Why Islam? Fastest Growing Religion in America

Thomas

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 12:51 am
firdaus wrote:
hmmff...did you read the article i posted? can we get past the 'do people really convert to Islam?' bit?

Yes I did. My impression was that nobody really knows how many Muslims there are in the USA, and how their number is changing over time.

Quote:
It doesn't matter exactly how many americans convert, just that they do...which I, my husband, and about 100 other people I personally know are evidence of.

I think you are overstating your case here. In a population of 290 million people, some odd things always happen to somebody. What matters in the context of your point is not whether this particular phenomenon happens at all. It's whether it happens often enough to qualify as non-odd, and worth paying attention to as a social trend.

Quote:
The question is, If Islam is what most people believe it to be, the anti-thesis of everything West, why would anyone from the West convert? 2nd

My answer would be that your premise is wrong. From my own observations, I'd say that most people believe religious fanatism to be the anti-thesis of everything West, but have no problem with moderate Muslims at all.

Quote:
3rd, why the automatic standoffishness and negativite reactions about the topic of Islam?

Again, I can't confirm this from my own observations. I have found Americans quite interested in Islamic culturures -- including the religion. If your experience differs, it could be either because the particular Americans you met were especially intolerant, or that the particular variant of Islam you adhere to looks especially threatening to them, or that you just had bad luck. I don't believe the premise of your question is true for American society as a whole.
0 Replies

MINDBOMB

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 09:23 am
Muslims don’t accept the idea of conversion it is called reversion since they claim all are born muslims and then suffer apostasy the penalty for this is death.
Insistence that the same god of islam, the black rock in the kabba “allah” is a god in any way other then the A.A. higher power way (they suggest a doorknob will do) is ludicrous.
The furious of the growth of islam is irrelevant .
Misstatements about the peace loving killers of islam are proof of the lack of knowledge one has about islam

PEACEFUL MUSLIM HYPOCRITES:

Qur’an 48:11 “The desert Arabs who lagged behind [in fighting] will say to you (Muhammad): ‘We were engaged in (looking after) our flocks and our families.’ We have prepared for them a Blazing Fire!”

Qur’an 48:17 “There is no blame for the blind, nor is it a sin for the lame, nor on one ill if he joins not in the fighting. But he who retreats, (Allah) will punish him with a painful doom.”

Qur’an 4:77 “Have you not seen those to whom it was said: Withhold your hands from fighting, perform the prayer and pay the zakat. But when orders for fighting were issued, a party of them feared men as they ought to have feared Allah. They say: ‘Our Lord, why have You ordained fighting for us, why have You made war compulsory?’”

Qur’an 4:78 “Wherever you are, death will find you, even if you are in towers built up strong and high! If some good befalls, they say, ‘This is from Allah;’ but if evil, they say, ‘This is from you (Muhammad).’ Say: ‘All things are from Allah.’ So what is wrong with these people, that they fail to understand these simple words?”

Qur’an 4:88 “What is the matter with you that you are divided about the Hypocrites? Allah has cast them back (causing their disbelief). Would you guide those whom Allah has thrown out of the Way? For those whom Allah has thrown aside and led astray, never shall they find the Way.” Qur’an 4:89 “They wish that you would reject Faith, as they have, and thus be on the same footing: Do not be friends with them until they leave their homes in Allah’s Cause. But [and this is a hell of a but...] if they turn back from Islam, becoming renegades, seize them and kill them wherever you find them.”

Qur’an 47:20 “Those who believe say, ‘How is it that no surah was sent down (for us)?’ But when a categorical [decisive or uncompromising] surah is revealed, and fighting and war (Jihad, holy fighting in Allah’s Cause) are ordained, you will see those with diseased hearts looking at you (Muhammad) fainting unto death. Therefore woe unto them!”

current muslim population prifiles are avaiable on my site updated periodicaly

[EDIT: Moderator: Do not post your links]
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 01:21 pm
True, one should never trust those of us who have studied the subject. Instead we should trust right wing findies like you. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

nura22

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 11:11 pm
RE: Muslims Peaceful hypocrites
It's amazing how people can criticize a religion based on an hour of research. Normally I wouldn't reply to the arguments presented about "Muslims being peaceful hypocrites", for the reason that your arguments are beyond unintelligent (No offense). But tonight I guess I just want to argue Smile The writer mentioned various verses Of the Quran, which by the way do not directly correspond to his original point, as evidence of Islamic hypocrisy. Let me ask the writer, where in history Especially Christian history where war is not a reality. In the beginning Islam was hated by all pagans who wanted to get rid of it. Like early Christians, Muslims were persecuted, murdered, tortured, and turned out of their homes because of their beliefs. It was only inevitable when Muslims would have to fight to protect their very existence. The major philosophy of Islam is seeking the middle way. Unfortunately we live on earth with good people as well as bad people. In order for good to reign it has to fight evil. Really it is simple as that. Human hostility is a reality of life and Islam does not bullshit us about a utopian idea of life. War is life, and since humans have to fight there should ad least be rules. This is where the middle ground comes in. the Islamic faith is very clear on matters of Jihad. In fact historically Muslims were always known as fighting the most humane wars. When the crusaders invaded Jerusalem Christians and Jews who lived among the Reigning Muslims were raped, burned and tortured. Muslims have very strict rules on how they handle prisoners of war, the land, and women. Historically Muslims have always had the most Human institution of War the world has ever known. Research the history before you talk.

Before a person starts quoting from the Quran he should do a little research about the context in which it was revealed. Muslims were not given the order to fight years until they had no other choice. In fact the first Battle (Badr) Muslims were outnumbered 10 to 1 and yet through the grace of God defeated their enemies. The philosophy of the Muslim is an Eye for an eye, which I believe is a biblical quote. Yes we are peaceful because we prefer peace; however, when our lives are threatened a person has no choice but to fight back. It's like the saying; even a weak dog will bite if it is cornered.

Just a little extra, I am a convert or revert to Islam. I converted at the age of 11. As far as your discussion on the numbers I can't help you there, but I will tell you it's beyond amazing. I can list over 50 people who are friends of mine who are converts not to mention people I have met. my father who also converted used to run a center that talked to people abut Islam. All day people would come in and talk to him about the bible everything. I witnessed ad least 20 conversions myself when I was visiting. A growing phenomenon is in Jail systems. The growth of is Islam in prisons is amazing. I will tell you that the vast majority of converts are African-American Although I have met converts of all races. Islam is undisputedly the fast growing religion in the world and it is only going to grow with time. Instead of being so critical and reading the Quran to use as a weapon, read the Quran for real, clear minded and white hearted.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 11:16 pm
Nura, Mindbomb would appear to have been a "drive by."
He caem, spewed filth, then left. Welcome to A2K. Please don't judge us all on the comments of someone who is obviously an idiot.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 11:29 pm
Why does it matter what religion is the fastest growing in America? To each his own right?

I know that probably scares the hell out of Christians though. They just have to be number one. When will they realise that religion is a personal thing and it doesn't matter what religion others practice?
0 Replies

QKid

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 10:56 am
I can give a reason why so many people are coming to Islam. If you are someone looking for the truth, all you have to do is read the Quran. But like nura said, read it with an open mind and a clean heart. Dont have any intentions before reading it. You can find a good translation by just typing in THE NOBLE QURAN in Yahoo. It should be the first link. And start with Sura Fatiha (Chapt 1).

roverroad,
No. The Quran orders Muslims to have interfaith dialogues with people. We are supposed to talk to people about Islam. So speaking on behalf of the Muslims, religion is not only a personal thing.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 11:00 am
Immigration. They're bailing out of the mess they created in the middle east faster than you can say "jihad". Certainly it's not just the U.S. France is being overrun, so's Germany. And you wonder why they have the opinions of us that they do.

Too bad they don't leave Islam behind when they migrate.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 06:07 pm
QKid wrote:
No. The Quran orders Muslims to have interfaith dialogues with people. We are supposed to talk to people about Islam. So speaking on behalf of the Muslims, religion is not only a personal thing.

An interfaith dialog would denote a two way dialog. I remember the Taliban having a couple of American women under arrest for proselytizing their faith. What was that all about? You mean it is ok as long as the dialog is only about islam?
0 Replies

QKid

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 09:41 am
Mesquite,

I am waiting for your and Steve's response in Islamic Miracles.
0 Replies

Planet X

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 03:27 pm
Re: Why Islam? Fastest Growing Religion in America
firdaus wrote:
Being that so many Americans (but certainly not all) are opposed to Islam, calling it evil, as I've seen several times on this site...I'm curious why would so many Americans convert to Islam... what are the opinions on this matter?
Keeping in mind that converting religions is a matter people take very seriously, and would think through thouroughly, study extensively, contemplate, etc....not to mention that it would cause much upset in their families (most likely... how would your family react if you came home a muslim?)...and also put them in an unfavorable position in this society. They are really taking a strong stand if the choose to convert....a stand that doesn't make their lives in this society easier.

Also, considering that most Americans think Islam is very oppressive towards women... what are the thoughts on the statistics that women convert 4 times to every 1 male in this country?

Hi,
I am new to this but I thought I'd put my thoughts in here and any knowledge that I have. I also have seen many times that islam is being called evil. But here is the thing it is not just Americans that r becoming muslims, however of them there is a higher ratio in north america that people are embracing islam as a religion.
One thing I want put out there as well is that it is actually called "reverting" and not "converting" to islam this is because it is coming back to the right path, initially every child that is born is considered a muslim until taught otherwise when growing up.
The other thing about the ratio of women compared to men is because islam is not oppressive to women, this is a misconception and how people have actually not enforced the laws correctly. Islam has given certain responsibilities to men and women according to their nature.
Do not go on who thinks what and who says what unless you yourself have read everything possible from the texts it self.
Islam is not a new religion because submitting to Allah is not something new, ever since the beginning of time all the prophets mentioned and not mentioned have submitted themselves to Allah. However the Quran was sent as a final and complete message to all of humanity (not just muslims) to be the best that they can be. Islam has always taught to respect women of all kind. The Quran has given much freedom to women, in fact it was of it's first at the time. According to the laws of islam a woman is allowed to have possession of property and wealth and allowed to give it as she wishes, she is to keep whatever she makes, she may separate and re-marry, they are allowed to have her right in the property left behind by relatives, she may choose to marry who she wishes, the right to education. At that time women were not given any of these rights in the other religions, whatever you see now in north america is because of movement groups for women, media, in their books these rights r still not given to them. Islam is very liberating to women it is if you actually read what is says in the Quran rather than going by who said, she said, and he said.
As far as coping goes for families of people reverting to islam, i know it is a difficult part. But the point of this is that when people do this they know that there is no one greater than Allah not even your parents because he is your creator without him you would not exist and neither would your parents.
In the end this is a test ground for every individual, in terms of how well you follow Allah's instructions, what you endure here will only give you a better place in the hereafter which is eternal. So would you want to have a better life temporarily or eternally???
And once you spiritually know what is the truth you will cross all boundaries to do the right thing.
0 Replies

umayr

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 06:31 pm
Islam gains momentum after 9/11

In a recent interview with the BBC, British Home Secretary Jackoi Smith made some interesting observations about the unimaginable rapid spread of Islam in Europe.

Islam, choicest religion in EU - 21 / 07 / 2008 12:49
According to Smith, around 50,000 Britons are converting to Islam each year and since 2001, 400,000 Britons have converted to Islam.

He said the Muslim population in Britain has reached 2 million and followers of Islam are now the second biggest population in Britain after Christians.

He even suggested setting up an Islamic University in Britain given the overwhelming population of the Muslims in that country.

The momentum and intensity with which Islam is spreading in the West has puzzled the policy makers, religious scholars, researchers and media there.

The conversions have especially gained unimaginable momentum after 9/11. Most of the researchers believe that the fast erosion of the religious and cultural values in the Western societies is pushing its people towards Islam that offers a more comprehensive, well-knit and value-oriented cultural, social and family structure.

According to a recent report in the prestigious Time magazine, hundreds of new mosques are coming up in the West and most of the European cities now get to hear Azan (call for prayer) five times a day.

In Rome a grand mosque is coming up at a whopping cost of $30 million for which the land has been donated by the local government.

According to Dr Mehmood Siddiqi Saidi, Director, European Muslim Minority Board, while as per a recent UN report the Muslim population in Europe is 21 million, in actual it could be around 50 million.

As per the data available at islamicpopulation.com, in 2006 the Muslim population in Europe, including Russia, was around 50.70 million.

With the increase in Muslim population in Europe, the number of mosques and Islamic centers is also growing speedily.

While in Britain there were only 13 mosques in 1963, at present there are 600 mosques and 1400 Islamic organizations in the country.

France, with a population of 6 million Muslims, has 1300 mosques and Islamic centers in addition to around 600 Islamic organizations. The Muslims in France have a 24-hour radio channel. The estimated population of Muslims in France would reach around 8 million during the next 15 years.

Italy has a population of 1 million Muslims with 450 mosques and Islamic centers. According to reputed Italian magazine The Journal, in next 200 years the European society would almost entirely accept Islam as the only religion.

Germany has a Muslim population of 4 million with 1400 mosques and Islamic centers. The Muslim population ration in Germany is around 4 per cent.

In Canada the conversion rate to Islam has been almost 130 percent between 1991 and 2001.

In Switzerland around 6000 Christians converted to Islam after 9/11.

According to San Diego University researcher Jan Wax, by 2020, out of every four persons in Europe, one would be a Muslim.

The ratio of Muslim youth (between 45 and 50% of the Muslims) to EU youth is between 16 and 20%.

In other words, in a few years Muslims will constitute 16 to 20% of the European workforce, and could therefore influence policies and decision-making.

Albania has proportionally the largest Muslim population in all of Europe, with the exception of Turkey, which is situated at the crossroads of Europe and Asia.

According to the most recent census results, Albania’s Muslim population is estimated at 2.2 million, or 70% of the country’s total population.

Although Albania was officially an atheist society during the Communist period, and all public expression of religious beliefs was banned, today most Albanians are practicing Muslims.

Following Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina has proportionally the second largest Muslim population in Europe, with 40% of Bosnians, or 1.5 million people, who practice Islam.

In Western Europe, France is followed by the Netherlands, which has over 945,000 Muslims, making up 5% of the population.

(http://www.newstime7.com/haber/20080721/Islam-gains-momentum-after-911.php

Also visit: http://www.ottawamuslim.net/Newsarticles/feature_newmuslims.htm
(this website provides information on why some people are reverting to Islam in the West)
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 01:39 am
@firdaus,
The Jewel of Medina is published in the US. Good. Publishers in the UK are too terrified after being firebombed...by the usual gang.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 02:20 am
@firdaus,
firdaus wrote:

hmmff...did you read the article i posted? can we get past the 'do people really convert to Islam?' bit?

It doesn't matter exactly how many americans convert, just that they do...which I, my husband, and about 100 other people I personally know are evidence of. Sorry, but I've never participated in a study on the topic to give you more 'official' stats. I've tried to post statistics and articles and given my own personal account.

this demonstration of posts is the essence of what i wanted to discuss in the first place...that there's a barrier for Americans when it comes to the topic of Islam!

Maybe I wasn't clear on what I was saying in the first post...let me rephrase it. The question is, If Islam is what most people believe it to be, the anti-thesis of everything West, why would anyone from the West convert? 2nd, since people are converting, regardless of the number, Is Islam what Americans believe it to be? 3rd, why the automatic standoffishness and negativite reactions about the topic of Islam?

It we can't get past this 'proove that people really convert to Islam' barrier then this thread is futile...
#1 because they are making a gesture of rejecting westernism. Either that or they are Muslim immigrants. #2 Islam is what American Islamists believe it to be. Its kinda flexible. #3 Because Islam gets a bad press in the US.

Let me be frank here, (are you there frank?)...Islam is a myth. A story a legend about an orphaned boy who became the Praisworthy One...Mohammed. We dont actually know his birth name. Islam developed to serve as a rule book for the rapidly expanding Muslim empire. Its roots are in the Jewish Talmud, if anything it was an anti christian heretical version of Judaism.

I repeat its a myth a story...entirely fabricated by people living many generations after the time Mohammed is supposed to have lived.

The idea that the Koran is the final unchanging word of God is of course complete rubbish. Because the earliest Koranic scripts are different from the modern Koran.

Now having said all that if you want to go around believing the world is flat and 6000 years old, thats ok with me. If these daft ideas give you comfort and solace, fine, just dont expect me to take you seriously. And stay away from passing on rubbish ideas to children and gullible adults. I have no problem with Muslims per se...just bad stupid and sometimes dangerous ideas. How am I supposed to react to a person...probably a woman...dressed in a black gown from head to foot, when I know some Muslims believe they are doing God's will by detonating a bomb on the train? For them Islam provides the justification (doing god's will) and the incentive (paradise) for committing the most horrendous act of terrorism. Its the extremists that have got Islam a bad press but its Islam itself which is ultimately to blame. How many suicide bombers would there be if they sincerely believed they were destined for hell?

I'm not prejudiced against a person for his skin colour or his physical appearance or even his cultural origin. But I reserve the right to be prejudiced against someone for the bad ideas he carries around in his head. If someone wears a swastika it doesnt matter what race they are...I for one would be prejudiced against that person. I object to nazism not the race of the badge wearer. Similarly with Islam. If someone is walking around wearing inappropriate clothing to demonstrate to the rest of us their belief in a set of ideas which are nonsense at best and dangerous nonsense at worst, that person is worth avoiding imo.

0 Replies

shaikhbros

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 03:13 am
Because they have started reading quran which is the word of god and it cannot be tampered bcoz god himself has promised to protect Quran.i request u guys that if you want to know islam dont look at what muslims do but have a look at the quran since it is the true extract of all religion.
0 Replies

JoanKhanib

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 06:22 am
@firdaus,
RE: "'m curious why would so many Americans convert to Islam... what are the opinions on this matter?" I am curious to know where you get this idea from that a huge number of Americans convert to Islam.

People convert to different religions all over the place all the time. Whilst I have noticed that very few people convert to Islam, I found that according to research carried out by Pakistani-born American Muslim Dr. Ilyas Ba-Yunus, 75% of New Muslim converts in the US alone leave Islam within a few years. A huge number and not surprising either.

0 Replies

Devrico

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 04:21 am
This really isn't a difficult question to answer. The Quran is not a myth religion. It incorporates many of the major characters from the Bible and adheres to the Law given by Moses. Muslims keep the Covenant that Abraham made with God.

Aramaic, Hebrew and Arabic are different dialects of the same Semetic language. Names for God:
Aramaic= Eloi, Elah,Eloh
Hebrew= Elah,Eloh
Arabic= Alah, Allah

This is because we all pray to the God of Abraham. Hence the commonality in name.
The Laws of Islam come from the Torah or Tavrut (in Arabic) and is referred to in the Quran. The Talmud is not and only forms a part of the Jewish faith.

The reason that people are converting to Islam is because the recent events have brought the religion to the fore. Previously, people have been happy to view it as an arab religion. Now, however, people's interest have been peaked because they want to read about this "savage and barbaric, backward" religion. They must wonder that if it is as such, why does it have so many followers?

The more curious and intellectually astute members of the Western world, will find a copy of the Quran and read it. Not just listen to the vile comments made by uneducated individuals or organisations with vested interests.

What these individuals then find is a beautiful religion which when applied as it is written addresses all the needs to live a happy, fulfilled life, as an individual, family and society.
To paraphrase quickly:
"If you were to carry your mother on your back for 9 years, you could not repay her the 9 months she carried you in the womb" meaning be respectful to your mother and all women.
A muslim should not go to bed on a full stomach when he knows his neighbour goes to bed hungry.
Zakat (Charity) is mandatory in Islam. 2% of you annual earnings should go to those less fortunate.

Perhaps most astonishing to newcomers is the fact that Jesus is revered in the Quran. He is mentioned 1500 more times than Muhammed.
The Quran also has a chapter dedicated entirley to Mary, the mother of Jesus (as the Mother of the Christians God, she is barely mentioned in the New Testament).

When people read things such as this (i've not even scratched the surface), they see beyond the hype and receive Gods word and his true message.

I hope this encourages you to read the Quran for yourselves.

May Allah bless all those who follow His Path and guide those who do not.
0 Replies

aayassin

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 01:25 am
Yes. Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world and not only in America.
God almighty said in the wholly the Qur'an that Islam will spread into the four corners of the world, and into every household. You still want some proof, you got it...Select a country of your choice in any continent, and Google
"converts to Islam plus the name of country you have chosen" and there you have the proof......not yet convinced read the Qur'an and find the truth for yourself,,,,be warned, that you too may end up to be part of the statistics . Thanks for reading and peace for all humanity.
Emz876

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 02:25 am
@Ceili,
40 million jews in the US?!!! the jews all over the world range from 12 to 18 million. In the US they would be 7 million at maximum.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 08:16 am
@aayassin,
Quote:
Yes. Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world and not only in America.
God almighty said in the wholly the Qur'an that Islam will spread into the four corners of the world, and into every household. ......not yet convinced read the Qur'an and find the truth for yourself,,,,be warned, that you too may end up to be part of the statistics .
Islam is the fastest growing for many reasons :
- it has the most potent brainwashing techniques of any religion
- it some countries has a death sentence attached to conversion to any other religion
- it is very strict about inter religious marriages (it means it doesn't have a chance to dilute, and also multiplies the power of religious punishments)
- it gives many people a commonality to rail against their place in the world

Of all of those, of course the worst part about the religion is it's brainwashing techniques. Apart from those, there are other drastic problems with the religion, most noticably it's directive to violence by it's prophet - no matter what it's adherents claim, it's prophet did literally tell them to spread the word by the sword. Any many fundamentalists (not extremists, like the media has taken to using) still believe that.
0 Replies