The Confederacy was About Slavery

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 10:00 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

snood wrote:

Hey A2Kers-who-are-not -slavery-deniers,

I think it may be that the APA needs to look into adding a new disorder into the DSM.

I'm serious. Look at the impenetrable dissonance; the venomous acrimony...

I think that for some, the exquisite pain of waking up, day in and day out, in a world that has a black man as POTUS and a black family living in the White House, has actually caused emotional dysfunction in some of our dear brethern.

Maybe they could call it Obama Adjustment Disorder.

Whether you are joking or not, I believe this is a real thing, and it's what drives the majority of the acrimony against him; the unceasing attempt to prove that he is 'other,' not a 'real American.' It infests the minds of the right-wing posters here and in our larger discourse.

The funny thing is that they believe that we are all fooled, that we can't tell what is going on. Like we haven't lived with them our whole lives. I'm from the South and I know exactly what people are doing, with their dog-whistles and code phrases. I know exactly who they are trying to appeal to and what their message is. And when these guys think you're not listening, they don't even bother hiding it. I have had a couple of hairy moments over the last few years when I had to directly confront people regarding their racist attitudes towards the prez...

Cycloptichorn

It is wide spread and will never end.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 10:05 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
You just said it again you moron ! He didnt have conscription for the army in 1815 . He relied on the King's army and volunteers .

Well, your Latin isn't god as you said. Your French seems to be worse as well.

In France of those days, conscription was regulated by the Loi "Jourdan" du 19 fructidor an VI .
[«Tout Français est soldat et se doit à la défense de la patrie » - "All the French, both sexes, all ages are called by the nation to defend liberty" as Barere put it. "Levée en masse" became the origin for conscription in all countries.

Napoleon changed the 'Jourdan' in 1802. That law allowed now those who could afford it to buy a replacement for their son(s).
And then he changed again in 1804 (introducing a kind of "lottery").

However, in the "occupied countries", the conscription was strictly following the 'Jourdan'.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 10:20 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

It is wide spread and will never end.

I don't believe that. Things have gotten better during my lifetime, and I see them continuing to improve.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 10:20 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

However, in the "occupied countries", the conscription was strictly following the 'Jourdan'.

Okay, my bad: I really had better looked it up.
In some parts, like the Dukedom Berg, you could buy someone (like in France) who did your conscription.
In others (example here the Kingdom of Westphalia), only students of theology and theological seminarists couldn't be conscripted.

Sources: Decret by Joachim-Napoléon Murat (Marshal of France and Grand Admiral or Admiral of France, 1st Prince Murat, Grand Duke of Berg) 1806/7, published in Scotti, J[ohann] J[osef]: Sammlung der Gesetze und Verordnungen, welche in den ehemaligen Herzogthümern Jülich, Cleve und Berg und in dem vormaligen Großherzogthum Berg über Gegenstände der Landeshoheit, Verfassung, Verwaltung und Rechtspflege ergangen sind, 1820/1

Bulletin des lois et décrets du Royaume de Westphalie (1807)
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 10:21 am
@snood,
Quote:
The Confederacy was About Slavery

Not just slavery: the demoKKKrat party too. Two great evils for the price of one so to speak...
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 10:31 am
@gungasnake,
gunga, It's funny how you conservatives seem to miss the irony from 150 years ago to today. Lincoln was against "slavery" of any kind. The GOP wants to destroy unions.

Probably too spacial for you to comprehend.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 10:44 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

Not just slavery: the demoKKKrat party too. Two great evils for the price of one so to speak...

Alexander Stephens wrote:
Our new Government is founded upon exactly the opposite ideas; its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and normal condition
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 11:40 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Good post, Walter. For all of Mr Stephens' learning, he was still a bigot. White is the superior race, and blacks are not equal to the white man?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 12:19 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I was joking, Cyclo, but only half so. I hear what you're saying about the barely-restrained raw racism. Imagine dark-skinned, six foot seven inch me and my white wife living in basically rural Louisiana. I don't even think some of these folks realize how hard they stare.
Look at some of the leering, drooling remarks made here about me being half Filipino.
It's not very difficult at all too imagine how distressed these people get when they are confronted with a black man who holds the most powerful office on earth, and not only that, but who is also a fiercely intelligent family man to whom they've not been able (though notfrom lack of trying) to attach any scandal. Ooh, it has to HURT.
ABE5177

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 02:55 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Imagine dark-skinned, six foot seven inch me and my white wife living in basically rural Louisiana.

y'all out to lunch conspiritng how to hang ionus high?
i'm not going to stand for it he black or white i don't care
no lynch parties
yo

obama is kenyan you bastard filipino on druges? neither of you has a say on any confedrarc y history

i'm an old man and ill die soon but ehe flags of my ancestors will be treated with respect as long as theree's a U S of A.

git, bro.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 02:58 pm
@ABE5177,
Quote:

i'm an old man and ill die soon but ehe flags of my ancestors will be treated with respect as long as theree's a U S of A.

Not really. Because the vast majority of historians, like myself, are Liberal; and soon our version of events is all that will remain.

Feel free to, as the kids are wont to say, suck on that one for a while.

Cycloptichorn
farmerman

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 03:19 pm
@ABE5177,
Quote:
y'all out to lunch conspiritng how to hang ionus high?
i'm not going to stand for it he black or white i don't care
ANUS doesnt need your help. Hes doing a good enough job hangin hisself up for all to see.

Thanks for your concern .
farmerman

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 03:21 pm
@ABE5177,
Quote:
obama is kenyan you bastard filipino on druges? neither of you has a say on any confedrarc y history

I just had to isolate that sentence so that we may all bask in the spirit of brotherhood that you invest (or is it infest?) in this thread.

You are a great Merkin.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 03:27 pm
@farmerman,
Thank you, I may need that as an anti-signature.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 04:47 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Apart from posturing, what exactly are you trying to do ? How does that contradict anything ?
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 04:50 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
soon our version of events is all that will remain.
Ah yes, the **** intelligence we'll out breed them strategy.....should work...it is your only hope after all.....
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 04:51 pm
This thread would make a great TV series. It has a great cast of characters, bringing pathos, humor, lies, boasting, straight men, shills, all intermingled with a core of facts no sane person could disavow.
Ionus

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 04:53 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
ANUS doesnt need your help. Hes doing a good enough job hangin hisself up for all to see.
Posted any documents with the word slavery in it lately ? You know if you totally lack intelligence then just seeing the word is probably very convincing . How do you go at stop signs ?

Gomer the Turd must seek help.....
for alcoholism, an inferiority complex, delusions of grandeur, xenophobia, racism, etc...
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 04:55 pm
@farmerman,
So if you dont like snood you are a racist ? What if we dont like you, Gomer the Turd ? Apart from being discerning, does that make us a racists too ? Perhaps we are black and dont like you whities .....

Gomer the Turd must seek help.....
for alcoholism, an inferiority complex, delusions of grandeur, xenophobia, racism, etc...
Ionus

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 04:56 pm
@edgarblythe,
You left out you doing the voice over and like in the silent movie days telling everyone who you think is the villain.
0 Replies