Evolution vs. Creation

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 04:17 pm
Hello, I created this Blog as a requirement for my Senior Project. We needed to present our projects to an audience that shares an interest in our topic. For my project I chose the topic of Evolution vs. Creation. I will discuss what both of them are in detail and it would be great for you to share your opinions and give me feedback whether it's positive or negative. Thank you so much!

Evolution:

What is it?
Evolution is the slow, yet gradual change from one form to another.

What are the details?
Evolution is also the genetic changes from a population of certain organisms from different generations. There is scientific evidence that organisms do not stay the same over many generations. A large portion of that proof comes from fossils. Evolution occurs through a process known as natural selection. Natural selection is when organisms of a specific species show many variations to due differences in their genes. Organisms with genes that allow them to breed and survive with success are then passed down to the following generations. If the environment changes and shows that there is more of an abundance in genes in the next generation, shows that the organism has evolved. Evolution shows that a species can go through many changes over time through changes in DNA, which these changes can commonly be known as mutations. Modern day plants an animals have a link to those of the past which they have descended from. For example, humans are known to have evolved from ape-like creatures, but are not the same as modern day apes. All species evolve, but they all evolve at different rates. Some species have hardly changed over millions of years. Yet, there are some species that evolve more rapidly.

The common traits between humans and primates can be explained. We share many unique features with the apes. Such as flattened finger nails, forward facing eyes, color vision, opposable thumbs, thirty-two teeth, enlarged ovaries, and prolonged parental care. All of these shared characteristics show us that our common ancestor with apes lived more recently than any other mammal. Molecular data tells us roughly when we diverged from our relatives, which was about seven million years ago. Humans share 98.5 percent of our DNA sequence with chimps. But more importantly what is our missing link? That is yet to be found out, but what we do know is that our missing link is closer in appearance to modern chimps than to modern humans. Our bones are similar as well, we have similar skulls, similar attachments of our femur to our pelvis, similar teeth, and our over all skeletal structure. We also know that humans had started to evolve in Africa, but part of it happened elsewhere(Coyne, 194-204).

Creation:
What is it?
Creation is God's act of bringing the universe into existence.

What are the details?
At the turn of the century, a lot of Protestants believed that the Bible was the literal truth. But however, many did not believe that the earth was created in only six days. Some also believed that the first line of Genesis referred to a large amount of time where matter, fossils, and life were all created. Later God then destroyed the pre-creation and a endemic restoration was constructed in 4004 B.C. With that restoration god had created animals, plants, and the rest of life in six days. Some interpreted that in the six days of creation were vast gulfs of time in which God created, and brought the world to life. They thought that no matter how old the world was, that God created life and humans and not evolution (Zimmer, 315). Some people follow the Bible as to how humans were created. This is where the story of Adam and Eve falls into play. In Christian, Islamic, and Jewish religions they believe that all humans descended from Adam and Eve. The story says that Adam and Eve were created by God himself to populate the earth and take care of his creation. The name Adam comes from the Hebrew adomah, meaning “man“. And the name Eve comes from the Hebrew word meaning “life“. It all started when God planted Adam in the Garden of Eden. After awhile God did not want Adam to go about living on his own, therefore Eve was created by causing a deep sleep to fall on Adam and then takes out one of his ribs. The first woman was created by the rib of Adam (Bradley).
In the story Adam and Eve lived in the garden of Eden. The garden was claimed to be perfect, with no weeds, thorns, and it was where their plants would grow easily. God had told Adam to keep the garden, name the animals, and eat the fruits. But God had told Adam not to eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. They are also claimed to be the first parents, and all humans have descended from them. Adam and Eve were said to have had fifty-six children. All of that was possible because the length of life spans were longer then because of a vapor canopy in the atmosphere. That made the earth hospitable to human life. But that canopy was destroyed due to the Flood, and the Flood contributed to the great amount of water covering the earth. Adam and Eve also were the first to disobey God. God had told Adam not to eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Eve was deceived by Satan speaking through a serpent and ate the fruit from the tree. Then she had taken the fruit to Adam. Adam ate the fruit even though he knew what he was doing was wrong. Because of that, God had told them to choose to believe Satan.
With time the started to experience a spiritual death, then a physical death. Adam and Eve were expelled from the garden by God and that is how sin had entered the world. From then on thorns and weeds would make gardening hard labor, women would give birth in pain, and animals had become dangerous and carnivorous . From then on the world was to be known as cursed. This is why there are unsaved people in this world who cause wars, murders, robberies, rapes, muggings, abductions, scams, cheating, infidelity and much more. So we are all born into this “cursed” world, and we have to make it before we can go to Heaven to be with God and be re-born again. And those who sin in life will pass over to live with Satan for all eternity (Bradley). There are many other religions that have different views on how the world and the first person were created, but the Christian faith is the most popular when it comes to the debate between evolution and creation.
Conclusion:
Both Evolution and science have very different views on how everything was created. It all depends on what you believe in. Many will disagree with me but I am taking the side of evolution because it's the only side with scientific proof. So, which side are you on?

Thank you for your time, and please leave comments!

Sources:
Coyne, Jerry A. Why Evolution Is True. New York: Viking, 2009. Print.http://www.allaboutcreation.org/adam-and-eve.htm.http://www.bible-knowledge.com/adam-and-eve/.
Allaboutcreation.org. Web. 13 May 2010.
Http://www.bible-knowledge.com. Michael Bradley, 1982. Web. 13 May 2010.
Zimmer, Carl. Evolution: the Triumph of an Idea. New York: HarperCollins, 2001. 315. Print.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,243 • Replies: 26
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 04:28 pm
@KSeniorProject10,
Evolution is a bunch of bunk. It requires that you believe that an incalculable number of improbable events randomly gives rise to some of the most complex systems imaginable.

What proof do you have to support your contention that evolution happened?

(by the way, good luck on your senior project) Smile
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 04:30 pm
@rosborne979,
Evolution was seeded by dust from comets. There is no such thing as spontaneous generation.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 04:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Evolution was seeded by dust from comets. There is no such thing as spontaneous generation.

God created the comets and put a bunch of junk on them to make it seem like evolution could have happened (this was done to test your faith) when in fact divine intervention is required at every important juncture of Creation.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 05:09 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

God created the comets and put a bunch of junk on them to make it seem like evolution could have happened (this was done to test your faith) when in fact divine intervention is required at every important juncture of Creation.

High five. Anybody can arrange fossils to look like they mean something. You could start with cat bones and arrange successive displays to make it look as though they evolved from squirrels if you want to.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 05:11 pm
You guys are baaaaaad.
farmerman

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 05:38 pm
@ossobuco,
If I walk out on the beach and find a :fossil" of a 747 engine. DId that engine make itself? Isnt its wonderful complexity proof that it was designed? Now, when we look at animal fossils in the hardened oozes of the Flood, do not these wonderfully complex rganisms also hint of a designer?

wandeljw

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 05:41 pm
If man evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?
farmerman

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 06:03 pm
@wandeljw,
So they can have Hockey Teams in Chicago
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 06:22 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
High five. Anybody can arrange fossils to look like they mean something. You could start with cat bones and arrange successive displays to make it look as though they evolved from squirrels if you want to.

Exactly. And an Omnipotent/Omniscient God could obviously do this easily. Therefor...
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 06:24 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
If I walk out on the beach and find a :fossil" of a 747 engine. DId that engine make itself? Isnt its wonderful complexity proof that it was designed? Now, when we look at animal fossils in the hardened oozes of the Flood, do not these wonderfully complex rganisms also hint of a designer?

Where are all the evolutionists when you want to start a good debate? They're probably all hanging around together at a damn Atheists convention or something.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 06:31 pm
@rosborne979,
Honk!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 06:34 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
Where are all the evolutionists when you want to start a good debate? They're probably all hanging around together at a damn Atheists convention or something.
They are busy indoctrinating our children with theseatheistic ideas. Do they nor read de SAde and VEblen?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 06:38 pm
KSenior, welcome to a2k, home of jokers of all sorts.

We have many threads on evolution and creationism here.
Link - evolution threads

With luck, you may get serious answers. Or perhaps some of the previous posters could point you to the most interesting/best argued of those twelve pages of threads.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 06:42 pm
@farmerman,
I was listening to a lecture by Ken Ham at the Creation Museum in Kentucky the other day and he clearly showed how these so-called "expert" scientists twist the facts and evidence by interpreting it in their own way.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 06:44 pm
Anybody as fine as Raquel Welch had to be created. No way that's an accident.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 06:44 pm
@rosborne979,
He is my favorite thinker and spreader of Gods own.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 06:45 pm
@ossobuco,
I think if KSenior wants to do a Senior Project on Creation/Evolution he should be able to debate his position. The best answers he's ever going to get will come from defending his own position. Right?
farmerman

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 06:48 pm
@rosborne979,
You cant argue with her. She has her mind set based on "facts" and "evidence". OHHH sure! just because theres all these "facts" and evidence" didnt God put it there? Can these E V O L U T I O N I S T S come up with anything more concrete than facts and evidence?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 06:51 pm
@rosborne979,
Of course, but his task was to interview people, gather and perhaps quantify opinions. Sort of a lambent task, I'll agree. You all are not being obedient! But I agree, engaging would be good.
0 Replies