What bands do you like??

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 06:27 pm
I like linkin park, disturbed as well classical music of most kinds( I know diverse right lol) And on a side note I despise Rap with every fiber of my being
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 8,354 • Replies: 66
No top replies

Holiday20310401

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 06:49 pm
@OntheWindowStand,
Only one linkin park song is good. "What I've done", U2, sum 41, skillet, three days grace, nickelback, simple plan, ACDC, smashing pumpkins, green day, there's more...

And yes, rap is horrible!!!!
Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 07:01 pm
@Holiday20310401,
What's this categorical rejection of rap? Go check out The Roots and be done with your judgments. Great band - one of the best around. Musicians of immense skill, taste and vision.

I like all sorts of music. I'm a huge Robert Johnson fan, and listen to a lot of blues - Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf sort of stuff. I also dig on some jazz; Coltrane, Miles, Gillespie, Monk. As a drummer, big band jazz always captivates me. Louie Bellson and Buddy Rich are favorites.

I was born in the 80's, but I get the feeling I'm a child of the 60s. The old school funk and rhythm and blues are inspiring. Dylan, the Doors, and all the white boy blues bands - Cream, Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mack.

There isn't a genre I outright dislike. With enough whiskey, I'll jam bluegrass all night. Huge reggae fan, especially Peter Tosh and Toots and the Maytalls (well, and Marley, obviously).

I was never a big Linkin Park fan, but I can enjoy some of their tunes from time to time. Their collaboration with Jay-Z was interesting, and I like where they were going, but I'd rather throw on some 311 and really get things going.
OntheWindowStand

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 07:07 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
I under rejection of rap is a sweeping generalization... but really the only rap song I like is dance with the devil by immortal technique other than that its pretty low quality all the stuff i have heard.
Holiday20310401

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 07:10 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Laughing... wow Didymos. Unorthodox, liking rap and the blues:tounge:. I'm picky. Also, I like hoobastank, finger eleven, ....

Music on demand, free music without download | Deezer

Lincoln park isn't great, but at least tell me you like that song.

I'm listening to music right now, always do while on the philosophy forum. We should have a posting section for music playlists.
Though the bandwidth would be terrible I suppose if there was music playing from the philosophy forum site.
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 07:16 pm
@OntheWindowStand,
Rap came out of reggae dub, the battling DJs in Jamaica. This style spread to New York and the rest of the states. King Tubby, Lee Perry sort of dub and the MCs would 'battle'; like jazz musicians trade fours or eights, these guys would trade stanzas of poetry. Brilliant stuff.

For rap, I'd suggest artists like the Jurassic 5, A Tribe Called Quest, TuPac, and The Roots. Forget genre, their work is just plain good music. It's art on a level Linkin Park and Disturbed simply cannot reach.

What's odd about digging blues and rap? They come from the same place.
Doobah47

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 02:48 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Aren't you forgetting the Wu-Tang Clan 36 Chambers (I can't really remember, is that the name of the greatest hip-hop album?)

I've been listening alot to Orchestra Baobab, really uplifting sort of jazz/afro-music style.

Although I can't really enjoy alot of Bruce Springsteen, there's one song 'The Ghost of Tom Joad' which is beautiful.

How about Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon?

Aaron Neville Tell It Like It Is is quite a jolly album.

Endless names of bands and albums...
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 03:10 pm
@Doobah47,
Wu-Tang with the greatest hip-hop album? I don't know, Makaveli was pretty impressive. But, yeah, Wu-Tang Clan is a great place to look for rap.

Tom Joad - didn't Rage cover that one?

I've enjoyed all of Floyd's work. Dark Side is a classic, but Wish You Were Here is my personal favorite.

Aaron Neville is one of my favorite singers. What a voice.
Theaetetus

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 01:55 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Sonic Youth, King Crimson, the Melvins, Broken Social Scene and the members other bands, Cloud Cult, the Flaming Lips, Pearl Jam and Phish are some of my favorites. Lately I have been also listening to a ton of Secret Chiefs 3--very good Arabian surf latin rock with a splash of death metal for good measure (if you have heard of Mr. Bungle you would recognize the sound of Trey Spruance's guitar work).

The Roots are definately the best rap group out there. Other than the Roots and Deltron 3030 I have not found much good rap out there. Much rap to me is little more than a strong representation of what is wrong in American society.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 06:07 pm
@Theaetetus,
Quote:
Much rap to me is little more than a strong representation of what is wrong in American society.

A great deal of rap can be looked at as an example of what is wrong with society - but there's also a good portion of the genre that artistically address what is wrong with society and expresses the difficulties of living in that society. That's why the Roots are so good - instead of being part of the problem, they take on the problem. And that's what art is supposed to do.
0 Replies

de Silentio

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 07:50 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
I've enjoyed all of Floyd's work. Dark Side is a classic, but Wish You Were Here is my personal favorite.

Interesting, Wish You Were Here was always my favorite too, but of late I have taken a deep liking to Animals.

Pink Floyd is by far my favorite band. Maybe that's due to all the drugs I did in High School... Wait, did I say that out loud?
Theaetetus

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 08:30 pm
@de Silentio,
The all-time greatest Pink Floyd album is Meddle. They never topped the song "Fearless" in their career after that point. Not to mention the 23 1/2 minute Side B opus "Echoes" that obviously inspired both Dark Side and Wish You Were Here. Both of those albums grew out of Meddle. But "Fearless" alone highlights a Pink Floyd at the height of their experimental days before the string of concept albums. Not to mention the beauty of the Beatlesque "A Pillow of Winds" and the wonderfully exlorative journey that is "San Troupez"
de Silentio

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 08:52 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus wrote:
Not to mention the 23 1/2 minute Side B opus "Echoes" that obviously inspired both Dark Side and Wish You Were Here. Both of those albums grew out of Meddle.

Floyd is an interesting band because they evolved so much from their first to last album. They span numerous genres because of this, thus they have numerous 'greatest', depending on an individuals taste.

Regarding Meddle, yes, great album. However, I think the Live at Pompeii version of Echoes is better than the studio version. You can also see recordings of Dark Side of the Moon on the Live at Pompeii video.

To say that Dark Side and WYWH grew out of Meddle is a bit of a stretch. Floyd calmed down a lot after Meddle, I would even venture to say that Dark Side is a mix of styles that are shown in Meddle and Obscured by Clouds (which is very calm 'experimental' wise).

------- Post Edit -----------
Floyd calmed down until Waters totally took over with The Wall, then they became just insane (perhaps reflecting Waters' state of mind?!?)
----------------------------

Quote:
But "Fearless" alone highlights a Pink Floyd at the height of their experimental days before the string of concept albums.

I'm curious by your use of the word experimental in this context. Because when I think of Floyd's experimental side, I think of albums like Atom Heart Mother or Ummagumma, more psychedelic like. This is when they really started experimenting with their instruments, and Roger Waters with his synthesizer.

It seems to me like Meddle is a mix of mainstream songs and experimental songs. Fearless and San Tropez being more mainstream and Pillow of Winds, Echoes, and One of These Days being more experimental.

I also think that Floyd revolutionized the music industry with Dark Side of the Moon because the album didn't comprise singles, it was an album that told a story from start to finish. It even has a beginning, middle, and end. (The climax being Any Colour You Like)

Oh yeah, did I mention that I'm a Floyd Head?
socrato

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 09:55 pm
@de Silentio,
Wow getto community.
Theaetetus

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 10:01 pm
@socrato,
I was talking about experimental in the sense that Meddle pretty much encompasses the entire span of the Pink Floyd sound. I probably construct the concept of experimental differently than most. A collection of random jams to me seems more structured than a vast array of sounds. Not to mention comming out of Ummagumma "Fearless" is rather experimental.
FatalMuse

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 10:08 pm
@Theaetetus,
All the old blues legends; Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf
Some of the old folk-country; Woody Guthrie, Leadbelly, Jimmie Rodgers, Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan (multi-genre really)
Rock; Hendrix, Lez Zep, Black Sabbath, Cream, King Crimson, the Yardbirds, Janis Joplin, Jefferson Airplane, the Band, Rory Gallagher

Big fan of Tom Waits (don't even know what genre to put him in).

Bob Marley, New Zealand roots/reggae and a little bit of hip-hop/rap - but quite particular there.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 10:15 pm
@FatalMuse,
FatalMuse - sounds like our record collections are pretty similar.
FatalMuse

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 10:35 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Yes indeed, I saw your list on the previous page but thought it would be lazy to just quote it.
Zetetic11235

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 12:38 pm
@FatalMuse,
Schoenberg, Liszt, Later Shawn Lane, Allan Holdsworth, Captain Beefheart, Frank Zappa, charles wuorinen, stravinsky, Greg Howe, Ron Thal (Bumblefoot), Steve Vai(used to be a much bigger fan in my virtuoso rock days), Singer, U.S. Mapel.

I've been studying modern 12 tone composition lately, and Schoenberg is the father of such music if you are interested in its beggings, however, a lot of his early studies are quite shocking if you aren't familiar with the movement. If you want to check out some of what has been done since then, check out charles wuorinen . Just click on the red link on the side titled compositions.
0 Replies

Holiday20310401

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 11:09 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
What's this categorical rejection of rap?

Perhaps you'd like this song? It's not rap but the rhyming scheme is similar I feel anyways. Its a good song, when you listen deeply to the lyrics. Very good summary of humanity.

Music on demand, free music without download | Deezer