KNITTING in general

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 07:32 am
I was wondering if anyone had asked a knitting question before now? I did look for a knitting section but couldn't find anything that resembled knitting. I don't want anything too complicated because I am only just a basic knitter, the knit plain, knit purl sort, and I know I can google for free knitting patterns, but that isn't the same as communicating with another basic knitter who may have knitted something up and feel very pleased with their finished item. A couple of years ago I decided to tackle a Dr Who scarf. I got a colour scheme pattern via a google search and by the end of August 2008 I'd finished it. Some 24 feet long it was and I was rather proud of my accomplishment. I plan on starting another one shortly after I've finished a 76 stitch wide pink scarf using pink Feathers/Lashes for 2 rows and 8 ply for 2 rows to enable me to pick up a dropped stitch if I happen to drop one. Anyone who has ever knitted with Lashes or Feathers will know what it is like to try and locate a dropped stitch. It is nigh on impossible. Anyway, that's enough for now. It will be interesting to find out if anyone else is thinking the same way as me. It looks like every other subject under the sun is tackled in A2K except knitting, unless of course I never saw it and it was staring me right in the face. Drillersmum from Down Under.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,011 • Replies: 12
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 07:38 am
@drillersmum,
Hi drillersmum.

We've got a reasonable number of knitters here, and there have been some discussions about knitting, but they've tended to be part of other threads.

I do recall littlek asking some rather specific knitting question/s - but it may have been before we had tags here at a2k, so it'd be hard to trace. She posted photos of some lovely scarves she'd made.

I've been knitting on and off for a bit over 40 Shocked years now. I used to be quite serious about it, knew my yarns and pattern companies really well. Now, I tend to do quick and easy projects - and don't bother with patterns much at all. Sweater/scarf/mitten sets are my favourites - if the sweaters are Fair Isle and knitted on the round, they're quick and dirty projects.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 07:40 am
@drillersmum,
What exactly do you want to talk about re: knitting?

I used to knit a bit, sweaters, gloves, hats, baby things, etc. But I when realized I could buy the thing cheaper, and that my family was either losing stuff or giving it away, I stopped. Ditto with sewing clothes. My ex lost several pairs of sweat pants in the bush so I just started buying them for him.

One of the good things about knitting your own stuff is you get the colour and pattern you like, not usually possible in retail stores. Also, if you need to adjust the fit, no problem. Again, not always possible with purchased items. Another one is that it's HOME MADE, so people love you for it Smile

Other than that, it can be boring or a trial (counting, counting!) and confusing - some pattern companies are notorious for omitting lines of instruction so you have to guess!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 08:00 am
@drillersmum,

http://able2know.org/topic/36626-1
ehBeth

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 08:21 am
@Region Philbis,
gosh, that was a nice re-read

thanks for finding it Reeeeeeeeeege
0 Replies

drillersmum

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 08:22 am
Hi ehBeth and Mame,
"What exactly do I want to talk about re: knitting?"
Already you have done what I was hoping for.. just the sort of stuff we'd chin-wag about over a cup of coffee or tea. Nothing intent... just a bit of loose chat, if you know what I mean.
At my age there's no way would I want to start a 'proper garment' ever again because I'd never get it finished. When I was a teenager I remember knitting some beaut gloves knitted in 4 ply and I'd embroider a couple of pretty flowers on the back. That was in the mid 50's, long before we could buy factory machine made gloves for about $1 a pair today. Whenever I see someone wearing a hand made cardigan or jumper I look at them with admiration, like I was looking at a work of art, because that is what they really are..works of art. All the work that went into them is so amazing. Nowadays I'm only interested in simple scarves because there is no pattern to follow as I watch TV. And the knitting gives me something to do with my hands instead of reaching into the cookie/lolly jar. Then my mind wanders to others who may feel a bit like me. Earlier tonight while I did some googling I came across an idea for a pair of childs mittens... and the cuffs were knitted up using a fancy yarn, to add a nice bit of fluffy flair to them. That is going to be a nice little project for later on when I've finished the one I am working on at the moment.
Is littlek still around? It would be so nice to see the photos she posted.
A few years back I got interested in knitting dolls dresses and took lots of photos. Like a lot of things I get interested in, the fad lasted only a few years. At the moment it is just scarves and if I get sick of that then I'll pick up a crochet hook and just continue doing a square, around and around.. making it bigger and bigger. And I dabbled in knitted coat hanger covers.
Anyway, that's the sort of things I'd like to talk about.... nothing specific, just a few lines here and there, now and again.
Thanks for your responses. Drillersmum.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 08:39 am
@drillersmum,
Hello again dMum. If you follow the link Region posted, you'll find a wonderful old discussion with a few photos of littlek's knitting. A number of the links no longer work as they led to a now defunct MSN group.

littlek still posts here - hopefully she and OssoB and a few other of the knitters will show up in your thread as well.

I bought several bags of yarn at a thrift shop a few years ago, and am having a lot of fun creating giant scarf/shawl/hoods to be used in nasty Canajun winter weather. They can be worn as shawls in a church/concert, but I've put a bit of a big scoop in so they can be pulled over the head if you're battling a snowstorm on the way home from the church/concert.

One of the things I like to do with many of my knitted projects is to knit in little secret pockets. I love sweaters/scarves with pockets that I can drop keys/tissues/doggie poop bags into til I need them. I hate having to carry a purse/bag just for a few essentials. A small cellphone will fit into one of those pockets as well.
0 Replies

drillersmum

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 09:47 am
Thanks to Region for the site to littlek. I've checked it out and have already tagged it so I can refer back to it quickly.
Shame the pics are no longer available. Maybe littlek might return and refresh them.
It was interesting to see when that site started back in 2004 and ceased this time of the year in 2007.
The accumulation of knitting yarn must be addictive. I have to force myself NOT to buy anymore yarn, but when it is on special I just can't help myself. At the moment the fancy yarns are almost being thrown out of the store. I can't resist a bargain. My 'collection' of knitting yarn ended up in our old caravan which has been turned into a storage room with plastic containers full of assorted knitting yarn. I have steered away from wool because of the little wool eating critters that chew into the balls of yarn when I am not looking. The last thing I want is holes destroying all of my hard yakka. Maybe when I get a bit more cluey in here I might be able to post a picture or two of some of my own 'creations'. I liked the idea of knitting pockets into scarves etc. I saw one pattern/idea where a pocket was knitted into each end of the scarf.. it looked like the ends were just folded up and stitched into place and it made a great place for cold hands to fit on a freezing day. I guess you had to see it to get the idea. Bye for now, D'mum.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 09:53 am
@drillersmum,
For my little secret pockets, I simply pick up 8 - 12 stitches (depends on the yarn/needles) in the back of the project, knit/purl a square that ends up about 2.5 x 3 inches - include a small button hole by dropping 2 - 3 stitches in one row and picking them up in the next. I only have to stitch down the edges - sew in a tiny button - or pull a yarn thread through and tie up through the button-hole. Easy-peasy secret pocket!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 09:56 am
@drillersmum,
I'd love to see photos of some of your projects drillersmum.

I should try to get someone to pose in a couple of my favourite old hand-knits. Mostly Fair Isles that I had fun with.

hamburgboy (A2K poster and my dad) has possession of one of my most infamous projects. A giant sweater in a very heavy Norwegian wool - the thing is as big and heavy and warm as a coat. It's really only useful if the temps are below -40 celsius - though I understand it makes a great draft bolster on his good chair Laughing
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 05:02 pm
Oi! Hi drillersmom. I still knit.... I have gotten slightly further than the straight knit. Now I can make ribs. And hats. Wee! The bigger challenge is finding chunky weight cotton, silk, hemp, bamboo, etc as animal fur generally bothers my skin.

Here's a pic of my first baby blanket (colors were requested by the expecting mom).

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i175/Gigipix/Cape%20Cod/20061227Krisknitting.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 05:18 pm
I last knit in the late eighties, but I still have some good yarn and good pattern books. My favorite thing was a vest (or jacket) of mixed yarns - I still love it. Will take a photo, but then I have to learn (finally) how to download them on this computer.
drillersmum

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2014 09:44 am
@ossobuco,
WOW... doesn't time fly?!
It's nearly 4 years since the last posting.
I'm still knitting.... this year I'm concentrating on MOBIUS SCARVES. There are some great ideas via Google. Just type in Mobius scarves. Last winter I took a break from knitting and crocheted tea towels or maybe that was the year before. I think last year I knitted up several beanies using a sort of "pineapple" pattern. At my age I am losing track of time.
The Mobius scarves are keeping me quiet for the time being. So simple. Don't have to worry about following a difficult pattern.
I am trying to knit up one x 100g ball of yarn per week in an attempt to lower my huge supply of yarn. If I succeed, I would be able to use up 52 balls a year, but I know it is going to be an uphill battle.
Anyway, I just thought I'd pop back into this page and see what was happening.... and I think I need to learn how to put a picture into here. It cannot be too complicated... surely. Bye for now.. D'mum
0 Replies