sozobe

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 06:50 pm
Evil?

I'm not sure I trust the privacy elements if its so integrated with Facebook. And if the privacy can't be trusted, might as well just let 'em on Facebook as far as I can tell. Especially with the pre-written "quips" you have to choose from (as I understand it, maybe I'm wrong but seems like you can't write much yourself).

Anyone tried it yet?

http://togetherville.com/

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2010/05/togetherville-a-digital-training-ground-for-young-geeks/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 3,335 • Replies: 6
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 06:59 pm
@sozobe,
OK, they can type their own stuff but it needs to be approved. I think that's probably fine (they must be hiring a shitload of moderators though if they plan on this thing becoming at all popular...)

Quote:
One strength of the site -- moderated content -- is also a potential drawback. There are numerous Quips and Comments from which to choose, but they are all canned responses approved by Togetherville administrators. The few opportunities to freely create text require review and acceptance by staff before they will appear on the site. This was a turnoff for my son: "It's like they are saying that kids don't have the ingenuity to come up with their own posts."
jespah

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 05:58 am
@sozobe,
Sounds a little like a step to Wee World, which seems like a fine way to raise a budding little consumer (in all fairness to the Wee World moderators, I met a few of them at a social media event a few months ago and they were lovely people. Still, the site seems to be looking to monetize, well, everything.
mismi

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 06:10 am
@jespah,
Webkinz and Club Penguin have somewhat the same thing. Your pet can talk with the friends you make but you have to use pre-selected phrasing. I have just been letting my 10 yo's use e-mail. They swap e-mail addresses with their friends at school and e-mail each other.

I am a little leary of it Soz - mainly because of what you said, the security issue. I have to be honest - right now, I don't let them do anything on the computer unless I am in the den with them.

The e-mail thing will do for now.
sozobe

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 06:28 am
@mismi,
Yep, I was thinking the same thing, that it's similar to what they had on Webkinz. (Past tense because she hasn't been on the site in over a year and I'm sure her account has closed.) She didn't like that much at all.

Good point about email.

She loves Facebook though and really wants an account -- this seems like a sort of Facebook lite.

Agreed about monetizing, Jes. Togetherville is ad-free for now anyway, that's one positive, but I don't like the hard sell on viewing stuff (movie trailers etc... the line between that and ads seems very fine).
jespah

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 07:01 am
@sozobe,
I'm not even so sure it's a fine line, as getting people to view film trailers is a marketable commodity.
sozobe

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 08:00 am
@jespah,
The line is superfine for sure, but it's opt-in -- you have to choose to watch the trailer (click here, then click there, etc.), it doesn't just play automatically.

A friend has signed up, I'll see what she thinks of it before doing anything.
0 Replies