Google opens up new front in browser wars with Chrome

Theaetetus

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 04:52 pm
@Theaetetus,
They seem to have fixed Opera. I remember there being issues in the past, but I have not had any problems with it over the last couple weeks. I can actually use Firefox again, because I have installed Zone Alarm, and it has blocked that annoying program that was causing issues with my internet. I can't delete the malware, because it is hidden in my computer, and Spybot can't get rid of it.
0 Replies

jgweed

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 09:19 am
@Theaetetus,
You might want to use SuperAntispyware in addition to Spybot; it has a very good reputation. Avira is a very good free Anti-virus. If those don't get rid of it, send me a PM and I can direct you to professional, expert, and free help.
Cheers,
John
salima

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 09:30 am
@jgweed,
jgweed;78121 wrote:
You might want to use SuperAntispyware in addition to Spybot; it has a very good reputation. Avira is a very good free Anti-virus. If those don't get rid of it, send me a PM and I can direct you to professional, expert, and free help.
Cheers,
John

when i looked for 'free' avira i didnt see it, only for sale avira. but anyway, can you rate avira as compared to AVG? I need something and i want free. also i need something good because there are more viruses here from other people who never use any protective software....big problem in india.

i had mcafee but buying it again every year is pretty lame-also i have issues with it, though it beat norton by a mile. also i am told that when i use linux i wont need any antivirus software, but since avg makes a version for linux if i try it now on windows i will know later if i like it and no harm in using it.

i noticed they (AVG) had on their faq page a site to go to for complete removal of prior programs-mcafee of course was listed, but i also had another one that came with my pc, some unknown thing like evirus or comething, and i am a little worried about whether or not it has been totally removed. i hate when programs get intermixed with other things that you have to have and can never be untangled.

sorry about the long post, i thought i was only going to ask one question-it is way back in the beginning...
0 Replies

jgweed

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 09:44 am
@Theaetetus,
I have used both. Granted that AVG also, with its current release, added anti-spyware capabilities, but from what I can determine from published test results (and these have to be taken with a grain of salt), Avira's detection rate is better. It also seems to use less computer resources than the clunkier AVG.
All Anti-virus applications recommend the complete removal of any prior ones.
I will send you a PM with a link to the free version if you wish to try it out.
Cheers,
John
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 10:29 am
@Theaetetus,
Thanks JG! I just installed SuperAntispyware and it seems to have gotten rid of the crap that Spybot was not able to. My computer seems to be running perfectly again, and I can actually use search engines again.
0 Replies

salima

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 10:31 am
@Theaetetus,
what version of avg did you use? 8.5 is available now. did you personally find your computer slower with avg than avira? i was looking at some writeups about them but as you said, with a grain of salt...reading the help forums can bring something to mind, but you have to try and guess the level of sophistication of those asking the questions. as my level isnt the highest, it would be harder for me to tell...thanks for the link. i have to make up my mind in about 5 days.
0 Replies

jgweed

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 02:49 pm
@Theaetetus,
To answer your question, Salima, I did; when AVG added its anti-spyware module (which they purchased by buying out an independent company, ran for some months as an independent application, and then tacked on the their own AV modules), I noticed---at least on my computer---some sluggishness compared to the prior release. But then it was trying to do two jobs instead of one, and the "marriage" of the two modules doesn't appear as robust as it might be.
There are three things you need to consider in choosing an AV:(1) detection rate, (2) frequency (and availability) of updated definitions, and (3) ease of use. The reports I have seen put Avira above AVG in both (1) and (2); you must decide for yourself which is easier to use, and makes the best sense for your computer and how it is configured.
The best defence is a layer of security applications, beginning with a software firewall, then a good AV, and then one or two anti-spyware applications. Using a browser other than Internet Explorer (which is subject to continual new threats because of its widespread use), is also added protection.
Cheers,
John
0 Replies

salima

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 03:22 am
@Theaetetus,
i use firefox, though ie is still in there even after uninstalling and still occasionally pops up to annoy me.

so the consensus seems to be that avira is best, but that it has some popup ads trying to get you to upgrade to the paid-for version. have you had a problem with that at all?

the other thing i have is called eusing registry cleaner, do you think that will get in the way of installing and using avira? is a registry cleaner even necessary?

which brings to mind another question, do you have a favorite 'copying youtube videos to your harddrive' program that is free? the thing i have been using either doesnt always work or maybe youtube has discovered it and compensated.
0 Replies

jgweed

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 07:01 am
@Theaetetus,
My wallet does not mind the popups at all. I think it is a small annoyance for what you are getting.

I avoid registry cleaners like the plague, Salima, since they can do far more harm to your computer than the small good they can do. Unless you have a strong knowledge of how the registry works and take the time to thoroughly review any candidates for deletion, and always always back up the registry before changes, you are playing Russian Roulette when you use one to clean up your registry.

I use an Firefox add-on called "Download Helper 4.5" that works for any video file you might want, I will PM the link to you.
Cheers,
John
salima

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 09:43 am
@jgweed,
jgweed;78272 wrote:
My wallet does not mind the popups at all. I think it is a small annoyance for what you are getting.

I avoid registry cleaners like the plague, Salima, since they can do far more harm to your computer than the small good they can do. Unless you have a strong knowledge of how the registry works and take the time to thoroughly review any candidates for deletion, and always always back up the registry before changes, you are playing Russian Roulette when you use one to clean up your registry.

I use an Firefox add-on called "Download Helper 4.5" that works for any video file you might want, I will PM the link to you.
Cheers,
John

thanks for the tip, i will uninstall the registry cleaner. i dont exactly understand what you mean by your wallet not minding-if you mean for free? if that was the only difference between them i would opt fo avg. but i dont want to settle for less security or a drag on my system just to avoid popups. i have a few days left to make up my mind, but i have downloaded avira and it is ready. it is ok if i download it before i uninstall mcafee, right? as long as i dont install avira it isnt really doing anything.

i see you can also use the download helper to convert flv files to mpeg which is something i was working on.i had downloaded 52 episodes of a serial from pakistani tv for a friend and wanted to put them on a dvd so he could watch them on their television. but every time i try if i get anything at all the file is so huge it would tak ten dvd's at least. i dont want to have to add another process to shrink the files after i have already converted and created iso and then burn-i have to do everything 52 times! something new to play with, anyway...
0 Replies

jgweed

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 10:03 am
@Theaetetus,
As long as you have only one AV providing real time protection, you will not have problems; just remember that sometimes the one you are currently using will detect the virus definition files of the other and want you to delete them.
When you make the change, be sure you are off-line, then delete the old one completely and install the new one; then go online and update the virus definitions. You may have to change permissions in your firewall.
Cheers,
John
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 01:02 pm
@Theaetetus,
I would not recommend using AVG's free program at all--it totally stinks. I recently installed Avast's free anti-virus program, and it found 222 infected files (virus, trojans, worms, and root keys) that AVG has never detected.
0 Replies

salima

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 06:37 pm
@Theaetetus,
norton, which i had years ago, used to always pop up boasting that it had just saved humanity from something, and what a system hog. i was wondering if it might be that they just say things like that for the effect-i also had tried different registry cleaners where one would say it could fix 1100 items and another would say 250, something like that-as though the one was trying to justify its existence by saying it could find more mistakes and fix them. and i never saw any difference in my pc using them. i guess i have become too doubtful-and then they cap it off with saying 'buy the upgrade'

avast was another that i had come across. wont it be funny if when i install one of these three free ones they say they found umpteen gazillion viruses that my mcafee didnt? i was coming across things where you can stop the popup ads in avira by going into the registry, though i am too chicken to do that. but i took a look in my registry just for fun. there's a lot of stuff in there that i had deleted, windows things i dont use.
0 Replies

hightlow

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 01:12 am
@Theaetetus,
I am not so knowledgeable about this matter. So i have to learn it. Thanks for the post.
Thanks so much for sharing the post.
lazer before and after | free tattoo removal cream prices [/color]A tattoo removal cream is needed that would successfully get rid of your tattoos for you without costing you a lot lazer before and after | free tattoo removal cream prices [/color]
0 Replies

jgweed

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 07:28 am
@Theaetetus,
Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications; if you are not very careful and knowledgeable about your operating system, blinding deleting the files they recommend can kill your computer faster than anything I know. Obviously, always back up your registry before making any changes. I avoid registry cleaners like the plague.

Avira is another very good Anti-virus, and there is a free version (though it comes with a nag screen).

Regards,
John
0 Replies

Leonard

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 04:19 pm
@Theaetetus,
3 votes and 30 + replies? I don't understand the point of commenting without voting. I'm not a fan of google, and i'm really indifferent about chrome. Google gave me a virus (which has been eradicated), and it isn't too efficient for specific subjects. I do however like what Bing has to offer, it's a little different and I use it now.

---------- Post added 09-10-2009 at 05:22 PM ----------

As for anti-virus, I recommend Kaspersky. It's fairly simple and eliminates most things, updates often, and works efficient. I know of schools, offices, companies, and libraries that use it, so I tried it and it worked.
Justin

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 05:31 pm
@Leonard,
Leonard;89463 wrote:
3 votes and 30 + replies? I don't understand the point of commenting without voting. I'm not a fan of google, and i'm really indifferent about chrome. Google gave me a virus (which has been eradicated), and it isn't too efficient for specific subjects. I do however like what Bing has to offer, it's a little different and I use it now.

I don't think google gives viruses. I haven't used the chrome browser yet but didn't vote because I'd like to try it out first. Google does offer some great stuff though as far as collaboration.

Leonard;89463 wrote:
As for anti-virus, I recommend Kaspersky. It's fairly simple and eliminates most things, updates often, and works efficient. I know of schools, offices, companies, and libraries that use it, so I tried it and it worked.

I too have heard this to be the highest rated anti-virus. After having Norton for about 5 years, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. My next will be the Kaspersky.

JG offers some good advice and is very knowledgeable when it comes to windows based computer problems.
0 Replies

Leonard

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 07:53 pm
@Theaetetus,
Ah, I see. Maybe I should've also looked at google chrome a little more before voting.

Kaspersky is great, there aren't many problems with it and the main reasons to get it are frequent updates and powerful virus-elimination.
0 Replies