominique,
Quote:
During the REM stages of sleep your brain burns more than 3 times the calories of running on a treadmill for hours!
lol...

Quote:
it is healthy for a person to eat junk food,but in moderation
Laughing

Rolling Eyes
ehBeth

Mon 23 May, 2011 11:29 am
@Region Philbis,
I'm quite taken with the calorie-burning work of the brain.
0 Replies

ddominique

Mon 23 May, 2011 12:44 pm
@Region Philbis,
What, do you disagree with me on the fact that REM sleep is better than being awake for burning calories and that it is healthy for a person to eat junk food at certain times?
It is true if you really think about it. If a person doesn't eat any junk food when they are young, studies have shown that when they are older and buy their own food that they will have a junk food crave and that that will become the main part of their diet. Many people like to disagree with the facts. But its better to listen to them.
You can burn 150 more calories by sleeping an extra hour each night. If you sleep less than 6.5 hours of sleep at night, then you are more likely to gain weight because you will be hungrier and the hormone in charge of telling you when to stop eating won’t work so you won’t know when you are full. Plus, lack of sleep slows down your metabolism.When you go into a REM cycle of sleep, then you burn more calories than during any other cycle of sleep. Plus, your core body temperature increases which helps you to burn more fat as well.
All of this information is at www.drozfans.com/dr-ozs-advice/dr-oz-sleep-yourself-thin-dr-michael-breus-sleep-doctor-smoothie/
Butrflynet

Mon 23 May, 2011 01:29 pm
@ddominique,
This is the official website of Dr. Helmut Oz:

http://www.doctoroz.com/

The site you keep linking to is a fan website, not an official one that has been approved by Dr. Oz. In fact, each page has the following disclaimer:

Quote:
DrOzFans.com is not endorsed by or in any way affiliated with Dr. Mehmet Oz, ZoCo Productions LLC or to ZoCo 1 LLC. ZoCo 1 LLC is the owner of the following trademarks: DR. OZ™, ASK DR. OZ™ and THE DOCTOR OZ SHOW™. We are an independent and unofficial fan and news site unrelated to any of the entities above.

In fact, the official Dr. Oz website also has a disclaimer on each page:

Quote:

This website is for informational and entertainment purposes only
and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
ehBeth

Mon 23 May, 2011 01:47 pm
@ddominique,
ddominique wrote:

What, do you disagree with me on the fact that REM sleep is better than being awake for burning calories and that it is healthy for a person to eat junk food at certain times?

I don't know about Region, but I definitely disagree with you. The science does not support your claims.
Butrflynet

Mon 23 May, 2011 02:30 pm
@ehBeth,
That's partly because she's misquoting and misinterpreting what was said about it on the official website.

What they were actually saying is that the lack of good sleep that includes REM sleep can contribute to less calories being burned because the REM period is when the brain is most actively burning calories during sleep.
jespah

Tue 24 May, 2011 04:28 am
I don't think anyone here disputes that a good night's sleep is a major part of good health. And people who don't sleep enough (e. g. less than 5 hrs/day) are going to have multiple issues that lead to weight gain, including not being able to exercise full throttle.

That does not translate into REM sleep bringing on more caloric burn than running (At what speed? What incline? For how long? How much does the person weigh? In what shape are they in? What age are they? Which gender? There are differences, you should know) on a treadmill. Per SparkPeople, at a speed of 30 minutes/mile (e. g. 2 MPH), you burn about 119 calories if you're female and weigh around 210 lbs. If you jog at a rate of 6 minutes/mile (e. g. 10 MPH), that same woman burns about 834 calories.

BTW, here, I'll even do your basal metabolic rate homework for you. The formula is here: http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/calorie_calculation101.asp
Let's calculate for that 210 lb. woman, okay? She's me. I am 48 years old and 5'6" tall. Here's an English to Metric conversion tool: http://www.psinvention.com/zoetic/convert.htm
It shows that my height is 167.64 cm and my weight in kg is 95.24404 kg

Here's the basal metabolic rate formula:
Female BMR = 655 + (9.6 x weight in kg.) + (1.8 x height in cm.) – (4.7 x age in years)
So we calculate 655 + (9.6 x 95.24404) + (1.8 x 167.64) - (4.7 x 48)
which is 655 + (914.342784) + (301.752) - (225.6)
which comes down to 1645.494784. That is the # of calories I burn every day by lying in bed and doing nothing but basic respiration and bodily functions, including sleeping.

Per hour, that works out to about 68.56 calories expended (I just took the above # and divided it by 24). So, yes, a burn of 100 calories in an hour is more than when I just sit around. If REM sleep burns 100 calories in an hour, hey that's lovely. Except I've got a slow walk listed above that burns more than that in half the time.

If you don't like SparkPeople's BMR calculator, try this one at Discovery Health: http://health.discovery.com/centers/heart/basal/basal.html Put in the same #s and, guess what? The BMR they come up with is 1645.6 -- almost identical to what I got.

You have also dismissed SparkPeople out of hand, saying that they don't have their facts straight (your precise wording escapes me), yet they have over 8 million members who have lost, together, over 15 million pounds. Don't take my word for their expertise; here's their list of experts: http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/residentexperts.asp
ddominique

Tue 24 May, 2011 03:41 pm
@Butrflynet,
I'm not misquoting in case you haven't read it through good enough. All I did was copy the facts on the website and pasted them because apparently some of these people are to lazy to look at the facts that I gave to them and just click on a link.
0 Replies

ddominique

Tue 24 May, 2011 04:02 pm
@jespah,
Quote:
BTW, here, I'll even do your basal metabolic rate homework for you.

Stop saying that I'm not doing my homework. I'm not the one that doesn't know what bmr is. Maybe instead of giving me links for formulas you present me with facts that counteract my so-called claim. Everybody's bmr is different as well as muscle mass, muscle endurance, brain activity, and numerous other things. Do you know your muscle mass and fat percentage well enough to get a better idea your bmr?

You look like you need help with your homework yourself. I stated that a good nights sleep is better for you and burns more calories and your not counteracting my statements at all. All you have given so far is that my mother is apparently stupid, Dr. Oz is not a real doctor ( Why do you think he's called Dr. and not Mr. ? He's a heart surgen for crying out loud! ), and you gave a formula for bmr. None of this is pertaining to the statement and really I don't think I need to prove myself because nothing that I said so far wasn't true and everything you said about my mom was a little crued, no very I should say. And you're not supporting your evidence well. Maybe you're not reading the directions right and that's why your having trouble with your homework.
ddominique

Tue 24 May, 2011 04:21 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:

This is the official website of Dr. Helmut Oz:
http://www.doctoroz.com/

Actually, that is the the same website that I gave. Even though a website may be a fan website, it doesn't mean that it's not true. That website that I gave was published by an editor that was in his audience when he was doing his show on REM sleep. If you look on the video of him, you can clearly see that what is on the website is true.

Video:
http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/simple-ways-sleep-yourself-thin-pt-2
0 Replies

ddominique

Tue 24 May, 2011 04:31 pm
@ehBeth,
Then why don't you give facts that back you up on why I might be wrong instead of saying that you disagree with me and that I'm not giving any science when I did in fact bring science, details, and numbers ( not equations ) into the discussion?
0 Replies

jespah

Tue 24 May, 2011 05:08 pm
@ddominique,
ddominique wrote:
.... All you have given so far is that my mother is apparently stupid, Dr. Oz is not a real doctor ( Why do you think he's called Dr. and not Mr. ? He's a heart surgen for crying out loud! ), ...

This is all I've got time to answer and no, I never said your mother was stupid, just that these statements are incorrect. Getting defensive is not helping your case.

As for Oz -- I never said he wasn't a doctor. But, a heart surgeon? Lovely but irrelevant. Just because someone is a doctor does not make them an expert in the area of diet and exercise. I don't dispute his medical degree one iota. But his expertise is not in diet, nutrition and sports medicine. Any of those would be more relevant.

Have a wonderful evening.
ddominique

Wed 25 May, 2011 03:09 pm
@jespah,
Quote:
Getting defensive is not helping your case.

I'm not getting that defensive. Its just that all of the people that have commented on my quotes keep saying that I'm wrong and won't prove it, telling me I'm not doing my homework when I gave the facts.

Quote:
As for Oz -- I never said he wasn't a doctor. But, a heart surgeon? Lovely but irrelevant

Actually you did mention that he was a fake health expert in the quote below. It may help your case as well to just state the facts, not assumptions that you may make that aren't true.

Quote:
Try www.sparkpeople.com and read from real experts. As for Dr. Oz, as I recall, there are any number of scams being perpetrated in his name (you see them all the time as "Dr. Oz lost 40 lbs.!" or "Rachael Ray lost 30 lbs.!" or whatever).

Now anyway, let's get down to the facts shall we?
a 150-pound person will burn close to 800 calories by running 7 mph for an hour--a brisk jogging pace. We'll leave this fact to the side for now while I explain the facts of sleep.

REM
during this stage of sleep your eyes will show rapid movements and your pulse and breathing will increase. Dreaming occurs during this stage and your fingers, legs and face may twitch. REM sleep starts 90 minutes after you fall asleep and can last an hour. Your core temperature also rises and you burn calories more easily. But it also depends on what you have eaten during the day, muscle mass, and how long you sleep that determines how many calories you will burn in sleep.

If say one day you eat more protein in your food than fats and carbohrdrates, that will increase to twice as many calories digesting protein as it does carbohydrates or fats. So then, while a person burns 150 calories per hour during REM sleep it doubles based on what they ate in their day. This is something that doesn't work when you're on a treadmill. This is because, what you eat before going on a treadmill it doen't help burn calories like sleep does. You will still burn the initial amount or calories that you already burn from just running on a treadmill alone.

Low levels of B vitamins in your body can leave you feeling depressed, which can in turn slow your metabolism. So if you run on a treadmill without having B vitamins in your system, it can decrease the amount of calories you have worked hard to burn on a treadmill. This is just one of the reasons why calorie measures taken on a treadmill are not as accurate as taking notes of everything you have eaten in a day and apply it to your personal bmr as well as counting for muscle mass and your heart rate at your climax of pace in your workout.

So what happens when you get less than 61/2 hours of sleep? It leads to weight gain. This is because leptin and ghrelin, the hormones that control whether you are hungry or not, are not produced in a sufficient amount that the body needs to regulate hunger. Therefore, lack of sleep not only gives you less calorie-burning than with sleep, but also increases weight gain by your increased appitite the next day.

As extra proof, at the University of Chicago in Illinois, they did a study on these hormones to learn of their effects on the human body. In the study, doctors measured levels of leptin and ghrelin in 12 healthy men. They also noted their hunger and appetite levels. Soon after, the men were subjected to two days of sleep deprivation followed by two days of extended sleep. During this time doctors continued to monitor hormone levels, appetite, and activity.
The end result: When sleep was restricted, leptin levels went down and ghrelin levels went up. What leptin does is it tells you that you're full. Ghrelin tells you you're hungry. Not surprisingly, the men's appetite also increased proportionally. Their desire for high carbohydrate, calorie-dense foods increased by a whopping 45%.

0 Replies

ddominique

Thu 16 Jun, 2011 09:10 am
@jespah,
Are we still discussing this or what? Or did I just prove myself so well that I left you speechless.
0 Replies

ddominique

Mon 18 Jul, 2011 03:43 pm
@jespah,
Quote:
Just because someone is a doctor does not make them an expert in the area of diet and exercise.
His expertise is not in diet, nutrition and sports medicine

Yes, I know that not all doctors are experts in that area. However he has much knowledge in all the areas of health, including diet, exercise, and nutrition.

Now, I initially stated that a good night's sleep can burn more calories than running on a treadmill for hours and is more healthy with more benefits. I've given the proof for that. I never said that 1 hour's sleep burns more calories than 1 hour on a treadmill (which is what you're trying to prove me wrong for), although it is definitely manageable. It all depends on what you eat, how fast you're going, how much sleep you get, how fast your brain works (because since women are better at multitasking and have faster brain activity than men, they can burn more calories in their sleep), and many other factors. Now why don't you try to prove me wrong, since you were so eager to before and have a lot to say, even though you may not have any luck with it?

Good luck to you.

0 Replies

ddominique

Mon 18 Jul, 2011 04:02 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Bring the facts here if you want anyone to listen to you.

Your giving me a weblink to look at? Well isn't that a suprize. You should probably take your own advice and bring facts here if you want people's attention. That website that you gave talks about insecure and and distrusting websites when it's not a trustworthy website. You can tell by it's URL.

Quote:
I don't know about Region, but I definitely disagree with you. The science does not support your claims.

The science does support it very much so. And even if I didn't use science to support myself, science doesn't answer everything because if it did, we would know everything there is to know in this world.
0 Replies