When does religion become insanity?

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 05:34 am
Seriously, at what point does believing in a god become just plain old crazy. Because I think of those christian miracle healers and that just seems really strange. But praying to a god isn't?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,874 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Francis

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 06:34 am
@calebburke,
Religion becomes an insanity when :

- It quits the private domain.

- A religious person tries to impose his/her beliefs on others.

- Someone starts proselytizing.

- Someone quotes the religious fairy books as if they were the word of god.

- Someone utters crap as: This is what god says.

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 07:21 am
@calebburke,
calebburke wrote:
Seriously, at what point does believing in a god become just plain old crazy. Because I think of those christian miracle healers and that just seems really strange. But praying to a god isn't?

I think it becomes insanity when it requires you to believe things which are in direct conflict with empirical reality. ie, if your religion requires that you believe the earth is flat, and you do, even though all evidence is to the contrary, then you've lost it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 07:40 am
What Francis said.

VoilĂ  l'astuce.
0 Replies

calebburke

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 07:39 pm
Yes i see what you mean
0 Replies

oolongteasup

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 11:21 pm
@calebburke,
Quote:
When does religion become insanity?

when you're born again, reincarnated or resurrected

oh, and when you respond to folderol on this topic
roger

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 12:01 am
@oolongteasup,
Yer nutty as a fruitcake.
mismi

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 12:27 am
@roger,
Roger - I think you're swell. Smile

Really - trying to persuade anyone to believe in anything these days is useless. Everyone knows everything already.

Religion becomes insane when the basis for the person claiming to be religious is to be right, or to claim superiority because of their salvation.

I have never loved the faith healers. I had a fellow I would drive to his job once a week. He asked me to take him to a Benny Hinn (or however you spell that man's name) revival. Poor fellow had been in a car wreck when he was a child - he could not walk well and one of his arms were drawn up. He could not speak clearly and desperately wanted to be normal and have a girlfriend. Sweet boy was only 17 years old. I took him - after many warnings and pleas to not trust in the charlatan. He got in line, they pulled him when he got toward the front and put him in the back. Nauseating. Truly.

I believe in God. But I never claim to understand his ways. They are indeed higher than mine. But Jesus - he loved folks well. I get that.
0 Replies

Revelations

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2013 07:34 pm
@calebburke,
take it from a dying man it is so real!
0 Replies