Does Media Violence Affect Us?

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 10:31 am
Perhaps this thread doesn't belong in this particular forum, but I really could care less. Very Happy

Anyway, I'm debating on whether children-or really, anybody- can justifiably blame their acts of violence on the media, which nowadays shows a lot of violence. For example, an eight-year-old is watching the Simpsons and later has an obsession with the word "gun" and everything that has to do with the word "gun." Is watching the Simpsons really the entire cause of this unexpected obsession and can the kid blame it on the Simpsons?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,864 • Replies: 14
No top replies

HexHammer

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 10:34 am
@Hi My Name Is,
Hi! My Name Is:;151371 wrote:
Perhaps this thread doesn't belong in this particular forum, but I really could care less. Very Happy

Anyway, I'm debating on whether children-or really, anybody- can justifiably blame their acts of violence on the media, which nowadays shows a lot of violence. For example, an eight-year-old is watching the Simpsons and later has an obsession with the word "gun" and everything that has to do with the word "gun." Is watching the Simpsons really the entire cause of this unexpected obsession and can the kid blame it on the Simpsons?
Imo those without good upbringing, alot of fustrations may get swayed by this kind of violence, as they don't have any good guidance by adults.
0 Replies

bmcreider

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 12:15 am
@Hi My Name Is,
I am not old enough, nor do I have kids, but it seems that if kids cannot make the distinction between real and not real, then there may be a problem. But parenting, peers, environment, all kinds of other things also culminate.
HexHammer

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 07:47 am
@bmcreider,
bmcreider;151685 wrote:
I am not old enough, nor do I have kids, but it seems that if kids cannot make the distinction between real and not real, then there may be a problem. But parenting, peers, environment, all kinds of other things also culminate.
Think that falls into skitzophrenic area, I think it's more the inherent instinct for mimmicing behaviour, to try and test things.
sometime sun

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 09:39 am
@HexHammer,
Coyboys and Indians.
Myth above war.
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 10:08 am
@Hi My Name Is,

No, I don't think we can blame the media directly. We can point our fingers that way crying, "Desensitizing!" (which I think is quite real), but ultimately each person 1) Has a choice whether or not to watch such stuff -and- 2) Makes their individual choices on what they do or don't do.

Something else. Although I'll be the first in line with my "I hate the Media"-tshirt, I think it's wise to keep in mind that media outlets are businesses. As such, what stays on, does so because it sells. What sells is what we turn on, leave on or otherwise pay money to go see. In other words: We may not like what's being shown, but as consumers we must bear at least some (if not most) of the responsibility for what's being offered. There are some correlations, but causal indicators - I'm not sure of.

As far as children go: From personal experience comes from a rather embarrassing episode from my youngest boy. He had taken to watching wrestling with his friends while being babysat. We knew about it, but as young parents didn't think much of it. One summer day when he was out wrestling with other neighborhood boys in the yard (as young dudes do), he climbed up on a fire hydrant, jumped, and (imitating a move he'd seen on WWF) came crashing down on another boy's forearm; snapping it. After all this came to light, his mother and I felt horrible and realizing our responsibility here, took full responsibility for the bills incurred (as well as a hefty amount of humble apologies). The lesson here (at least for me) was that although violence doesn't necessarily lead pathologically to violence, young children are often just very susceptible to 'ideas'. We learned a hard lesson

Lots of facets to this issue

Thanks
bmcreider

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 11:16 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;151787 wrote:
Think that falls into skitzophrenic area, I think it's more the inherent instinct for mimmicing behaviour, to try and test things.

Yes I do believe you are correct, as per the above example.
HexHammer

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 11:22 am
@Khethil,
Khethil;151837 wrote:
Lots of facets to this issue
Don't really see it as a multifacet issue, the principle is very simple. :Glasses:
0 Replies

TuringEquivalent

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 11:23 am
@bmcreider,
no, because personality formation according to some are largely effected by coping with the pressure of family life, or early life.
HexHammer

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 11:55 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;152841 wrote:
no, because personality formation according to some are largely effected by coping with the pressure of family life, or early life.
Then their behaviour will still adhere certain algorithms and principles, which are predictable.

Please read some psycology, seems you are ignorent about it.
TuringEquivalent

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 10:07 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;152852 wrote:
Then their behaviour will still adhere certain algorithms and principles, which are predictable.

Please read some psycology, seems you are ignorent about it.

I bet i know more than you.
Theaetetus

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 01:32 am
@Hi My Name Is,
I agree with Khethil, the media cannot be blamed directly. It is ultimately the responsibility of parents to explain and put into context what their children absorb from the media. As much as I tend to hate most of the mainstream media, it would be unfair to scapegoat in it for fault in what is really a failure of parenting. The media is not going to change because a few kids have some wires crossed. It is not their problem--even though, sometimes they are directing their message at children. Something are just not meant for children to view, but it is ultimately the job of the parents to draw the line on what a child can view, and to put that into a perspective so they understand consequences they may face for mimicry.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 04:57 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;153415 wrote:
I bet i know more than you.
I do not doubt that, but useing it is another matter.
0 Replies

William

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 05:27 am
@Hi My Name Is,

Anyway, I'm debating on whether children-or really, anybody- can justifiably blame their acts of violence on the media, which nowadays shows a lot of violence. For example, an eight-year-old is watching the Simpson's and later has an obsession with the word "gun" and everything that has to do with the word "gun." Is watching the Simpson's really the entire cause of this unexpected obsession and can the kid blame it on the Simpson's?

No, it does far worse. It causes rationalization in that lesser violent acts not as bad. We feel better by doing less wrong summing it up by saying "that's only human" or "that's life" excusing that violence as "just one of those things".

William
bmcreider

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 08:55 am
@William,
William;153515 wrote:
No, it does far worse. It causes rationalization in that lesser violent acts not as bad. We feel better by doing less wrong summing it up by saying "that's only human" or "that's life" excusing that violence as "just one of those things".

William

That is one of my biggest pet peeves - people justifying their apathy towards injustices we created by saying "that's the way it is."
0 Replies