Hurricane Season 2010

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 04:45 pm
@JPB,
Wow! I didn't see the projection that Matt might make a sharp northward turn after hitting Guatemala and the Yucatan. That could put it back into the Gulf.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 04:48 pm
@realjohnboy,
Doesn't look to be a happy story there.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 06:40 pm
It may not amount to anything (hope not), but there is a storm below Cuba and east of the Yucatan. It is not well organized but it is moving north or even northeast. That is, in my mind, an unusual path.
JPB

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 06:59 pm
@realjohnboy,
From this morning...

Quote:
In the Western Caribbean, a few hundred miles east of Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula, a region of concentrated thunderstorms has built this morning, and has the potential to develop into a tropical depression by Wednesday. A large trough of low pressure over the Eastern U.S. is producing steering currents that will pull this area of disturbed weather to the north-northeast across western Cuba on Tuesday and Wednesday. The disturbance should move over Florida on Wednesday and Thursday, and over North Carolina by Thursday and Friday. All of these regions can expect very heavy rains from the disturbance, and NHC is giving a 30% chance that the disturbance will develop into a tropical depression by Wednesday. The Hurricane Hunters are on call to investigate the disturbance this afternoon, if necessary.

panzade

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 11:10 am
@JPB,
Announcing Tropical Storm Nicole...

The rain has started already.

Quote:
A tropical storm warning was in effect for areas south of the Jupiter Inlet to the Florida Keys. A tropical storm watch was issued from north of Jupiter Inlet to Sebastian Inlet. A flood watch was in effect for Palm Beach County, Broward County and Miami-Dade County.
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 04:03 pm
@panzade,
Uh, Oh. Nicole, if that is going to be her name, is heading almost due north at a rapid clip. Only 35 mph winds. The path (JPB will have a map, I am sure) has her clipping southern and eastern FL before coming ashore again in NC, my state of VA and then the east coast towards the weekend.
We badly need rain here, but...
panzade

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 04:15 pm
@realjohnboy,
It's been raining all day and even stranger for this time of year: a lot of lightning and thunder.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 04:23 pm
@realjohnboy,
No Nicole yet, Panz. Probably tomorrow.

Quote:
Forecast for TD 16
Because TD 16 is so large, it will take more time than a typical depression for it to spin up into a strong tropical storm. Given that the steering currents are expected to pull TD 16 north-northeastwards over Cuba and into South Florida and the western Bahamas on Wednesday, the storm lacks sufficient time over water to be any stronger than a 50 mph tropical storm for Florida. TD 16 is organizing pretty slowly this afternoon, and I think the top winds in Southeast Florida are most likely to be in the 25 - 35 mph range on Wednesday. Winds are likely to be stronger in the western Bahamas, perhaps 30 - 40 mph, since they will be in the stronger right front quadrant of the storm. By the time TD 16 makes landfall in South Carolina or North Carolina on Thursday morning, it could be as strong as a 50 - 60 mph tropical storm. However, wind shear will increase sharply on Thursday as TD 16 gets caught in an upper-level trough of low pressure, and NHC is giving TD 16 only a 9% chance of making it to hurricane strength before it becomes an extratropical storm on Thursday.

http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/images/at201016.gif
JPB

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 08:23 am
@JPB,
Looks like the entire eastern seaboard is in for a soaking.

http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/images/at201016_ensmodel.gif
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 08:31 am
Great! Well, at least it isn't a full blown hurricane.

The problem in our area, (NC) is that we have so many pine trees, which have shallow roots. We've had some decent moisture over the past few days already, so more rain along with winds of 35-55 can be enough to cause significant damage and threat from toppled trees. Hopefully, she will behave herself and calm down a bit before she gets here.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 08:36 am
A steady rain for two days and last night some pretty strong winds but if that's the worst for this year, I'm satisfied.
JPB

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 08:38 am
@panzade,
Really!

With 14 named storms this year, the US has certainly been lucky.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 08:41 am
It hasn't gotten to you yet, has it Pan?

Agree we've been very fortunate this year.
JPB

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 08:45 am
@squinney,
He's getting feeder bands

http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/storm_radar/at201016_radar.gif
squinney

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 08:48 am
Ah. I see. I might turn on the television now and then to keep me self informed. Then again, it's been so peaceful and I have A2K, so... Thank you!
JPB

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 08:49 am
@squinney,
I vote for peaceful...

Stay dry!!!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 08:52 am
@squinney,
Quote:
It hasn't gotten to you yet, has it Pan?

Nicole's been around for two days and is scheduled to leave us by tonight.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 08:53 am
@JPB,
Quote:
He's getting feeder bands

Actually she's smack dab over my house as we speak.
JPB

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 08:56 am
@panzade,
It looks like the COC is still off shore, but you're definitely on the wettest (north) side of the center. Should clear this afternoon sometime.
panzade

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 09:13 am
@JPB,
If you look at the map the center just passed to the right of Stuart where I live.