Should Virgin be Redefined?

tycoon

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 04:58 pm
Here's a link to a move by the USDA (United States Agricultural Department) to attempt making olive oil labeling more honest.

I'm in agreement with this policy. I think the U.S. has become the dumping grounds for sub-par oil, and this new policy would simply bring us more in line with international standards.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100604/ap_on_bi_ge/us_olive_oil_standards
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 4,207 • Replies: 6
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 05:01 pm
That's a positive developement.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 07:22 pm
@tycoon,
I don't consider the stuff at my store relative to olive oil in Lucca (where I've been). I figure I'd be glad if there is some regulation. But, then, of course, I couldn't afford olive oil.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 07:32 pm
I figure that anyone who really cares about getting the good stuff is already buying European imports which are a known quality and provenance. Yes the USDA can do a better job here, but since they have so much trouble doing anything right I would prefer that they spend what ever attention and skill they can muster on making ground beef safe. After that they can work on getting whole chickens to stop being 10% added water. That should be plenty of work to keep everyone at USDA busy till 2014.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 08:08 pm
@hawkeye10,
Yes to all that.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 05:43 pm
@ossobuco,
Amen.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 06:53 pm
Even though I'm usually not satisfyed with how things are here in Denmark, we have ..I think the worlds highest food safety and hygene standards.

EU often tried to comprimise our high standards to make everything more streamlined, which we fiercely refuse.

If a restaurent has been sloppy with the hygene it often hits national news.
0 Replies