Don't Ask, Don't Tell.

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 06:59 pm
I am surprised that this isn't being talked about on any recent A2K thread. The Dems want to repeal the ban on openly gay people from serving in the military.
The Dem controlled House passed a bill to that effect with some dozen Dems voting no but a half dozen Repubs voting yes.
The military brass is scheduled to come out with an opinion on the issue by December 1st. That would be after the November election, in which the Dems may lose seats.
The language of the Dem bill seems to be that "Don't ask, don't tell" doesn't take affect unless the military concludes that they are okay with the concept.

That is my obviously shallow understanding of this issue. I hope that someone here can volunteer to cover this for us on A2K.
My plate is full right now writing about the Senate races.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,280 • Replies: 3
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 07:08 pm
@realjohnboy,
Such as rulebound situation needing be to let go of, with such a homophobic population in the forces.

I'll take it as a start.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 07:21 pm
@realjohnboy,
Many generals and command officers already stated they want the policy repealed.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/11/17/dont.ask.dont.tell/index.html
They've been saying so for quite awhile. I believe Senator McCain even wanted to have the policy repealed at one time before he double backed on his own words.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/02/AR2010020202588.html
hamburgboy

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 07:35 pm
@tsarstepan,
and this from barry goldwater :

Quote:
( he ) criticized the military's ban on homosexuals:[38] "Everyone knows that gays have served honorably in the military since at least the time of Julius Caesar."[44] He also said, "You don't have to be straight to be in the military; you just have to be able to shoot straight."
0 Replies