"Metropolis" The Astonishing Restoration

princessash185

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 01:41 pm
I watched Spirited Away last night again. . . I'm always impressed by the look of the film, and the concept is really terrifying. . . turns out rather tame, however :-) My brother liked Spirited Away so much I bought him the 6 book Manga collection. The art was just incredible, and then I realized they had just taken movie frames and used them as illustration. . .
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 01:44 pm
The animated "Metropolis" has been repeated on the premium cable channels so frequently that I've caught it several times. I also like the design of that film. I hope it brings more movie watchers to the original.
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 01:48 pm
I've never seen it. . . is the story more coherent?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 02:31 pm
Yes -- actually a very biting and even more satirical script which could have been written by George Orwell or even Anthony Burgess.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 02:33 pm
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 02:40 pm
I see. . . I may have to check that out :-)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 09:59 am
The animated "Metropolis" sure owes a lot to "Spirited Away." My favorite part in the later film was the lighting of the laterns and night -- reminded me of "Raise the Red Laterns." The unfettered imagination gave the film a dream quality that you can't fake.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 02:10 am
Back to this restoration. I really commend the artistic integrity of the primarilly German group who decided this film should be perserved in all its glory. They knew what they wanted to achieve and they came close to being perfect (Lawd knows what they had to work with).
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 04:01 pm
Was it really a German group? That's neat. . . a lot of the Germans I know these days have never even heard of Metropolis. . . the only German cinema they're real familiar with is, of course, Lola rennt. . .
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 06:46 pm
It is a German company and they've worked on a lot of American films. Their techniques are painstaking and they only rely on digital when all coventional methods fail to do an adquate job.
0 Replies