Do i get this job?

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 12:42 am
How often do people get their job from their family connection. My brother ` s friend ofter me a job. Do i take it? The reason to not take it is that i really ******* hate your brother, and i have nothing but hatred for him. I curse him to all the 18 level of hell. If i accept that job, then his friend would constantly send information about me to him. I don` t want that. Any advice?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,526 • Replies: 8
No top replies

jeeprs

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 02:17 am
@TuringEquivalent,
Hatred is destructive. Let it go, or you will always find yourself in bad company.
qualia

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 04:22 am
@jeeprs,
As you may be aware, nepotism is quite prevalent in Spain, and I imagine it is in other Latin countries. In fact, outsiders and not really trusted and in many businesses here in Spain - even in the multinationals like Unilever, General Motors, IBM, where you would have thought a different mindset regulated their employment practices - nepotism is rife, so much so that one's chance of employment is often more regulated by the contacts known, than one's qualifications, experiences, and know-how!

With that said, in light of your hatred for your brother, if you need the job, then take it. It doesn't seem to be your brother's friend you hate, right? So, I can't see the problem.

To the best of your ability, you should not allow family or private mess-ups to interfere with your professional life. You try to leave it at home as best as possible. I know it's not easy, but, still, in this market-world, you've got to man-up.

If you see that your collegue (the brother's mate) is passing on work related issues and work performance behaviour outcomes to other external parties (your brother), you should immediately discuss the matter with him, say it is unpleasent and causing strife in your own family. Unless this mate is a total loon, he or she will listen up and take note. If it persists a step further, you can take action. Record the event and report it to your employees. It is out of order, unprofessional, and in many cases completely illegal. Your working relationship with the mate should be professional at all times.

If your mate is going to be your boss, your employee, then quite simply, I'd avoid the strife, and politely turn down the offer - unless you're starving.

Finally, as jeeprs has noted you should try to give up on this hatred thing.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 08:07 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;165216 wrote:
How often do people get their job from their family connection. My brother ` s friend ofter me a job. Do i take it? The reason to not take it is that i really ******* hate your brother, and i have nothing but hatred for him. I curse him to all the 18 level of hell. If i accept that job, then his friend would constantly send information about me to him. I don` t want that. Any advice?
Say no, find another job.
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 09:17 am
@TuringEquivalent,

Weight how irksome his presence and increased interaction would be against how badly you need this job. Forget about the nepotism; those that don't accept postings exclusively because of this end up bearing but one label: Unemployed.

Who knows, you may find that the compromise is well worth it. Besides, every creature must make uncomfortable compromises to survive; why should we be any different?

... just thoughts
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 09:54 am
@TuringEquivalent,

I cannot see a point to this thread.
TuringEquivalent

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 11:11 am
@Theaetetus,
^English is not your first language? I guess next time, i ought to be make it more easy.

Problem:

Quote:
The reason to not take it is that i really ******* hate your brother, and i have nothing but hatred for him. I curse him to all the 18 level of hell. If i accept that job, then his friend would constantly send information about me to him. I don` t want that

question:

Quote:
Any advice?
qualia

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 04:54 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent wrote:
^English is not your first language? I guess next time, i ought to be make it more easy.

Problem: The reason to not take it is that i really ******* hate your brother, and i have nothing but hatred for him. I curse him to all the 18 level of hell. If i accept that job, then his friend would constantly send information about me to him. I don` t want that

I think you already have some sound advice from jeeprs, Hexhammer, Khethil and myself, qualia. What more do you want?

That line about 'english is not your first language' is ambiguous. Who's being addressed, and what does it matter? Self-reflection is what is needed here. Why? Because your own English is incoherent Let's have a look.

TuringEquivalent writes, "...i really ******* hate your brother". In normal, everyday English, the possessive adjective 'your' refers to second person singular or plural. So in effective what you're saying is, 'you hate my brother', if I happen to have one, or the brother of others reading your post.

No one has taken offence at your own insipid language, so why the tantrum when Theaetetus comments on the inane OP?
TuringEquivalent

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 05:55 pm
@qualia,
qualia;165472 wrote:
I think you already have some sound advice from jeeprs, Hexhammer, Khethil and myself, qualia. What more do you want?

That line about 'english is not your first language' is ambiguous. Who's being addressed, and what does it matter? Self-reflection is what is needed here. Why? Because your own English is incoherent Let's have a look.

TuringEquivalent writes, "...i really ******* hate your brother". In normal, everyday English, the possessive adjective 'your' refers to second person singular or plural. So in effective what you're saying is, 'you hate my brother', if I happen to have one, or the brother of others reading your post.

No one has taken offence at your own insipid language, so why the tantrum when Theaetetus comments on the inane OP?

No tantrum, i merely want to make myself clear to everyone. I want to help Theaetetus out, because he does not know the point of this thread. I am also very sorry about your brother, because i assume it is easily decoded by a smart lad such as yourself. I also like to thank all the comments so far.
0 Replies