References from bankrupt companies.

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 11:35 am
Hi all,
The company I worked for as piano teacher for two years went 'bankrupt' in January, robbing me of £1200 (basically I'm not sure what happened, but I think my boss fucked off- literally disappeared off the face of the planet- with a load of money, and there was nothing I could do). Anyway, I'm kind of over it, but I'm pretty sure that I deserve to write myself a glowing reference for my woes. My question is, how do I do that when I don't have any of the contact details for my boss anymore? I don't really know what written references look like, but I still have the headed paper so I can make it look official and stuff.
Thank you, pq x

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 11:38 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
Don't write yourself a reference, references only have as much value as the person making the reference gives and a reference that doesn't check out may be worse than no reference at all.
jespah

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 12:13 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Agreed. Never do this.

Is there anyone you worked with? Clients, anyone? References need not be from your boss. Explain to potential employers that the company is no longer in existence and you have lost touch with your boss. Say nothing else.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 01:37 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
Write down what you taught.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 12:16 pm
Yeah...
I forgot to say he said he'd sign anything that I wrote about myself, it's just he's disappeared of the face of the planet.
Maybe I should just write what I've done like you suggest.
Linkat

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 11:08 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
Most potential employers will request a contact name and number. If you cannot provide that, then something you wrote and signed with no way for the employer to contact will basically be crap to them.

Like some one else said, I'd look for either another individual you worked with and/or client for a reference.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 03:25 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
You should do three levels or pages. You must make the best of a bad situation.
1 Do a Resume with your degree. Companies and experience such as company names and what you did like teaching piano. Don't mention bankruptcy or anything.
2. Write down a list of students and the company crook.
3. Write the reason for reference from employer.

1. Employers usually never proceed to step 2 until interview time.
2. At the interview they MIGHT ask for students names not likely. You are not a criminal so relax so they are not going to nosey around all the foul deeds in your life.
3. They might ask why there is no refernce letter so you mention that he absconded with your money.
0 Replies