The Confederacy was About Slavery

farmerman

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2015 08:21 pm
@hawkeye10,
excellent, you see the entire point about the use of the term "Exclusive".
Anus has stated that the word slavery was mentioned in the Constitution(which it isnt) and implied that it was an institution for the (EXCLUSIVE) rights of whites).
Since most slaves were used in the agricultural pursuits where large acreage was needed to be tended and machinery was not yet available. I would say that probably 90% of slaves were employed in farming. Of course some slaves were used in whaling , some industries and some were used as domestics. But those numbers were a small minority. If you have evidence to the contrary, please present it. It really doesnt matter to anything Im saying (MY points were only what the CONSTITUTION did, or did not include regarding slavery)
Ionus

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2015 08:27 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Anus has stated that the word slavery was mentioned in the Constitution(which it isnt) and implied that it was an institution for the (EXCLUSIVE) rights of whites).
Absolute drunken ravings . This is what I said :
Quote:
slavery is mentioned in the constitution as the right of the whites of the new USA
I even gave you the definition of the word "mentioned" . Why is everything so hard at your age ?
NSFW (view)
DrewDad

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2015 12:08 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
far superior more powerful civilization.

FTFY
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2015 01:24 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Hes our own ANUS, the fuckin weenie liar who was probably some quartermaster staff sergeant

Name calling and a stereotype thrown in for good measure. Bigot!http://www.alien-earth.com/images/smileys/wine.gif
farmerman

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2015 01:27 pm
@coldjoint,
Lessee. Im "Gomer the Turd" and Im an old drunk (so says that bard of A2K). Why not give him **** ??
Thats ok though, you cn fellate him all you wish, youre PINKY the Putz
Below viewing threshold (view)
snood

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2015 02:45 pm
Is there some dishonor I don't know about in being a quartermaster staff sergeant?
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2015 02:21 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
I have only ever seen a holier than thou attitude by underachievers

I think you are on to something.....when I see someone yakking about their entitlement almost always they turn out to not have confidence that they can go out and get what they want on their merits/ability.
Foofie

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2015 09:02 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
I have only ever seen a holier than thou attitude by underachievers

I think you are on to something.....when I see someone yakking about their entitlement almost always they turn out to not have confidence that they can go out and get what they want on their merits/ability.

Ah yes, the progressive gospel vs. the conservative gospel.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2015 01:59 pm
@snood,
Its a family thing , and its an attempt at humor which, in most cases, seems surprisingly absent in these "history" threads. My dad, in later life" was the head nut in running the freight traffic for a lrge E C Railroad (It was called a trainmaster).
In WWII, he was a sgt major in Burma. He was responsible for all kinds of supplies, treats, and entertainment for the boys being slaughtered.
As he told me when I was a kid."I joined the quartermaster figuring that,"who'd wanna kill a cook or shoot up a truck load of chewing gum". Needless to say, In Burma it was not a very quiet duty. He earned several "piieces of colored ribbon" and three hearts, for combat that he figured he was going to remain entirely safe from.

My Dad always lectured me with a good degree of knowledge to;"Make sure youve got a whole bunch of backup plans for whatever hand your dealt or dealing" OR,
Things never turn out as we plan.

To the day they died, my folks always figured I was a loser ( to them a college teacher was still only a damned teacher because I had to have summer jobs "to make ends meet" {I was busy setting up two companies}.
However, as comfortable as we are, we would give it all to have our daughter still alive.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 07:28 am
This article by a writer for Mother Jones is a daughter of the South making a case for separating the south from the confederacy once and for all.

http://www.motherjones.com/mixed-media/2015/08/nathan-bedford-forrest-statue-memphis

an excerpt:
"There are people I've known my whole life who are fiercely protective of the Confederacy and its symbols. They mean well when they speak of heritage and honor, but their pride comes at the expense of those who have suffered far worse than we ever have. Their refusal to recognize that perpetuates a racism that is so insidious that it is confused with cultural values."
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 07:34 am
@snood,
We certainly see a lot more "speaking up" from southern men and women about things a previous generation would never have spoken...or accepted.

I hope, and think, we are moving in the right direction.

Humanity as a whole has to start moving "in the right direction."
farmerman

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 01:18 pm
@Frank Apisa,
THis thing still going on?
A few weeks before the South began the CIVIL WAR, Alexander Stephens (Vice President of the confederacy) delivered this speech which became known as the "Cornerstone Speech". In it he verbalized the "differenceds between the Confederacy and the Union based upon each's Constitutions). In the mid point of the speech Stephens said this:

Quote:

But not to be tedious in enumerating the numerous changes for the better, allow me to allude to one other though last, not least. The new constitution has put at rest, forever, all the agitating questions relating to our peculiar institution African slavery as it exists amongst us the proper status of the negro in our form of civilization. This was the immediate cause of the late rupture and present revolution. Jefferson in his forecast, had anticipated this, as the “rock upon which the old Union would split.” He was right. What was conjecture with him, is now a realized fact. But whether he fully comprehended the great truth upon which that rock stood and stands, may be doubted. The prevailing ideas entertained by him and most of the leading statesmen at the time of the formation of the old constitution, were that the enslavement of the African was in violation of the laws of nature; that it was wrong in principle, socially, morally, and politically. It was an evil they knew not well how to deal with, but the general opinion of the men of that day was that, somehow or other in the order of Providence, the institution would be evanescent and pass away. This idea, though not incorporated in the constitution, was the prevailing idea at that time. The constitution, it is true, secured every essential guarantee to the institution while it should last, and hence no argument can be justly urged against the constitutional guarantees thus secured, because of the common sentiment of the day. Those ideas, however, were fundamentally wrong. They rested upon the assumption of the equality of races. This was an error. It was a sandy foundation, and the government built upon it fell when the “storm came and the wind blew.”

Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth. This truth has been slow in the process of its development, like all other truths in the various departments of science. It has been so even amongst us. Many who hear me, perhaps, can recollect well, that this truth was not generally admitted, even within their day. The errors of the past generation still clung to many as late as twenty years ago. Those at the North, who still cling to these errors, with a zeal above knowledge, we justly denominate fanatics. All fanaticism springs from an aberration of the mind from a defect in reasoning. It is a species of insanity. One of the most striking characteristics of insanity, in many instances, is forming correct conclusions from fancied or erroneous premises; so with the anti-slavery fanatics. Their conclusions are right if their premises were. They assume that the negro is equal, and hence conclude that he is entitled to equal privileges and rights with the white man. If their premises were correct, their conclusions would be logical and just but their premise being wrong, their whole argument fails. I recollect once of having heard a gentleman from one of the northern States, of great power and ability, announce in the House of Representatives, with imposing effect, that we of the South would be compelled, ultimately, to yield upon this subject of slavery, that it was as impossible to war successfully against a principle in politics, as it was in physics or mechanics. That the principle would ultimately prevail. That we, in maintaining slavery as it exists with us, were warring against a principle, a principle founded in nature, the principle of the equality of men. The reply I made to him was, that upon his own grounds, we should, ultimately, succeed, and that he and his associates, in this crusade against our institutions, would ultimately fail. The truth announced, that it was as impossible to war successfully against a principle in politics as it was in physics and mechanics, I admitted; but told him that it was he, and those acting with him, who were warring against a principle. They were attempting to make things equal which the Creator had made unequal.

In the conflict thus far, success has been on our side, complete throughout the length and breadth of the Confederate States. It is upon this, as I have stated, our social fabric is firmly planted; and I cannot permit myself to doubt the ultimate success of a full recognition of this principle throughout the civilized and enlightened world.

As I have stated, the truth of this principle may be slow in development, as all truths are and ever have been, in the various branches of science. It was so with the principles announced by Galileo it was so with Adam Smith and his principles of political economy. It was so with Harvey, and his theory of the circulation of the blood. It is stated that not a single one of the medical profession, living at the time of the announcement of the truths made by him, admitted them. Now, they are universally acknowledged. May we not, therefore, look with confidence to the ultimate universal acknowledgment of the truths upon which our system rests? It is the first government ever instituted upon the principles in strict conformity to nature, and the ordination of Providence, in furnishing the materials of human society. Many governments have been founded upon the principle of the subordination and serfdom of certain classes of the same race; such were and are in violation of the laws of nature. Our system commits no such violation of nature’s laws. With us, all of the white race, however high or low, rich or poor, are equal in the eye of the law. Not so with the negro. Subordination is his place. He, by nature, or by the curse against Canaan, is fitted for that condition which he occupies in our system. The architect, in the construction of buildings, lays the foundation with the proper material-the granite; then comes the brick or the marble. The substratum of our society is made of the material fitted by nature for it, and by experience we know that it is best, not only for the superior, but for the inferior race, that it should be so. It is, indeed, in conformity with the ordinance of the Creator. It is not for us to inquire into the wisdom of His ordinances, or to question them. For His own purposes, He has made one race to differ from another, as He has made “one star to differ from another star in glory.” The great objects of humanity are best attained when there is conformity to His laws and decrees, in the formation of governments as well as in all things else. Our confederacy is founded upon principles in strict conformity with these laws. This stone which was rejected by the first builders “is become the chief of the corner” the real “corner-stone” in our new edifice. I have been asked, what of the future? It has been apprehended by some that we would have arrayed against us the civilized world. I care not who or how many they may be against us, when we stand upon the eternal principles of truth, if we are true to ourselves and the principles for which we contend, we are obliged to, and must triumph.

Thousands of people who begin to understand these truths are not yet completely out of the shell; they do not see them in their length and breadth. We hear much of the civilization and Christianization of the barbarous tribes of Africa. In my judgment, those ends will never be attained, but by first teaching them the lesson taught to Adam, that “in the sweat of his brow he should eat his bread,” and teaching them to work, and feed, and clothe themselves.

0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 03:14 pm
Quote:

In my estimation, discussions like this thread will be relevant for at least as long as people keep trying to make Dixie rise again.
Foofie

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2015 07:55 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

Quote:

In my estimation, discussions like this thread will be relevant for at least as long as people keep trying to make Dixie rise again.

From a sociological point of view, one can argue that both the culture in the the anti-Bellum South, and the inner-city street culture, both reflect a culture of "honor."

So, "my honor was 'disrespected' resulted in dueling pistols at dawn on court house steps, in the anti-Bellum South, and "he 'dissed' me has resulted in violence in the inner-city youth culture.

So, the Black culture that many Blacks feel ameliorates living in a white culture at work, etc., can be argued to be a Southern white culture that was imported into Northern white cities.

Years ago I believed the phrase "where you at" was just Black English. Only when I saw a movie reflecting Southern whites in a Tobacco Road existence did I realize that "where you at" is just Southern lingo. So, can I conclude that the Black U.S. inner-city culture is just a somewhat similar rendition of an older poorer white Southern culture in some ways?
HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2015 08:13 am
@snood,
Fly whatever flag ya want. Confederate, Nazi, ISIL, Communist, you're th eone who has to deal with counter-protest bricks through your window. Smile

Rather know who people who would have such things are by encouraging them to display them than have lots of ISIL supporters I'm unaware of.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2015 09:19 am
@Foofie,
"honor", and an entire system of government that is based upon an assumed subservient and subhuman status of others has no logic with which to even justify its being. So why try ?