Google opens up new front in browser wars with Chrome

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 07:31 pm
Apparently, Google's new web browser is available as of Sept. 2 and it is expected to change the way in which the Internet is experienced. Considering the options out there I am going to try it and I will let anyone that cares know what I think of the application.

Quote:

Google has revealed plans today to release an innovative new open source web browser called Chrome that includes some extraordinary and unprecedented features. Google says that its new browser will move the web forward and provide a stronger platform for emerging web standards...

...One of the most impressive technical innovations that Google has brought to Chrome is a multiprocess design. Each individual browser tab runs within its own isolated process, much like the way that processes work in an operating system. This will massively increase the robustness of the browser by insulating the application from bugs that cause crashes within individual tabs. The tab will go down, but the rest of the browser will remain unaffected. The multiprocess design also reduces the impact of memory fragmentation by ensuring that the memory used by a tab can be reclaimed completely when the tab is closed.

http://media.arstechnica.com/news.media/450/screenshot48.png

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,878 • Replies: 37
No top replies

Theaetetus

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 07:09 pm
@Theaetetus,
Currently using the new browser, Google Chrome. Two quick observations. First off, javascript seems to load extremely fast without the stall outs that are typical. Second, the browser is like a Google on steroids. The address bar works as an address bar, but also search engine. It also seems to integrate bookmarks as well, but I haven't figured it out yet. Honestly so far the non stalling on javascripts makes this a worthwhile browser.
Holiday20310401

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 07:23 pm
@Theaetetus,
not compatible with CSS just if anybody is interested. I think it is pathetic actually. Fast, but Firefox is the way to go. Get firefox and google add ons and you're all set.

At least its open source.
Theaetetus

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 07:39 pm
@Holiday20310401,
I agree that Firefox is the way to go--or even Safari and Opera for that matter before Internet Explorer and Chrome. I thought I would try it out and see the future of browsers (the new version of Firefox will incorporate Chrome behind the scenes).

I would recommend Chrome for anyone that has problems with their browser stalling out on advertisements and other things on the web.
Victor Eremita

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 07:49 pm
@Theaetetus,
I'm trying Chrome now, will update with first thoughts soon.
astrotheological

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 08:01 pm
@Victor Eremita,
Firefox is definatly the way to go.
Victor Eremita

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 12:25 am
@astrotheological,
There's this interesting feature in Chrome called Task Manager that shows how each tab and browser window is using up Memory, CPU and Network Bandwith, which is pretty neat
madel

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 11:39 am
@Victor Eremita,
OoOoOOoOOoh...I'ma have to try this out. Thank you for the information. Chances are I'll stick with Firefox, but given that it's free...no reason not to try it!

Besides, it' important to remember that it's in it's first release and google isn't afraid of updating, changing, removing, adding and otherwise taking risks. I doubt this is the last we will see of Chrome.
jgweed

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 04:57 pm
@madel,
As a Beta, it is pretty barebones and simply does not yet have some of the functionality one expects from browsers after using Mozilla and Firefox, whose spellchecker and download manager are extremely useful. I also note that several security vulnerabilities already have been found in Chrome.
0 Replies

Ennui phil

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 09:05 am
@Theaetetus,
The Google Chrome had been tested by my own self and subsequently I perceive it is amateurish at its scrolling.
jgweed

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 05:34 pm
@Ennui phil,
Of those who gave Chrome a shot, how many I wonder are still using it at all.
0 Replies

salima

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 02:10 pm
@Theaetetus,
so now i read that they are creating an operating system for use on netbooks, whatever those are (technology is passing me up it is going so fast). i assume they mean for internet accessible mobile phones and those little pocket calculator sized things? supposed to be plans for the near future to become competitive with Windows.

i have been using firefox but cant say i dont have problems. then again, i am on that stupid dial-up. so hoping for updates just out of curiosity.

my big plan is to switch over to ubuntu. i am told there is no need for antivirus programs if you use linux-anybody out there on linux? i thought everyone on a forum of thinking people would have to be...i actually have had the disc with me since february but i am trying to make a smooth transition. i dont want to have both operating systems on my pc, what i would love to do is have a complete wipeout of windows-totally erase every shred of microsoft from my pc for ever.

anybody have any advice for me?
0 Replies

jgweed

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 03:18 pm
@Theaetetus,
With the release of Ff3.5, the speed gap between Chrome and Firefox has become almost a non-issue, according to the tests I have read about.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 03:27 pm
@Theaetetus,
I am really liking Firefox 3.5. There are a couple of features that have been added that I think were previously on Opera, which is not bad at all either. I am not a fan of Google Chrome at all. It seems to lack some of the functionality that I find key in a browser.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 03:34 pm
@Theaetetus,
I've been using Chrome exclusively for several months now. I love it. It's FAR faster than Explorer. I've tried Firefox a few times and I've never cared for it.
Zetherin

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 04:04 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;76706 wrote:
I've been using Chrome exclusively for several months now. I love it. It's FAR faster than Explorer. I've tried Firefox a few times and I've never cared for it.

I'm with you, Aedes. Chrome is now my new browser. It's so nicely streamlined, no BS, just fast browsing.

I can't wait for the new Google OS coming out. If it's as streamlined as Google's other products, I'm definitely going to click install.

salima wrote:
so now i read that they are creating an operating system for use on netbooks, whatever those are (technology is passing me up it is going so fast). i assume they mean for internet accessible mobile phones and those little pocket calculator sized things? supposed to be plans for the near future to become competitive with Windows.

The operating system they're creating is not just for netbooks, it's for every type of computer. Netbooks are simply smaller laptops that are really only good for browsing the, you guessed it, net. If they're recommending their operating system for netbooks, it's probably because their operating system won't have the initial support (for programs, games, etc.) that Mac and Win currently have. It's probably going to be a fast, sleek OS primarily used by those that wish to browse the net or perform other simple processes.

EDIT: Google Chrome OS: Web Platform To Rule Them All -- InformationWeek

There are other reasons for them targeting netbooks. The OS is supposed to be very simple: Google Chrome running within a new windowing system on top of a Linux kernel. So, even though it does support x86 architectures, there's probably no point putting this OS on a giant gaming PC or something similar.
0 Replies

salima

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 08:38 pm
@Theaetetus,
thanks for the link, zeth-i will probably switch to linux since it has been around awhile.

i have been really impressed with the open source and freeware i have found, and plan to use it whenever possible. (part of my utopian future dreams). i replaced miscrosoft's word processing programs with Star Office and am completely satisfied.

i dont think it is an issue of microsoft being the best is why it has 90% of the market-i think it is because of people not wanting to try something new-theye go for the devil they know instead of the one they dont.

i remember my father had a small no-name hamburger franchise when i was a teen-ager. his food was really really good and he had a good business running until McD opened up nearby. he had an 8 or 9 month headstart, but still the customers ran over to McD and he finally gave up and quit.

it's a microsoft and mickey d world out there...
0 Replies

jgweed

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 07:12 pm
@Theaetetus,
And now the War of the Web is really on! Microsoft intends to provide a free version of its Office suite online to match Googledocs, Google is working on an operating system, and MS recently launched a new search engine.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 09:37 pm
@Theaetetus,
..and I now use Opera. I have some sort of virus/malware that only effects Firefox, and the searches I do on the internet within. Opera is a very nice browser, that I have noticed has influence Firefox immensely with their new 3.5 version.
0 Replies

salima

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 12:30 am
@Theaetetus,
i downloaded opera once but it didnt work out for me, dont remember what version it was. it had serious problems, like crashed the whole pc. but i notice a lot of problems within firefox and dont know if it is them or something else. like hanging up, and 'cant find the page' error. being on dialup also makes it hard to determine what is a problem in my machine and what is a problem of speed and my isp server connection. i have mcafee so i assume i am ok as far as virus and malware.

i would be willing to try google's chrome, but i am also hoping to go to linux soon. if i manage to make the switch and find it isnt all that good for me, i would be interested in google. anything but ms..........
0 Replies