what's your favorite ad.,can you describe it to us?

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 07:45 am
I like the one where the woman has this tremendous headache and her face is contorted with pain. The next shot you see her taking a bottle of aspirin out of the cupboard.

The commercial ends with her in the garden, a smile on her face, butterflies filling the air, a soft breeze causing the flowers to dance.

It really is a beautiful ending.

I cry every time I see it.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 07:59 am
Labatt Blue did a bunch of funny commercials about 'anything can happen out of the blue', one involving a group of businessmen having a spontaneous hockey game in the street after work. However, it was much funnier parodied on This Hour Has 22 Minutes when Rick Mercer pulls a curling rock out of his briefcase, and a street curling match starts. I guess you have to be Canadian...
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 08:07 am
Curling. I've heard somewhere that curling athletes are the best conditioned in the world. Is that true, or is that just a stupid rumor started by the Canadians?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 08:14 am
gustav, I suspect it's a rumour. Watch 'Men With Brooms', our best documentary on the subject of curling.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 01:19 pm
Like Blue Monkey, I think those identity theft ads are hilarious.

The stringy cheese pizza kid was for Little Ceasars Pizza - they had a whole slew of funny ads.

There was a local ad here for a radio station that was done like a Tampax ad - that was a scream.

The ads that really get to me are the public service announcements where they show old home movies of people with the date they were killed by drunk drivers. Powerful stuff, those ads.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 01:27 pm
I love beer ads that imply that cute women adore men who drink a particular kind of beer. They're so compelling. Or that good clean coed fun is inevitable as long as everyone is drinking a lot. And take it from someone who goes to the pub several nights a week--it's all true!

The AFLAC ads are pretty good, too...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 01:50 pm
Oh my yes. Drinking IS so glamorous! Better living through fermentation, I always say.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 01:55 pm
Indeed. Through distilling, too...
0 Replies

Cinderwolf

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 07:23 pm
That labatt parody is one of the best skits i have ever seen! Just about choked first time i saw it. but i think youd have to be canadian to get it.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 07:35 pm
I like the ad with Snoop Dogg for girls gone wild....doggy style
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 09:35 pm
Covered it on another thread, Bear.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 01:40 am
I think it was last year that Pampers ran an ad I loved. It showed baby animals and their mothers. Just that. And Rod Stewart was singing Forever Young. No talking. Just mother and baby animals and Rod Stewart. I liked that commercial so much that I tried to figure out when and where it would be running so that I could see it over and over again.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 05:45 am
I remember that one Roberta. That was very cute :-D
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 09:45 pm
Resurrected this thread because right now CitiCard has this great series of commercials running for their identity theft program and the favorite is the black guy on the weight bench with the voice and mannerisms of the young white girl singing, "Unbreak my heart, say you love me again..." It's hysterical.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 09:55 pm
<snork>, makes me wish for a tv..

I suppose my alltime favorite commercial is the one I can still hear from the fifties, saying "it's a Foooooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrddddddddddddddd!
(wonder if Feiffer had anything to do with that? I almost remember that he did.)

Well, I have sharper images of commercials in my memory since then, but that one is buried in my brain, clogging up my commercial artery.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 10:37 pm
so, stanford person, what is your background for asking this question?
0 Replies

blink me

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 03:03 am
I remember when I was about 5 my Mom taped Pinochio for me and me and my friend Stephen watched the other day just for a laugh to like make fun of it and there was obviously commercials in between and old coms are so hilarious. There was an old Rice Krispies com on there and Snap Crackle and Pop were Superheroes!!! aMAZING HaHa.
^_^
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 03:12 am
Hands down the greatest commercial ever made. I saw it fresh during the '85 Super Bowl and saw the best thing up to then on TV in that minute except for Neil Armstrong standing on the Moon.

Apple's introduction of the Mac via George Orwell imagery.

You had to have seen it fresh to grasp the emotion of the paradigm shift it provided when it ended.

Text of "1984"

"Today, we celebrate the first glorious anniversary of the Information Purification Directives. We have created, for the first time in all history, a garden of pure ideology. Where each worker may bloom secure from the pests of contradictory and confusing truths. Our Unification of Thoughts is more powerful a weapon than any fleet or army on earth. We are one people, with one will, one resolve, one cause. Our enemies shall talk themselves to death and we will bury them with their own confusion. We shall prevail!"

http://www.uriahcarpenter.info/1984.html

http://www.uiowa.edu/~commstud/adclass/1984_mac_ad.html#5

Quote:
The half-time of the 1984 Super Bowl featured a 45 second ad that would be declared in 1995 the best ad of the last 50 years5. The commercial, directed by Ridley Scott (Alien, 1979, and Blade Runner, 1982) for the Apple Corporation, announced the imminent arrival of the Macintosh computer. The ad cost $1.6 million to produce, and Apple Corporation paid $500,000 for the one-minute time slot in which it ran. It ran only once.

The commercial is elegant, filmic, and a powerful cinematic narrative. It contains allusions to legendary films and cultural myths, and sets in place a trajectory involving issues of balance between the organic and inorganic, between nature and culture that I follow until 1995.

As the ad begins, excess is very much in evidence. The hall is monumental, the line of marchers/workers appears endless. The air is thick with smog , a bluish-gray haze overlaying everything, reminiscent of Scott's vision of the future Los Angeles in Blade Runner; the pallor and sickliness of the workers are accentuated. The scenario invokes the George Orwell novel, 1984; a Big Brother figure ceaselessly intones the slogans of Newspeak, while the public masses appear automatized by the rigidly controlled totalitarian.

http://www.uiowa.edu/~commstud/adclass/1984.apple_ad.mov

read on here: http://www.uiowa.edu/~commstud/adclass/1984_mac_ad.html#5
0 Replies

finalspike

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 10:26 am
Sorta Ad, Sorta Not...
I saw a clip of what seems like a TV ad, but it isn't, really. It's about this puppet putting sunscreen on a girl's shoulder and back to protect from sunburn. I think the only thing I got out of this clip is that because glbal warming is becoming more serious, sunscreen is more essential and more important that ever before. But why Fash, the puppet? check it out here: http://sunscreen.heyfash.com
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 11:15 am
I like the Ikea commercial with the middle-aged woman, about 45, browsing the catalogue, looking at the children's bedroom furniture and then says to her husband, "Honey, let's have another baby," and he slowly looks up at her as if she'd lost her mind. The tagline is "Ikea puts all kinds of ideas in your head" or something like that. It's cute.
0 Replies