4
   

Humans and natural instinct.

 
 
Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 08:08 pm
Do humans have any natural instinct?

If we put a toddler or an infant in the woods would it survive on its own? I think not.

Please post your thoughts, any other senarios you might have, or if you could prove me wrong that'd be cool too. Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 13,895 • Replies: 51
No top replies

 
Elmud
 
  1  
Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 02:38 pm
@mister kitten,
mister kitten;73824 wrote:
Do humans have any natural instinct?

If we put a toddler or an infant in the woods would it survive on its own? I think not.

Please post your thoughts, any other senarios you might have, or if you could prove me wrong that'd be cool too. Very Happy
Yeah. I think a mothers love for her child is a natural instinct. Also, I think the love one has for the one they are meant to be with is natural as well. Kind of instinctual in a sense. Maybe.
0 Replies
 
richrf
 
  1  
Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 04:37 pm
@mister kitten,
mister kitten;73824 wrote:
Do humans have any natural instinct?

If we put a toddler or an infant in the woods would it survive on its own? I think not.

Please post your thoughts, any other senarios you might have, or if you could prove me wrong that'd be cool too. Very Happy


Hi,

One would have to define what they mean by natural instincts. However, I would say right out of the gate, a baby knows how to breath, how to eat, how to move, how to see, how to make noise (this is a big one), how to sense with touch. etc. I have observed babies, and each are a little bit different at birth, and certainly each child shows a different set of skills or natural aptitudes in their early years. These are typically called inherited characteristics.

I think it would be difficult to suggest that humans aren't born with natural instincts. But maybe you are suggesting something different?

Rich
0 Replies
 
HexHammer
 
  1  
Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 05:05 am
@mister kitten,
mister kitten;73824 wrote:
Do humans have any natural instinct?

If we put a toddler or an infant in the woods would it survive on its own? I think not.

Please post your thoughts, any other senarios you might have, or if you could prove me wrong that'd be cool too. Very Happy
Humans does have many natural instinct, only that they takes long time to evolve.

Usually the instinct kicks in when the person are ready to use them, it would be impractical if a baby had a hunting instinct, it wouldn't have the nessesary strength, wisdom, intelligence ..etc to hunt.
0 Replies
 
wayne
 
  1  
Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 05:36 am
@mister kitten,
mister kitten;73824 wrote:
Do humans have any natural instinct?

If we put a toddler or an infant in the woods would it survive on its own? I think not.

Please post your thoughts, any other senarios you might have, or if you could prove me wrong that'd be cool too. Very Happy


Leave a baby tiger alone in the woods ,it wont survive either.
I think the answer is there though.
When a baby is hungry it doesn't just sit there, it instinctively cries for food. It doesn't appear to be a learned behavior
amist
 
  1  
Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 07:13 am
@mister kitten,
Quote:
Do humans have any natural instinct?


Yes, next question.
0 Replies
 
YEM
 
  1  
Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 12:37 am
@wayne,
That is too harsh an environment where too many things could go wrong. The instinct to eat has nothing to do with a babies survival in the wood where it could be eaten by a wolf.

Put a puppy in an empty room and fill its bowl once a day. I guarantee it doesnt starve to death without you shoving its face into the bowl.
0 Replies
 
lazer
 
  1  
Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 09:08 pm
@mister kitten,
I think that we have plenty of natural instincts. I think sexual attraction and courtship, for example, involve various natural instincts, as does social interaction in general. We instinctively pick up on so many things about each other every day. I, as a woman, am instinctively attracted to men who are able to protect and care for me and my potential offspring. On the flip side, I don't actually want any offspring...which can mean that my maternal instinct is shoddy, but this is akin to other animals who abandon their young. Just because they don't have the sufficient maternal instinct doesn't mean that other instincts aren't there either.
north
 
  1  
Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 09:24 pm
@lazer,
lazer;141163 wrote:
I think that we have plenty of natural instincts. I think sexual attraction and courtship, for example, involve various natural instincts, as does social interaction in general. We instinctively pick up on so many things about each other every day. I, as a woman, am instinctively attracted to men who are able to protect and care for me and my potential offspring.


Naturally


Quote:
On the flip side, I don't actually want any offspring...which can mean that my maternal instinct is shoddy, but this is akin to other animals who abandon their young. Just because they don't have the sufficient maternal instinct doesn't mean that other instincts aren't there either.


fair enough , perhaps maturity ?

or not ?
lazer
 
  1  
Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 09:34 pm
@north,
north;141169 wrote:
Naturally




fair enough , perhaps maturity ?

or not ?


Possibly maturity, that's certainly what my partner likes to think (because this means eventually one is bound to "grow up"). But is there really a way to tell? And after how many years of finding kids annoying and sometimes even repulsive can we take maturity as the potential reason off the table?
north
 
  1  
Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 09:47 pm
@lazer,
lazer;141172 wrote:
Possibly maturity, that's certainly what my partner likes to think (because this means eventually one is bound to "grow up"). But is there really a way to tell? And after how many years of finding kids annoying and sometimes even repulsive can we take maturity as the potential reason off the table?


your attitude is what it is , no wrong , no right

to have childern and resent them , is not a good thing for them , in the end
0 Replies
 
maqbool khawaja
 
  1  
Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 05:25 am
@mister kitten,
mister kitten;73824 wrote:
Do humans have any natural instinct?

If we put a toddler or an infant in the woods would it survive on its own? I think not.

Please post your thoughts, any other senarios you might have, or if you could prove me wrong that'd be cool too. Very Happy


answer

I think the survival or death of an infant in the woods is entirely subjected to the circumstances available moment to moment and individual instinctive qualities or capabilities will a very little role to play the ultimate decision will be made by mother Nature or God.:detective:
0 Replies
 
mister kitten
 
  1  
Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 01:13 pm
@mister kitten,
Ah forget the baby in the woods.
What are some of these natural instincts?

Offspring was mentioned. Is it natural to love the offspring, or are we taught that it's natural through society?

Is there a difference between natural instinct and natural functions?

Is it a natural instinct or natural function to preserve life?

Does natural instinct count as knowledge? Wisdom?
Rwa001
 
  1  
Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 01:29 pm
@mister kitten,
Quote:
When a baby is hungry it doesn't just sit there, it instinctively cries for food. It doesn't appear to be a learned behavior


It isn't crying for food. It is crying in response to discomfort. I think you would have trouble arguing that this is an instinct and not a reflex.

I was under the impression that we had generally removed 'instinct' from the vernacular and replaced it with 'drives'. We all naturally have drives that influence our behavior, but not instincts.
HexHammer
 
  1  
Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 02:47 pm
@lazer,
lazer;141163 wrote:
I think that we have plenty of natural instincts. I think sexual attraction and courtship, for example, involve various natural instincts, as does social interaction in general. We instinctively pick up on so many things about each other every day. I, as a woman, am instinctively attracted to men who are able to protect and care for me and my potential offspring. On the flip side, I don't actually want any offspring...which can mean that my maternal instinct is shoddy, but this is akin to other animals who abandon their young. Just because they don't have the sufficient maternal instinct doesn't mean that other instincts aren't there either.
You should be aware of difference between group think/flok instinct and basic instincts.
0 Replies
 
Derek M
 
  1  
Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 04:01 pm
@mister kitten,
I'd say if sex doesn't count as instinctual behavior, then there is no animal behavior that does. So it would seem to me that humans have instincts.
0 Replies
 
attano
 
  1  
Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 05:57 pm
@mister kitten,
mister kitten;73824 wrote:
Do humans have any natural instinct?

If we put a toddler or an infant in the woods would it survive on its own? I think not.

Please post your thoughts, any other senarios you might have, or if you could prove me wrong that'd be cool too. Very Happy


Yes, plenty. I agree with all those who said humans do have instincts.

What would prove that you are wrong...?
I guess that self-preservation can count as a natural instinct, or it is the "implementation" of the instinct to survival.
The fact that we all eventually die (so far, at least) is no evidence that this instinct does not exist.

But I have to confess that I am not sure to know what an instinct is.
Does the definition "inherent inclination of a living organism toward a particular behavior" (see Wikipedia) really explain what an instinct is? Not to me, honestly.
And, even if I knew what instincts are, I have questions about them.

Such as:
Are there instincts that are not "natural"?
Is it possible to learn (somehow) a new instinct? One should answer no, because instincts are supposedly innate, unlearned. Instincts come exclusively through the species, they are all hereditary.
Isn't that conflicting with another relevant character in the species hystory: adaptation?
How would a "new" instinct that may become essential for the survival of the species come into play, how would it be acquired and become hereditary? Or are there genetical mutations that would create new instincts? (Would it be possible to genetically engineer instincts?)

<<Human "reason" supersed instincts in the struggle for life>> ?
That would not wholly explain. And frankly I am not sure to know what is reason either.
0 Replies
 
William
 
  1  
Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 06:36 pm
@mister kitten,
Just a little bit of my thoughts

One should not compare instinct as it applies to what that is in human to what it is in animal. It matters not if we are animal or human without the proper care neither will survive.

We are not the same, though there is instinct in both animal and man. Instinct is that which the human can naturally adapt to that is unique to individual alone. Unlike the animal that automatically adopts the nature of the pack or what ever the group is called, their instinct has reached it's maturity. Ours has just begun and is a bit more complicated. Once ours has reached maturity, if that is the applicable word, then we, too, will be "human"; that group we are. The collective of all we are and a synergy will ensue of the likes that will be nothing less than "heavenly".

We mistake in the assumption that we are animal and subsequently excuse that feral behavior in man as genetic and a part of his innate being when there is evidence that is clear and assures there are real reasons why man resorts to that animalistic behavior. Stop treating man like an animal and I can assure you the behavior will stop also.

The only thing that makes sense to me is we are all alien to this planet we all call home. For what reasons we are here is not known. Perhaps we all play different instruments in god's orchestral universe and were meant to play beautiful music together? Like I have offered before as to our indoctrination and orientation, we are still tuning up. The animal is playing immaculately, we are not. We were meant to learn from our mistakes; not profit from them.

It can be conceived that we, the human, our group is still suffering from god's transition from what the wisdom of the Earth was before and learning what it is to be human. The devil is that transitional middle man and a part of that process. As long as we ignore the very common sense plausible assumption, the devil's horns sharpen and the flames rise higher indicated by our very own temperature and the tempers we display and consequences of what the heat of the moment instills.
There is no way we can possibly at this time create a handy little pill to fix us. There are just too many judgmental errors to track them all down. All we can do is allow life for all in such a way all will live life without having to pay a price to do so.

When we do this then we all can "take credit" for what will ensue rather than a single individual. For no one is the inventor. It took many to achieve anything. For instance many reward Thomas Edison for inventing the light bulb, but the facts are without Sir Humphrey Davy, William de la Rue, Frederick de Moleyns and Joseph Wilson Swan, Edison would not have what he did to make it work.

The same can be said of Christ and what he was doing in those 18 years of his life no one seems to know anything about, if indeed such a man did truly exist. What he espoused could have been the result of the thoughts of many great men? The same can be said of Buddha, Confusius, Marcus Aurelius, Epicurus, Plato, Aristotle and so on. Chronology gets very hazy over time. Hell, for the most part we have only been reading and writing for less than half a century; at least in such a way in which some could understand anyway.

All we need is trust, communication, cooperation and dare I say love of our fellow man? Oh, I know that is not the way things are and the oft quoted cliche is "that's life". I will agree it does seem that way now and always has. Does that mean it never could be? If I am at all correct, then this is not life. Not yet.

Freedom is a beautiful word and when man can be free what is instinctive to him will come automatically to him. When all are so free I think it will be truly amazing at what we can accomplish....together. Perhaps even miraculous. Hmmm?

William
0 Replies
 
mister kitten
 
  1  
Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 06:49 pm
@mister kitten,
attano;

Instinct cannot be learned. Bike riding is learned-if I don't practice for a long time I can still go back to the bike and ride it.
Instinct cannot be memorized.

Does instinct require no thought(s)?
reasoning logic
 
  1  
Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 06:56 pm
@lazer,
lazer;141172 wrote:
Possibly maturity, that's certainly what my partner likes to think (because this means eventually one is bound to "grow up"). But is there really a way to tell? And after how many years of finding kids annoying and sometimes even repulsive can we take maturity as the potential reason off the table?

To me it seems that you are logical. That is a good quality! I can be wrong but I would think that most women who are wanting to have children are driven by hormones and emotions in a different way than what you may be. Everyone's brain biology is a little different, Both qualities are good but in my case my hormones made me so illogical that I could not think logically when I was young, instead I would say that I acted out more as a animal would act in my youth.Smile
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

How can we be sure? - Discussion by Raishu-tensho
DOES NOTHING EXIST??? - Question by mark noble
Proof of nonexistence of free will - Discussion by litewave
morals and ethics, how are they different? - Question by existential potential
Destroy My Belief System, Please! - Discussion by Thomas
Star Wars in Philosophy. - Discussion by Logicus
Existence of Everything. - Discussion by Logicus
Is it better to be feared or loved? - Discussion by Black King
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Humans and natural instinct.
Copyright © 2017 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 01/23/2017 at 08:58:59