A Music Trivia Question

Elmud

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 08:53 pm
Many years ago, about thirty or so, my mother and I, and a few of my sisters went to a nationally televised event at a huge auditorium out west. One of the guest performers put on one of the most powerful and moving performances I have ever witnessed. He sang one song that night. When he was finished, the entire audience, which was in the thousands, was brought to tears. I especially remember how emotionally touched my mother was.

That night, he went by his real name. His stage name, is different. He is a well known performer famous for his outlandish appearance and antics. He is an excellent piano player. He had many rock and roll hits back in the sixties. He also has had many guest appearances on television shows. Along with his music, he is also known for his great sense of humor.

The night we saw him sing, his appearance was of a middle age African American male, with short hair and wearing a plain black suit. He looks and sounds completely different when he is in his other role. Who is this man?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 945 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Krumple

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 10:04 pm
@Elmud,
Is it Little richard?
salima

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 12:20 am
@Elmud,
thirty years ago i dont think little richard was middle aged was he? though that was my first thought, too. and i dont recall him being known for his sense of humor or having any outlandish appearances...

time flies! little richard was young in the late fifties early sixties.

what do we mean here by middle-aged?
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 12:33 am
@Elmud,
Well Salima

Doing a little math from wiki

It says little richard was born December 5, 1932.

If we take todays date and from the clue of roughly 30 years ago, that puts it around 1980ish.

Doing the math 1980 -1932 = 48 which is nearly middle aged?

All the other clues fit... hes black, he has short hair. He has had hits in the 50s and 60s. He is very outlandish and has had many movie and tv appearances. His music still gets put into movies. He is also known for his quick wit and humor.

The fact that he says he was somber that night and didn't use his typical role would mean that he must be usually flamboyant and he typically is.

So it's still my strongest guess.
0 Replies

Elmud

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 01:00 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
Is it Little richard?
Correct.Never will forget that performance. He sounded nothing like his usual act.
0 Replies

salima

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 01:58 am
@Elmud,
so what was the song he sang?
xris

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 04:56 am
@salima,
I saw him in Hammersmith, London in the 50s..saw him did but did not hear him, there were no good amps then to overcome the cheering and the applause.Brilliant nutter.I can remember some of the fans climbed the giant curtains, singing along 15ft of the ground.
0 Replies

Elmud

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 03:45 pm
@salima,
salima wrote:
so what was the song he sang?
Cannot remember the name. An inspirational song. Mostly what I remember was my mother crying.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 03:49 pm
@Elmud,
That is a wonderful story. I have never heard of Little Richard doing such a performance.

Great guess, Krumple! LR would not have been my first, or third, or even fifth guess.
0 Replies