9 year old suicide

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 12:00 pm
There was recently a story on CNN about a 9 year old boy who hung himself in the bathroom of his elementary school because his family was dysfunctional. My question is whether you think this is an isolated incident or that family life has become so meaningless and so undervalued in today's society that children under the age of 10 feel the need to take their own life? Unfortunately I don't have the article, but I'll try and do some digging and find it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,021 • Replies: 65
No top replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 01:02 pm
@Karpowich,
I'm not sure it has become meaningless. It seems that family life has just as much meaning as ever.

Imagine this young boy, to whom family life must have great meaning given that he killed himself over it. It's the quality of family life that is often the source of problems, not the lack of meaning of family life.
0 Replies

Pyrrho

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 01:59 pm
@Karpowich,
Here are some links about the story:

Community shocked over 9-year-old's suicide at Dallas elementary school | khou.com | Houston News, Local News, Breaking News, Weather | Home

Apparent suicide of 9-year-old boy in The Colony raises questions | Local News | News fr...

School shocked, grief-stricken by 9-year-old's apparent suicide | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Breaking News for Dallas-Fort Worth | Dallas Morning News

I do not understand why people would be surprised that a nine year old might not feel that life is not worth living any more than someone of a different age. Killing yourself early avoids potentially many years of pain.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 02:23 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;123711 wrote:

And pleasure, too.
Pyrrho

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 02:35 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;123716 wrote:
And pleasure, too.

Yes, of course. The question to be answered, if pleasure and pain are the measurements of a good life, is which will predominate? That will give the "rational" answer to the question of whether or not one should kill oneself.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 02:37 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;123720 wrote:
Yes, of course. The question to be answered, if pleasure and pain are the measurements of a good life, is which will predominate? That will give the "rational" answer to the question of whether or not one should kill oneself.

And how are we to know that?
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 02:44 pm
@kennethamy,
Self-examination and experience. Those pre-historic tools that continue to bear tremendous fruit.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 02:47 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;123725 wrote:
Self-examination and experience. Those pre-historic tools that continue to bear tremendous fruit.

These will tell us whether we are more likely to have a painful than a pleasurable life? Hmmm. Do you perhaps think that what happens to us may have something to do with it too? Just asking, of course.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 02:56 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;123727 wrote:
These will tell us whether we are more likely to have a painful than a pleasurable life?

Yep.

kennethamy;123727 wrote:
Do you perhaps think that what happens to us may have something to do with it too?

Question seems unclear.

Do you mean "Do you think that [our experience] will have something to do with [learning whether we are more or less likely to have a pleasurable life]?"

or

"Do you think that [our experience] will have something to do with [our self-examination and experience]?"

Or something else entirely?
kennethamy

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 03:00 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;123733 wrote:
Yep.

Question seems unclear.

Do you mean "Do you think that [our experience] will have something to do with [learning whether we are more or less likely to have a pleasurable life]?"

or

"Do you think that [our experience] will have something to do with [our self-examination and experience]?"

Or something else entirely?

I mean that whether good or bad things happen to us will largely determine the kind of life we are going to live. And what happens to us is largely not in our control. And no amount of analysis or self-examination (whatever those are) will matter.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 03:14 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;123735 wrote:
I mean that whether good or bad things happen to us will largely determine the kind of life we are going to live. And what happens to us is largely not in our control. And no amount of analysis or self-examination (whatever those are) will matter.

Maybe you missed it.

I included experience in that list. Self-examination and experience. Experience happens to be those things that happen to us.

Let me try to explain this to you. If something bad happens to you, you have had a bad experience. If something good happens to you, you have had a good experience. Get it? If not, don't worry, I know this can be difficult. I'd suggest you meditate on the concept. In time, understanding will come. Good luck!
kennethamy

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 03:18 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;123744 wrote:
Maybe you missed it.

I included experience in that list. Self-examination and experience. Experience happens to be those things that happen to us.

Let me try to explain this to you. If something bad happens to you, you have had a bad experience. If something good happens to you, you have had a good experience. Get it? If not, don't worry, I know this can be difficult. I'd suggest you meditate on the concept. In time, understanding will come. Good luck!

That certainly explains it. (What?). How we discover whether life is worth living or not? I guess I really don't get it.
0 Replies

Pyrrho

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 03:28 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;123735 wrote:

In that case, one might decide that it is better to not take a chance on the vicissitudes of life, and end things as soon as reasonably possible. Or one might prefer to take one's chances with life. If it is all unknown, then it would appear that neither decision is inherently more rational. In which case, people ought not judge it irrational to commit suicide, while claiming that continuing to live is the better choice.

Of course, it is not quite the same to say that something is out of one's control, and that it is unpredictable. One ought to go with the best prediction one can make. If there is no way to judge it at all, then neither decision could be more reasonable than the other.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 03:45 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;123751 wrote:
In that case, one might decide that it is better to not take a chance on the vicissitudes of life, and end things as soon as reasonably possible. Or one might prefer to take one's chances with life. If it is all unknown, then it would appear that neither decision is inherently more rational. In which case, people ought not judge it irrational to commit suicide, while claiming that continuing to live is the better choice.

Of course, it is not quite the same to say that something is out of one's control, and that it is unpredictable. One ought to go with the best prediction one can make. If there is no way to judge it at all, then neither decision could be more reasonable than the other.

I did not say that all was unknown, but, of course, much is unknown, and a lot more for some than for others. A rich man, who is healthy, has a lot more to hope for than the average Haitian. An American has a lot more to hope for than nearly anyone else on Earth. And, so on.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 04:35 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;123746 wrote:
That certainly explains it. (What?). How we discover whether life is worth living or not? I guess I really don't get it.

Before we go any further, have you grasped the concept of experience? I'd really hate to waste time with this issue if you have yet to understand the basic players.

You do now understand that experience is comprised of those things that happen to us? That if a bad thing happens to you, you have had a bad experience, ect?
kennethamy

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 06:22 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;123760 wrote:
Before we go any further, have you grasped the concept of experience? I'd really hate to waste time with this issue if you have yet to understand the basic players.

You do now understand that experience is comprised of those things that happen to us? That if a bad thing happens to you, you have had a bad experience, ect?

Grasped. With both hands, and feet too. Now what?
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 06:25 pm
@kennethamy,
Beats me, you were the one who had such trouble with the idea that people can determine if life is worth living through self-examination and experience.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 06:32 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;123769 wrote:
Beats me, you were the one who had such trouble with the idea that people can determine if life is worth living through self-examination and experience.

Oh, I thought you had some reason for asking me that. I suppose you did not. I still have no idea why you believe what you do. Maybe you don't have any reason, though.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 04:00 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;123771 wrote:
Oh, I thought you had some reason for asking me that.

I did - because you wondered if my suggestion was insufficient because experience might play a role, even though I listed experience.

kennethamy;123771 wrote:
I still have no idea why you believe what you do. Maybe you don't have any reason, though.

You never asked. Instead, you preferred to quibble with me in a rather strange, and clearly unproductive way.
GoshisDead

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 07:14 pm
@kennethamy,
We have a high functioning Autistic boy and in the course of his therapies one psychologist told us that suicide among kids younger than 12 is uncommon but very possible, especially among those with learning and mental disorders who can understand that they are not normal in comparison to their peer age group.
0 Replies